Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Memory Analyzer » Cannot find HashSet in Main Thread
Cannot find HashSet in Main Thread [message #666498] Wed, 20 April 2011 15:30 Go to next message
EclipseUser001 is currently offline EclipseUser001Friend
http://www.thestoufferfamily.com/images/mat-screenshot.png

I am unable to locate my memory leak. Is this a ThreadLocal thing? I don't have any HashSet in my Main Thread. Is there a better way to locate the source of the memory leak?
Re: Cannot find HashSet in Main Thread [message #666518 is a reply to message #666498] Wed, 20 April 2011 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Krum Tsvetkov is currently offline Krum TsvetkovFriend
Hi,

The <java local> means that somewhere on the callstack of the main thread there is a local object of type HashSet which is pretty big. And by local I mean either a local variable in some of the methods, or an object passed as a parameter in some of the methods being executed.

I think it may be helpful to:
- look at the content of the Set - from the report you can open the objects and further explore them manually
- look at the stacktrace. It depends on the VM that generated the heap dump if stacktrace information is inside. JDK 1.6 dumps have it, 1.5 don't. IBM system dumps also have thread stack info. Just try to open the object, then select from the context menu "Java Basic" -> "Thread Stacks"

Let me know if this hints help.

Krum
Re: Cannot find HashSet in Main Thread [message #666778 is a reply to message #666518] Fri, 22 April 2011 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you, this helps a bit. I still can't find why the objects are not being released, and where they are coming from.

I really need to get the Thread Stack info to determine this. I tried using JRE1.6 but nothing shows up when I view the Thread Stack.

I used jre1.6.0_01\bin\javaw.exe

Any suggestions?

Re: Cannot find HashSet in Main Thread [message #666898 is a reply to message #666778] Sun, 24 April 2011 01:56 Go to previous message
I finally tracked it down. Had to use JProfiler for some reason to pick up the culprits. Thanks for your help.
Previous Topic:Unable to figure out HashMap values - (use of Hash Entries context menu)
Next Topic:Dominator tree and weak references
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 18:10:46 GMT 2024