Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » (no subject)
(no subject) [message #672933] Sun, 22 May 2011 11:18
Joerg is currently offline JoergFriend
Hi there,
I just stumbled over XText and wonder if it might be the tool I'm looking for. I'd like first to explain my field of application and then specify the requirements known so far.

For some kind of discrete event simulation software I have to create objects that will interact with the underlying simulation framework. The users which will develop the simulation models are mainly biologists with limited experience in programming; they still have to learn programming but will not devote their work on it.
For several reasons I'd like the users to work with the Eclipse IDE for implementing the simulation. At a first glance the use of a dsl with a close integration into Eclipse IDE like XText looks feasible to me.

Flipping through the documentation, reading lots of acronyms I'm still a little bit confused if XText is the tool I'm looking for so I'd like to ask for help and/or suggestions in this forum.

The requirements for the dsl and programming environment as known today are:

description of classes/objects in a dsl
Creation of java code:

creation of member fields
creation of methods
inheritance support
support of primitive types
support of object creation

full support of the debugger

mapping of the debugged code to the dsl code
support of inspecting fields and objects

Simply said I'd like to develop a programming language that will use an underlying simulation framework, I'd like to hide the simulation framework before the user and also like to use the debugger for inspecting the program during runtime. I'd prefer using primitive types like long or double and not encapsulating these in Long or Double objects.

The question are:

Does XText fit into the requirements?
Is there any tool that might be a better solution for me (sorry XText team for asking this one here)?
Which additional tools/libraries/framework might be used or are required?

Thanks
Jörg
Previous Topic:(no subject)
Next Topic:(no subject)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:45:18 GMT 2024