Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Remote Application Platform (RAP) » Running multiple instances of RAP application in embedded Jetty
Running multiple instances of RAP application in embedded Jetty [message #672139] Fri, 20 May 2011 03:16 Go to next message
Vaughn  is currently offline Vaughn Friend
I was wondering if there was a way to run multiple instances of a RAP application deployed with embedded jetty, without running multiple instances of the eclipse launcher configured to listen on different ports.

If I define multiple entry points or IApplication instances and hit them with different browser windows, the session ends in one window and transfers to the other because the session is shared and multiple windows per session are not supported in RAP.

What I'm hoping to achieve is having something like this:

<hostname>:<port>/appcopy1
<hostname>:<port>/appcopy2

where appcopy1 and appcopy2 are treated as completely separate applications/sessions (even though they are running from the same code on the same host/port).

Is this possible? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Vaughn
Re: Running multiple instances of RAP application in embedded Jetty [message #672157 is a reply to message #672139] Fri, 20 May 2011 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Appel is currently offline Frank AppelFriend
Vaughn,

if you only want to use this on your local machine, you can disable cookies in your browser (e.g. filter cookies for localhost/127.0.0.1). After that RWT will run appcopy1 and appcopy2 in separate sessions (I assume you'll open the apps in separate browser tabs/windows).

In general you could think of configuring the servlet container so that it deactivates session cookies for the RWT app in question.

Hope that helps
Frank
Re: Running multiple instances of RAP application in embedded Jetty [message #672330 is a reply to message #672157] Fri, 20 May 2011 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vaughn  is currently offline Vaughn Friend
Thanks Frank - that does help.

One other question, is it possible to programmatically or otherwise control which servlet/entry point uses session cookies. For instance if we wanted to maintain the session cookie (and therefore the old workspace settings) for /appcopy1 but not /appcopy2, would we be able to do it?

Thanks again,
Vaughn
Re: Running multiple instances of RAP application in embedded Jetty [message #673277 is a reply to message #672330] Mon, 23 May 2011 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vaughn,

I do not think that this is possible. At least I am not aware of a mechanism that allows such a fine grained adjustment out of the box. In general cookie handling is servlet container specific and not part of the servlet API. RAP entry points do not provide any API for that matter at the time being. If you think this would be a worthwhile feature feel free to open a feature request.

Regards
Frank
Re: Running multiple instances of RAP application in embedded Jetty [message #673278 is a reply to message #673277] Mon, 23 May 2011 05:30 Go to previous message
Vaughn,

just one word to my previous post. With "In general cookie handling is servlet container specific..." I refer to the session cookie provided by the servlet container. Of course there is an API for general cookie handling in the servlet specification.

Regards
Frank
Previous Topic:AbstractThemeAdapter#getPrimaryElement
Next Topic:Non-serializable attribute org.eclipse.rwt.internal.service.SessionStoreImpl
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 05:05:13 GMT 2024