Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Checking Out Project(how to svn check out a project into eclipse)
Checking Out Project [message #671998] Thu, 19 May 2011 14:34 Go to next message
BYL  is currently offline BYL Friend
Hi,

I'm new to programming, and to the eclipse environment. Maybe someone can help me get set up.

My goal is to use svn to check out the files of the website I am working on, properly into an eclipse project.

I have downloaded eclipse-java-helios-SR1-win32-x86_64 and installed it on my computer. I also have Subclipse installed. But when I check out my folders, all direct child folders within the repository I'm checking out from, become "project"s in themselves!

1. Shouldn't all the folders of the website be in one project? How do I get this set up properly?

2. Right now, the files are all in regular eclipse "projects". Should they be Dynamic Web Projects instead? Many of these pages are dynamic web pages, like JSP.

I'd appreciate any advice or pointers in the right direction, thank you,

BYL
Re: Checking Out Project [message #672032 is a reply to message #671998] Thu, 19 May 2011 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 19-May-11 08:34, BYL wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to programming, and to the eclipse environment. Maybe someone
> can help me get set up.
>
> My goal is to use svn to check out the files of the website I am working
> on, properly into an eclipse project.
> I have downloaded eclipse-java-helios-SR1-win32-x86_64 and installed it
> on my computer. I also have Subclipse installed. But when I check out my
> folders, all direct child folders within the repository I'm checking out
> from, become "project"s in themselves!
>
> 1. Shouldn't all the folders of the website be in one project? How do I
> get this set up properly?
>
> 2. Right now, the files are all in regular eclipse "projects". Should
> they be Dynamic Web Projects instead? Many of these pages are dynamic
> web pages, like JSP.
>
> I'd appreciate any advice or pointers in the right direction, thank you,
> BYL

I don't know how others do it, but I use svn (on Linux) and TortoiseSVN
(the rare times I work on Windoz) independently of Eclipse to "check
out" code. Then, I use Subclipse from within Eclipse (Team menu) to
update, commit, revert files, etc.

If what's in your repository already consists of Eclipse projects, then
you need only create a workspace, then use File -> Import -> General ->
Import Existing Projects into Workspace to get them into Eclipse. They
will come in as what they're supposed to be, be it Java Project, Dynamic
Web Project, etc. because they come in as what they were created as.

It depends totally on what your colleagues did to create and develop
these projects rather than your estimation. If they were working as Java
Projects, then it's hard to imagine changing that even though, as you, I
imagine JSPs more in the context of a Dynamic Web Project. Presumably,
these projects worked in the first place or you would not attempt to use
them.

Were the top folders in the "project" not projects themselves? Note that
Eclipse does not support hierarchical projects (projects within
projects) per se. You can recognize a project in the filesystem by
observing .classpath file and a .project subdirectory inside. If those
are present, then the folder's author created an Eclipse project of that
folder.

To say more, I would have to know much more. Others may have better
comments to make.
Re: Checking Out Project [message #672944 is a reply to message #672032] Sun, 22 May 2011 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Thank you so much for your pointers.

I don't see any .classpath files, or .project files in the top folders, which became projects when checked out into eclipse. I assume then, according to what you mentioned before, that these folders were not created as eclipse projects in the first place. There is really no way for me to contact the people who created this website so as to ask them what development environment they used to create it, and what kind of project they built it as...

My question now is: Would it be problematic to work on my files as they are now in Eclipse, or would this somehow mess things up - add .project files to my svn repository when I commit, or make some other change?

In addition, can I connect Eclipse to Apache Tomcat, which I have installed, in order to run the the JSP files on it: Does this work with regular Eclipse projects, or do I need them to be dynamic web projects to do this? (I have Tomcat installed properly, and also have the WTP Eclipse plugin).

Thanks again,

BYL
(no subject) [message #672973 is a reply to message #672032] Sun, 22 May 2011 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I don't see any .classpath files, or .project files in the top folders, which became projects when checked out into eclipse. I assume then, according to what you mentioned before, that these folders were not created as eclipse projects in the first place. There is really no way for me to contact the people who created this website so as to ask them what development environment they used to create it, and what kind of project they built it as...

My question now is: Would it be problematic to work on my files as they are now in Eclipse, or would this somehow mess things up - add .project files to my svn repository when I commit, or make some other change?

In addition, can I connect Eclipse to Apache Tomcat, which I have installed, in order to run the the JSP files on it: Does this work with regular Eclipse projects, or do I need them to be dynamic web projects to do this? (I have Tomcat installed properly, and also have the WTP Eclipse plugin).

Thanks again,

BYL
(no subject) [message #672997 is a reply to message #672032] Sun, 22 May 2011 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Thanks again,

BYL
(no subject) [message #673033 is a reply to message #672032] Sun, 22 May 2011 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Thanks again,

BYL
(no subject) [message #673054 is a reply to message #672032] Sun, 22 May 2011 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Thanks again,

BYL
(no subject) [message #673066 is a reply to message #672032] Sun, 22 May 2011 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Thanks again,

BYL
(no subject) [message #673077 is a reply to message #672032] Sun, 22 May 2011 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Thanks again,

BYL
(no subject) [message #673136 is a reply to message #672032] Sun, 22 May 2011 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Thanks again,

