Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Android XML file GUI editor doesn't let me add anything to a PreferenceScreen
Android XML file GUI editor doesn't let me add anything to a PreferenceScreen [message #663015] Sat, 02 April 2011 03:02 Go to next message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
ADT version: 10.0.1.v201103111512-110841

First of all, is this the best forum to ask question about the ADT? I did some searching, and it looks like there isn't an android-specific forum on eclipse.org.

I was following a tutorial in Learning Android, and I got to the point where I had to create a preferences XML file. I created the "empty" prefs.xml file, specifying a "Preference" file. It opened up in the GUI editor for the file and listed a "PreferenceScreen" node at the top (with a "P" icon before it).

On the right side, I thought it was curious that there was a section titled "Unknown XML Attributes", and it listed the "xmlns:android" attribute.

I then tried to add a node to the PreferenceScreen element, by clicking "Add". This brings up a curious dialog. The only visible text says "Create a new element at the top level, in PreferenceScreen.". Below that is what is likely a filter field, and below that is a list box. Both the filter field and list box are empty and appear to be insensitive, not to mention the "OK" button. In fact, the only part of the dialog that is not insensitive are the window controls (min, max, close). There doesn't appear to be anything I can do here.

I'm sure I can enter what I need in the raw mode, but I would think this should work. I'll file a bug unless someone points out something obviously wrong that I'm doing.
Re: Android XML file GUI editor doesn't let me add anything to a PreferenceScreen [message #663036 is a reply to message #663015] Sat, 02 April 2011 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Schindl is currently offline Thomas SchindlFriend
Am 01.04.11 20:02, schrieb David M. Karr:
> ADT version: 10.0.1.v201103111512-110841
>
> First of all, is this the best forum to ask question about the ADT? I

No. Please ask at their google groupe. Which linked from their community
page http://developer.android.com/resources/community-groups.html

Tom
Re: Android XML file GUI editor doesn't let me add anything to a PreferenceScreen [message #716178 is a reply to message #663015] Tue, 16 August 2011 15:52 Go to previous message
Babu Subramanian is currently offline Babu SubramanianFriend
I too experienced the same problem. Curiously, in the drop down box for 'Select the root element for the XML file:', I found two entries. When I selected the second entry and created the Android XML file, the problem vanished! Not sure whether it will happen for you though. Good luck!
Previous Topic:Eclipse Indigo For Mac os x - Crash when opening
Next Topic:Why JDT is not in eclipse market?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Sep 21 07:41:25 GMT 2024