Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » newbie Q - best practice reviewing diff local/remote master
newbie Q - best practice reviewing diff local/remote master [message #661673] Sat, 26 March 2011 01:38 Go to next message
Henrik Lindberg is currently offline Henrik LindbergFriend
Messages: 2509
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi,
When I can't push to a remote repository because the push is not a fast
forward and I need to do a pull, I would like to know the difference
between what I am about to pull and what I have committed locally. (I an
also interested in diff between "pull" and workspace, but this is not as
important).

I want to know this because I want to know how much trouble I will have
with a potential merge (maybe it is best to have someone fix "their
mistakes" before merging, or maybe I should perform some additional
cleanup, etc.)

What is the recommended way of doing this? I tried looking at the
synchronize view, and it does not seem to give me what I want (it is at
least very different from the synchronize view I am accustomed to with SVN).

I am otherwise quite happy with Egit (currently on version 0.11.something)

Regards
- henrik
Re: newbie Q - best practice reviewing diff local/remote master [message #661674 is a reply to message #661673] Sat, 26 March 2011 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Henrik Lindberg is currently offline Henrik LindbergFriend
Messages: 2509
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
I think I found the source of my confusion - there are lots of outgoing
changes listed that should not be there. The changes are all in "bin"
directories. If I add "bin" to .gitignore, the synchronize view stops
listing them.

The bin directories seems to be automatically ignored expect in the
synchronize view. Is this by design? To force me to deal with them?

Regards
- henrik

On 3/26/11 2:38 AM, Henrik Lindberg wrote:
> Hi,
> When I can't push to a remote repository because the push is not a fast
> forward and I need to do a pull, I would like to know the difference
> between what I am about to pull and what I have committed locally. (I an
> also interested in diff between "pull" and workspace, but this is not as
> important).
>
> I want to know this because I want to know how much trouble I will have
> with a potential merge (maybe it is best to have someone fix "their
> mistakes" before merging, or maybe I should perform some additional
> cleanup, etc.)
>
> What is the recommended way of doing this? I tried looking at the
> synchronize view, and it does not seem to give me what I want (it is at
> least very different from the synchronize view I am accustomed to with
> SVN).
>
> I am otherwise quite happy with Egit (currently on version 0.11.something)
>
> Regards
> - henrik
Re: newbie Q - best practice reviewing diff local/remote master [message #662707 is a reply to message #661674] Thu, 31 March 2011 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan Lay is currently offline Stefan LayFriend
Messages: 342
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
"Henrik Lindberg" <henrik.lindberg@cloudsmith.com> wrote in message
news:imjh64$nsq$1@news.eclipse.org...
>I think I found the source of my confusion - there are lots of outgoing
>changes listed that should not be there. The changes are all in "bin"
>directories. If I add "bin" to .gitignore, the synchronize view stops
>listing them.

> The bin directories seems to be automatically ignored expect in the
> synchronize view. Is this by design? To force me to deal with them?

This is a bug. The bin folder is not excluded from the <working tree> node.
I opened bug 341502 for this.
However, it is excluded if you select the "Workspace" model in the drop-down
list, right?

Note that at the moment the EGit synchronize view does not fetch from remote
(See bug 323353).
You have to do that in advance.
Re: newbie Q - best practice reviewing diff local/remote master [message #663275 is a reply to message #662707] Mon, 04 April 2011 13:16 Go to previous message
Henrik Lindberg is currently offline Henrik LindbergFriend
Messages: 2509
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 3/31/11 5:19 PM, Stefan Lay wrote:
>
> "Henrik Lindberg" <henrik.lindberg@cloudsmith.com> wrote in message
> news:imjh64$nsq$1@news.eclipse.org...
>> I think I found the source of my confusion - there are lots of
>> outgoing changes listed that should not be there. The changes are all
>> in "bin" directories. If I add "bin" to .gitignore, the synchronize
>> view stops listing them.
>
>> The bin directories seems to be automatically ignored expect in the
>> synchronize view. Is this by design? To force me to deal with them?
>
> This is a bug. The bin folder is not excluded from the <working tree>
> node. I opened bug 341502 for this.

Thanks.

> However, it is excluded if you select the "Workspace" model in the
> drop-down list, right?
>
Did not check, and now all my derived folders are in .gitignore...

> Note that at the moment the EGit synchronize view does not fetch from
> remote (See bug 323353).
> You have to do that in advance.
>
Aha, that explains some of the additional confusion I had over not
seeing what I expected to see. Thanks for the tip.

- henrik
Previous Topic:copy paste over existing file makes it unmanaged
Next Topic:Using EGit with Assembla.com part 2
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Mon Apr 06 21:27:07 GMT 2020

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.11567 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top