BYL
Re: Checking Out Project [message #673164 is a reply to message #672944] Sun, 22 May 2011 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On 2011.05.22 7:04, BYL wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thank you so much for your pointers.
> I don't see any .classpath files, or .project files in the top folders,
> which became projects when checked out into eclipse. I assume then,
> according to what you mentioned before, that these folders were not
> created as eclipse projects in the first place. There is really no way
> for me to contact the people who created this website so as to ask them
> what development environment they used to create it, and what kind of
> project they built it as...
>
> My question now is: Would it be problematic to work on my files as they
> are now in Eclipse, or would this somehow mess things up - add .project
> files to my svn repository when I commit, or make some other change?
>
> In addition, can I connect Eclipse to Apache Tomcat, which I have
> installed, in order to run the the JSP files on it: Does this work with
> regular Eclipse projects, or do I need them to be dynamic web projects
> to do this? (I have Tomcat installed properly, and also have the WTP
> Eclipse plugin).
>
> Thanks again,
>
> BYL

Here's an example of setting up Eclipse projects from non-Eclipse work:

http://www.javahotchocolate.com/tutorials/corejsf.html

Create instead of importing your projects. When it comes to where the
source is, don't take the wizard's default, but chose to create project
from existing sources. That will hook you up to the sources you
downloaded using svn co.

You should not have any trouble using Subversion via the Team menu. If
you want to ready a third point of view on this, see these two links:

http://www.javahotchocolate.com/tutorials/subclipse.html
http://www.javahotchocolate.com/tutorials/tortoisesvn.html

Yes, you need to create Dynamic Web Projects to use Tomcat (at least,
the DWP is the easiest path thereto).

You say you have the WTP plug-in... If you have the least bit of
trouble, I'd say go back and download Eclipse IDE for JEE Developers
instead of updating an existing Eclipse to handle WTP.
Re: Checking Out Project [message #674328 is a reply to message #673164] Thu, 26 May 2011 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks so much for the help. The tutorials are very clear. Now I have a new question which came up as I am trying to follow the instructions in the tutorial: Can I do JSP work with Apache Tomcat version 4.1, on Eclipse? This is the version of Tomcat that the company I belong to uses...

Thanks so much!

BYL
Re: Checking Out Project [message #674345 is a reply to message #674328] Thu, 26 May 2011 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On 26-May-11 08:21, BYL wrote:
> Thanks so much for the help. The tutorials are very clear. Now I have a
> new question which came up as I am trying to follow the instructions in
> the tutorial: Can I do JSP work with Apache Tomcat version 4.1, on
> Eclipse? This is the version of Tomcat that the company I belong to uses...
>
> Thanks so much!
>
> BYL

Wow. Pretty ancient stuff. I don't see why not, however. I have a
(rather old, long and boring, but highly detailed) tutorial on doing
JSPs in Eclipse with Tomcat. you could look at that. Just substitute
your preferred version for the one (5.5?) that tutorial suggests.

http://www.javahotchocolate.com/wtp-tutorials/wtp-tutorial.html
Re: Checking Out Project [message #675761 is a reply to message #674345] Wed, 01 June 2011 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks so much. I'll take a look at that.
Re: Checking Out Project [message #675789 is a reply to message #674345] Wed, 01 June 2011 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks so much! These tutorials are amazingly clear!

I have followed most of the tutorial about Using the Eclipse Web Tools Platform with Apache Tomcat successfully. I've ensured that I can create a dynamic web project in eclipse, and run it on Tomcat, which I have installed.

Now I need to import the project I've been working on into eclipse, so that I can work on it there.

The tutorial "How to Set Up Core JavaServer Faces Example Code in Eclipse" helps me understand the idea, but it's based on newer versions of Tomcat, which seem quite different from 4.1, which is what I'm using. I don't think I can use the JavaServer Faces v1.2 Project configuration for this project, which seems to be a main part of the above tutorial...

Do you know of a tutorial which can bring me through the process of importing my project into a dynamic web project in eclipse, using the old versions that I'm using?

(I don't know which type of project this project I want to import was created as. I don't think it's a Java project, or a dynamic web project.)

Thanks so very very much, this has been a big help.

BYL

[Updated on: Wed, 01 June 2011 15:04]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Checking Out Project [message #677603 is a reply to message #675789] Wed, 08 June 2011 22:18 Go to previous message

On 2011.06.01 8:00, BYL wrote:
> Thanks so much! These tutorials are amazingly clear!
>
> I have followed most of the tutorial about Using the Eclipse Web Tools
> Platform with Apache Tomcat successfully. I've ensured that I can create
> a dynamic web project in eclipse, and run it on Tomcat, which I have
> installed.
>
> Now I need to import the project I've been working on into eclipse, so
> that I can work on it there.
>
> The tutorial "How to Set Up Core JavaServer Faces Example Code in
> Eclipse" helps me understand the idea, but it's based on newer versions
> of Tomcat, which seem quite different from 4.1, which is what I'm using.
> I don't think I can use the JavaServer Faces v1.2 Project configuration
> for this project, which seems to be a main part of the above tutorial...
>
> Do you know of a tutorial which can bring me through the process of
> importing my project into a dynamic web project in eclipse, using the
> old versions that I'm using?
>
> Thanks so very very much, this has been a big help.
>
> BYL

(Sorry, was in hospital for a week.)

My Helios certainly support Tomcat 4.1. If you have specially failing
functionality, it would be better to ask in the Eclipse WTP forum about it.
Previous Topic:How to convert from Ant project to maven project?
Next Topic:The content of element type "*" must match
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 23 19:15:50 GMT 2024