Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » GEF » GEF Performance Issue(GEF is very slow while updating /Sync / Generation of Diagrams! )
icon8.gif  GEF Performance Issue [message #664255] Fri, 08 April 2011 06:07 Go to next message
Karan  is currently offline Karan Friend
Hello to all,

We are using GEF in an ER diagramming tool.
We have found that GEF is very very slow.

For example, when we reverse engineer from a Database having 210 entities having an average of 10 attributes it takes 30 Seconds (!) to finally render the image! This is unacceptable.

Does GEF take that much time?

Can any of you tell me / direct me to some link which provides the Time complexity (Or any other Statistic) for GEF?

We have found GEF requiring huge amounts of coding to the point of it being very difficult to handle.

Can any of you share the time it takes to have a large diagram rendered on your screen? Or is it that the time taken in our tool is somehting unique and that we are missing something here?

Thank you,
Re: GEF Performance Issue [message #671839 is a reply to message #664255] Thu, 19 May 2011 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Girish Kumar is currently offline Girish KumarFriend
My Dear Friend , Your Model is Saved in DB and as you said ,its 210 entities ,.....
I think most of the time is taken by your utility for fetching the entities ,converting them into in mem objects as required by GEF,
This has nothing to do with GEF ....

You need to concentrate on your Utility , as Given the Models to GEF , it paints within 2 sec(That to most of the time is taken in opening the Editor ) ,if your Diagram contains large amount of figures , probably it takes another 1 or 2 sec more ....

I'd recently performed tests to find out the time taken by GEF ..... I serialised the Entire Inmem model and deserialised it on open (I din count the time of deserialisation) after that it was like flash (it hardly took 2 sec for painting 20 figures and more than 50 connectors )

I truly Agree with your second comment , Thats because you might be following One Model -One EditPart -One Figure (so if you have 10 different types of model ,so is 10 Editparts and 10 figures )..... I Suggest you to reuse the Editparts ,if possible , There is one article on efficiently using GEF Editparts ..... (I cant post the link as this is my 4th post)

Regards

[Updated on: Thu, 19 May 2011 07:15]

Report message to a moderator

Re: GEF Performance Issue [message #673665 is a reply to message #671839] Tue, 24 May 2011 12:33 Go to previous message
Karan  is currently offline Karan Friend
Hi Girish, thank you for your reply.
The model is not getting saved in the database, it is saved inmem.. infacct finally into a flat file.

Quote:

I think most of the time is taken by your utility for fetching the entities ,converting them into in mem objects as required by GEF,
This has nothing to do with GEF ....

You need to concentrate on your Utility , as Given the Models to GEF , it paints within 2 sec(That to most of the time is taken in opening the Editor ) ,if your Diagram contains large amount of figures , probably it takes another 1 or 2 sec more ....

When we reverse engineer 210 entities,
1. It takes about 1 minute to read the meta data etc... WHICH IS FINE.
I do not have a problem with this.

2. After storing the model inmem, THEN I am calling generate Diagram.. and therefore it takes 30 seconds miminum...

This is the issue..

Quote:

I'd recently performed tests to find out the time taken by GEF ..... I serialised the Entire Inmem model and deserialised it on open (I din count the time of deserialisation) after that it was like flash (it hardly took 2 sec for painting 20 figures and more than 50 connectors )

How much time did it take on Deserialization + drawing the diagram? Was it considerably more?

.. and also... 20 Figures and 50+ connectors is fine... most EDBMS would have 200+ tables. I am sure, 20 figures would never have been a problem and would have generated real quick...
I am talking about 210 figures + 400(+) connectors (which is very common in Enterprise Wide DBMS )..
We also have test cases having 20 odd figures etc.. and we know that they do get generated quickly....

So.. What is the time you would normally get in that one??
Thanks

[Updated on: Tue, 24 May 2011 12:37]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Modify default PolylineConnection length
Next Topic:Best way to set a GEF editor to be read-only (uneditable, with limited interaction)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 03:39:49 GMT 2024