Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Problems with product and multi user install
Problems with product and multi user install [message #661844] Mon, 28 March 2011 08:47
Tom Quarendon is currently offline Tom QuarendonFriend
Eclipse 3.6.1 on Linux

I have an eclipse based product, but it seems that whenever I try and set up a multi-user install, once the config.ini has been written to a different place the branding goes away.

If I take a vanilla "eclipse platform" install, add my plugins and features, then modify the config.ini file to change the "eclipse.product" and "osgi.splashPath" and then start eclipse, the product comes up correctly. I get the right splash screen, the right perspective comes up etc.

I then close down eclipse, and look at the rewritten config.ini file in the eclipse/configuration directory. It all seems as I expect, and still has my eclipse.product and osgi.splashPath in (I can tell from the timestamp at the top that it's just been rewritten by eclipse closing). Restarting eclipse then still has the same branding.

I then repeat the whole process, but this time make the eclipse installation directory readonly. First time it comes up fine, using the now readonly config.ini file. I then close down eclipse, forcing it to rewrite the config.ini file into my ~/.eclipse/.../configuration/config.ini directory. If I then look at the generated config.ini file I find that the eclipse.product and osgi.splashPath properties have reverted to default values, org.eclipse.platform.ide and platform\:/base/plugins/org.eclipse.platform. Then when I restart eclipse I get the default eclipse splash, rather than my product's splash. The same happens if I don't make the eclipse directory readonly, but instead set an explicit osgi.configuration.area property in the config.ini.

So as far as I can tell the multi-user install support doesn't seem to work properly with eclipse based products.

Is this a known problem with a known solution? Or am I doing something wrong in my set up that is causing this.
Previous Topic:How to set background color for UI Element associated with command ?
Next Topic:CommonNavigator with resources + own navigatorContent
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 04:42:42 GMT 2024