Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Epic problem with Eclipse(infinite loop)
Epic problem with Eclipse [message #673766] Tue, 24 May 2011 17:12 Go to next message
Fernando  is currently offline Fernando Friend
Hi all,
I am developing a plugin, it is a simple plug in that asks you a name for a file and the location of a file and it only has to rename the file with the given name, so when the finish button is pressed, my class is instantiated do the work, the problem comes here when I instantiate my class...
public boolean performFinish() {
file=new fileConverter();
return true;
}
I have debug it in the instantiation and the problem is the next one at the class window.class:
while (loopShell != null && !loopShell.isDisposed()) {
try {
if (!display.readAndDispatch()) {
display.sleep();
}
} catch (Throwable e) {
exceptionHandler.handleException(e);
}
}
it seems the program stays at the while forever and my plug in crashes, does anybody has an idea of what is going on?
Thank you all.

[Updated on: Tue, 24 May 2011 17:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Epic problem with Eclipse [message #673771 is a reply to message #673766] Tue, 24 May 2011 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Webster is currently offline Paul WebsterFriend

Does your fileConverter class ever get instantiated? Does it throw an exception, or does the method get to return "true"?

PW

Re: Epic problem with Eclipse [message #673779 is a reply to message #673771] Tue, 24 May 2011 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it try to gets instantiated, but in the process it ends in this loop of the class Window.class at the method runEventLoop and it cant get out of here, the method performFinish() is just the method called when the plug in is finished.
Re: Epic problem with Eclipse [message #673791 is a reply to message #673779] Tue, 24 May 2011 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Sorry, I'm asking if you set a breakpoint on your "new" call, do you ever reach that point. Or are you saying clicking on Finish never calls your code?

PW

Re: Epic problem with Eclipse [message #674085 is a reply to message #673791] Wed, 25 May 2011 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It reaches the point it enters to the "new" for "trying" to instantiate the class in the process it starts to open a lot of classes of eclipse i think just and in the Window.class it fails
Re: Epic problem with Eclipse [message #674310 is a reply to message #674085] Thu, 26 May 2011 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

So it goes into "new fileConverter();" and never comes back.

Where does it fail? Loading Window.class? What's the error? What's the stack trace?

PW

Re: Epic problem with Eclipse [message #674433 is a reply to message #674310] Thu, 26 May 2011 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It never comes back, while it is at the Window.class it gets at the code:
while (loopShell != null && !loopShell.isDisposed()) {
try {
if (!display.readAndDispatch()) {
display.sleep();
}
} catch (Throwable e) {
exceptionHandler.handleException(e);
}
}
and it only stays at this while forever in the exactly point of the if...
Re: Epic problem with Eclipse [message #674566 is a reply to message #674433] Fri, 27 May 2011 11:30 Go to previous message

When it hits the readAndDispatch() call that you say it is stuck at ... please post a stack trace of that stack. This is a must. Show us the stack so we can know what the program thinks it is doing.

Also, you weren't clear about the actual steps that cause the problem.

1) the dialog appears
2) the user enters the new name
3) the user clicks Finish
... and then it just hangs? Or it actually executes the code in performFinish() and then hangs?

PW

Previous Topic:Is it possible to add eclipse main menu group
Next Topic:update site project does not update artifacts after second build
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 12:47:50 GMT 2024