Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » trying to use a local cvs as repository for eclipse
trying to use a local cvs as repository for eclipse [message #684075] Wed, 15 June 2011 00:30 Go to next message
Dick Knox is currently offline Dick KnoxFriend
Fedora 14.

I want to use version control on my project and see that eclipse supports it via cvs. I've never used cvs, but I installed it and managed to get it set up.

I imported some stuff into a repository and checked it out, at the comand line.

Now I have not figured out how to get eclipse to recognize anything that is not reached via a web like connection.

I've tried more things than I can remember and spent hours on the web.

I could put my repository on a second local computer - not a bad idea - but if I can it would be nice if I could start by having in on my machine.

Can someone point me to a description of how this is done?

The "CVS Repository>New>Repository location" screen has rejected all my attempts to tell it that the file is local.

I believe it is trying to make a FTP connection.

I tried to direct it to anonymous@localhost/srv/csvroot/tahoo and it says "connection refused"

Ditto when I give it my user name and password

It rejects file/// notation

i also tried my computer name "knox.knox-data" - same deal.

Can anyone lead me out of my confusion??

Dick
Re: trying to use a local cvs as repository for eclipse [message #684300 is a reply to message #684075] Wed, 15 June 2011 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Webster is currently offline Paul WebsterFriend

CVS CLI supports something like :local:/opt/pwebster/cvsroot

That doesn't work in eclipse, at least not in the CVS team provider. I have 2 suggestions:

1) if you're just setting up and need a simple local SCM, try git. You can install EGit from http://download.eclipse.org/egit/updates-0.12 , the soon to be released http://download.eclipse.org/egit/updates-1.0 , or even http://download.eclipse.org/egit/updates-nightly for the latest.

The git client should install easily on F14, and there are lots of resources available like http://progit.org/

2) use :extssh:username@localhost:/opt/pwebster/cvsroot In effect you'll SSH to your own machine, but it works out of the box and you could set up your ssh keys so that it never asks for your password.

Re: trying to use a local cvs as repository for eclipse [message #684417 is a reply to message #684300] Wed, 15 June 2011 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul -- thanks so much

I like the concept of option 2 but when I tried to implement it in Eclipse It said

Error validating location
Could not connect to
:extssh:knox@localhost:/srv/cvsroot: CVS communication error
...$SSH2IOException: Connection refused

so I looked at System>Administration>Firewall. SSH is enabled with port/protocol 22/tcp

I tried
[knox@knox ~]$ ssh -l knox localhost
ssh: connect to host localhost port 22: Connection refused

My expertise lies on proprietary op systems that have long since met their maker and I'm less than expert in xnix.

Can you suggest an approach?

thanks

Dick
Re: trying to use a local cvs as repository for eclipse [message #684429 is a reply to message #684417] Wed, 15 June 2011 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Webster is currently offline Paul WebsterFriend

On all my boxes ssh just seems to work. The only thing I can suggest is to go to Services, and make sure that sshd has been started by your system.

PW

Re: trying to use a local cvs as repository for eclipse [message #684447 is a reply to message #684429] Wed, 15 June 2011 15:24 Go to previous message
you got it - it was not started - have done so and now I'm getting a request for my password when I try to access it from eclipse

again - thanks so much

i now have what i believe to be a minor problerm with an environmental variable but i expect to track it down pronto
Previous Topic:Package annotations, package-info.java and autocompletion
Next Topic:debug with attached sources: 2 tabs opened ".class" and ".java"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 02:25:00 GMT 2024