Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Trying to understand build project
Trying to understand build project [message #661657] Fri, 25 March 2011 18:37 Go to next message
Bob  is currently offline Bob Friend
Google searches haven't yielded a comprehensive answer. I'm simply trying to understand exactly what Project -> Build All does. I have >10 interdependent projects in my workspace. We have a maven build script that use to build the workspace after checking out the projects. It's my understanding that we also need to do a Build All from within eclipse.
Sometimes Build All completes, but more often I get an Out of Memory error. Any explanation of what exactly Build All does would be greatly appreciated.
Re: Trying to understand build project [message #661827 is a reply to message #661657] Mon, 28 March 2011 07:12 Go to previous message
saurav sarkar is currently offline saurav sarkarFriend
Hi Bob,

Build all triggers the build of all the projects which are active in your workspace.So if you have large number of resources with too many buildable resource sometime OOME excpetion is thrown because building is a memory intensive operation.

Generally Building is also done in a separate UI job.Build All generally appears when Build automatically off.So you can have your Build automcatically turned on so that live builds happen rathen than the need of bulk build.

i think this article also nicely surmises the Eclipse build basics..

http://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/platform-core/documents/scope d_builds.html

cheers,
Saurav

Previous Topic:Trying to run eclipse/java for the first time, exit code 13
Next Topic:F3 not working
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 24 22:28:11 GMT 2024