Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Remote Application Platform (RAP) » Setting up a standalone RWT Eclipse development environment
Setting up a standalone RWT Eclipse development environment [message #659306] Sat, 12 March 2011 01:09 Go to next message
Benjamin Wolff is currently offline Benjamin WolffFriend
Dear RAP-Community,

I'd like to do some experimenting with standalone RWT. In the RAP FAQ there is a guide on how to deploy a standalone RWT application in tomcat ( http://wiki.eclipse.org/RAP/FAQ#How_do_I_use_an_RWT_standalo ne_application_in_Tomcat ).
Of course, during development, one would like to start the application from the Eclipse IDE, like an ordinary RAP application. I played around a bit so I will first describe how I proceeded:

As far as i can see, it is necessary to launch the full-blown RAP stack (Bundles) in order to use the Equinox-Jetty-Container tooling support from the IDE. Therefore, I implemented a simple RWT hello world in an IEntrypoint and registered it via and extension point. This is the only extension point in the plugin.xml. To limit the visibility of packages, I changed the plug-in dependency from org.eclipse.rap.ui to org.eclipse.rap.rwt. This is done to "simulate" the limited RAP (RWT only) functionality that would be available when deployed in e.g. Tomcat. Now I can start the application via the launch configuration and it works fine.

What I'd like to ask now is whether this is the proper way of developing a standalone RWT application. As far as I know there are at least some developers who are successfully developing standalone RWT applications. It would be great if you could give a short feedback on my set-up and you'd like to share some experience? This would also make a nice FAQ entry so I'm considering to write a short article on that topic.

Greetings,
-Ben
Re: Setting up a standalone RWT Eclipse development environment [message #659438 is a reply to message #659306] Sun, 13 March 2011 22:58 Go to previous message
Rüdiger Herrmann is currently offline Rüdiger HerrmannFriend
Ben,

currently there is no tailored tooling to launch RWT standalone
applications. This is likely to come in the future, but until then as
you already figured, you will have to work around this limitation with
the Equinox/RAP launcher.

Regarding your approach, you may want to separate the entry-point
extension (and its dependencies) into a distinct bundle. This way, you
can deploy the application without the extra dependencies that are only
necessary to leverage the launcher during development.
You will still have to package everything as bundles, however IMHO this
is an advantage as
* you can let PDE manage your dependencies
* it helps understanding your application as a assembly of independent
modules
And you still have the freedom to deploy the application without
depending on OSGi.

The web tools project [1] also offers support for developing
servlet-based web applications, you may want to have a look at this, too.

You are welcome to contribute to the FAQ about RWT standalone development.

Thanks for sharing,
Rüdiger

[1] http://eclipse.org/webtools

On 12.03.2011 02:09, Benjamin Wolff wrote:
> Dear RAP-Community,
>
> I'd like to do some experimenting with standalone RWT. In the RAP FAQ there is a guide on how to deploy a standalone RWT application in tomcat ( http://wiki.eclipse.org/RAP/FAQ#How_do_I_use_an_RWT_standalo ne_application_in_Tomcat ).
> Of course, during development, one would like to start the application from the Eclipse IDE, like an ordinary RAP application. I played around a bit so I will first describe how I proceeded:
>
> As far as i can see, it is necessary to launch the full-blown RAP stack (Bundles) in order to use the Equinox-Jetty-Container tooling support from the IDE. Therefore, I implemented a simple RWT hello world in an IEntrypoint and registered it via and extension point. This is the only extension point in the plugin.xml. To limit the visibility of packages, I changed the plug-in dependency from org.eclipse.rap.ui to org.eclipse.rap.rwt. This is done to "simulate" the limited RAP (RWT only) functionality that would be available when deployed in e.g. Tomcat. Now I can start the application via the launch configuration and it works fine.
>
> What I'd like to ask now is whether this is the proper way of developing a standalone RWT application. As far as I know there are at least some developers who are successfully developing standalone RWT applications. It would be great if you could give a short feedback on my set-up and you'd like to share some experience? This would also make a nice FAQ entry so I'm considering to write a short article on that topic.
>
> Greetings,
> -Ben
Previous Topic:Display#asynExec since 1.3.0-M7
Next Topic:Demo mail app toolbar + configure actions strange behavior
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 12:20:57 GMT 2024