Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse on Snow Leopard with older JDK(Builds project fine with 1.5.0_24, but does not recognize 1.5.0_28; need help diagnosing)
Eclipse on Snow Leopard with older JDK [message #662973] Fri, 01 April 2011 16:17
mwagner  is currently offline mwagner Friend
I've been happily using Eclipse for almost two years now, and this is the first time something inexplicable is happening. First some details:

I'm using Eclipse 3.5.2 on OS X, v 10.6.7.

We develop for both 1.6 and 1.5: our production JBoss 4.2.2 GA app is still being ported to the 1.6 JDK to run on JBoss 5, so we have a legitimate need to develop on both JDKs (maintaining the old one with the occasional fix, which necessitates building against the 1.5 JDK for reasons I won't go into here).

I've successfully (til now) followed the instructions here to get my project building against JDK 1.5.

http://chxor.chxo.com/post/183013153/installing-java-1-5-on- snow-leopard

The most recent one I had working was 1.5.0_24, but I had 1.5.0_22 and a previous version all working before then as well: they showed up in Snow Leopard's Java Console, and Eclipse and Maven had no trouble building against them.

At the beginning of March, Apple released its vetted version of JDK 1.5.0_28 (but only for Leopard; Apple only maintains Java 1.6 on Snow Leopard). Once I got past the issues that Pacifist (www.charlessoft.com) had with extracting 1.5.0_28 on my system, I manually archived the previous version (1.5.0_24) and substituted the new one in its place. This is where the mystery is:

Both versions of the JDK can be used interchangeably and correctly by Snow Leopard's command-line mvn (3.0.2) when in the expected location, which I've tested by swapping each one into that location at a time. Eclipse and its m2eclipse plugin, however, do not appear to recognize the new version when it is swapped in. I receive the following error:

JavaVM: requested Java version (1.5.0) not available.  Using Java at "/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0_24-b07-334.jdk/Contents/Home" instead.

First - can anyone confirm that this error is coming from the m2eclipse plugin, in which case I'll take my grief to the maven folks, or is it coming from Eclipse?

Second - under Eclipse prefs -> Installed JRE's, I can confirm that even with the automated search Eclipse has no problem finding and identifying the 1.5/1.5.0 JDK locations and jars on my Mac.

Third - the Apple JDK 1.5.0_24 and 1.5.0_28 packages are structurally identical, and all my other apps seem to think so as well, so I can't understand why Eclipse and its mvn disagree.

So -

Can anyone tell me where this message is coming from, or why I'm seeing it only when the new JDK is in place? Has anyone else had this issue? Does anyone know how Eclipse and its mvn plugin go about identifying the available Java versions, and why one build would be identified correctly but the other might not?

I'm happy to supply more diagnostic info if it will help someone help me track down the issues :o)

Many thanks,
...matt
Previous Topic:Online payment connection
Next Topic:Installing Google SDK's failling
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 05:28:10 GMT 2024