Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Platform - User Assistance (UA) » How to group books in InfoCenter?
How to group books in InfoCenter? [message #666257] Tue, 19 April 2011 16:03 Go to next message
Eclipse User is currently offline Eclipse UserFriend
Hi, there:

I am not able to figure out how to group books in InfoCenter. It seems to me that books can only be listed on the top level on the Contents panel. Since I have a long list of books, what I want to achieve is like following:

Product XYZ Documents ---- This is actually the title for the group of books
___XYZ Glossary -- book1
___XYZ User Guide -- book2
___XYZ Integration Guide -- book3

The toc.xml bellow shows the hierarchy I want. But it is incorrect in that now "Product XYZ Documents" is considered as a book and book1 - 3 are considered as chapters in the "Product XYZ Documents". This is misleading especially when running search. The return results are labeled to be from "Product XYZ Documents" instead of book1 -3.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<?NLS TYPE="org.eclipse.help.toc"?>
<toc label="Product XYZ Documents" topic="html/book_bgn.html" >

<topic label="XYZ Glossary" >
<link toc="../GLOS_ECLIPSE/toc.xml" />
</topic>

<topic label="XYZ User Guide" >
<link toc="../UG_ECLIPSE/toc.xml" />
</topic>

<topic label="XYZ Integration Guide" >
<link toc="../IG_ECLIPSE/toc.xml" />
</topic>

</toc>

Your kind suggestions/helps are highly appreciated.

Mei
Re: How to group books in InfoCenter? [message #666533 is a reply to message #666257] Wed, 20 April 2011 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jennifer Skiendzielewski is currently offline Jennifer SkiendzielewskiFriend
The only way I know to do this (and this is in a very old version of eclipse) is to create a "navigation plugin," which contains links to the top-level TOC file for each of my sub-books.

The plugin.xml for the navigation plugin looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<?eclipse version="3.0"?>
<plugin name="Product name" id="com.company.product" version="2.1" provider="Company">
<extension id="helpProduct" point="org.eclipse.core.runtime.products">
<product name="Product name" application="" />
</extension>
<extension point="org.eclipse.help.toc">
<toc file="aiwnav.xml" primary="true" />
</extension>
</plugin>

And the aiwnav.xml file looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<?NLS TYPE="org.eclipse.help.toc"?>
<toc label="Product Name" topic="welcome.html">
<link toc="../com.company.book1/toc.xml" />
<link toc="../com.company.book2/toc.xml" />
<link toc="../com.company.book3/toc.xml" />
</toc>

Each of those books has a plugin.xml file, which declares its toc file as "primary=true", but somehow they only show up in the TOC as children of the navigation plugin.

This might be a deprecated method-- like I said, we're only using it in an old version of eclipse. And someone else implemented it; I'm just keeping it going. But maybe it's enough to get you started.

[Updated on: Wed, 20 April 2011 18:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to group books in InfoCenter? [message #666717 is a reply to message #666533] Thu, 21 April 2011 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks very much for the reply. I have tried this solution myself. Unfortunately, like what you have mentioned, the books are considered as chapters/children of the group. The search results are therefore labelled incorrectly under the group name instead of actual books.
Re: How to group books in InfoCenter? [message #666830 is a reply to message #666717] Fri, 22 April 2011 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Goldthorpe is currently offline Chris GoldthorpeFriend
When you build a larger TOC from several smaller ones it is displayed to the user as a single book, the sub TOCs lose their individual identity. The implementation does not currently allow for books to appear at the second level of the tree.
Re: How to group books in InfoCenter? [message #667010 is a reply to message #666830] Mon, 25 April 2011 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks indeed for the information!
Re: How to group books in InfoCenter? [message #667265 is a reply to message #666257] Wed, 27 April 2011 18:00 Go to previous message
Robert.PearsonFriend
What I have been doing for making my groups--since I generate my JAR files with WebWorks--is group them in the WebWorks project. I have several Framemaker books inside one project, and the "books" within the top-level book are each a Frame book with the style designer used to sort out how page breaks and TOC are managed.

Of course this only helps if you're using Framemaker.
Previous Topic:Problem With Images In The Help File
Next Topic:How to configure secure access to InfoCenter based on jetty?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 04:32:33 GMT 2024