Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Equinox » Who decides what launchers that are available?
Who decides what launchers that are available? [message #658046] Sat, 05 March 2011 14:04
Thomas Hallgren is currently offline Thomas HallgrenFriend
I'm a bit at a roads end at the moment. Our projects that produce headless products can not be built based on 3.7. The
reason for this is that we can no longer rely on the org.eclipse.equinox.executable feature to give us a list of
launchers that are provided in the platform p2 repository.

Our objective is simple. We want to create a self sufficient repository for headless installs of our product and we want
this to work on all platforms that are supported by Eclipse.

In 3.6, this was simple. We just consulted the org.eclipse.equinox.executable for the correct list of launchers. In 3.7,
that is no longer possible because this feature now contains launchers that are not provided in the platform repository.
This leaves us with the following options:

1. Create our own launcher feature and then maintain this the best we can.
2. Create some hack in our build system that removes the requirements known to be bogus. This will of course also
require maintenance over time.
3. Build the missing features ourselves. Apparently they are built by the Equinox team already but not published.
Needless to say, that will be a major effort for us. And it will require maintenance over time.
4. Convince the equinox team to keep the org.eclipse.equinox.executable in sync with what is provided in the platform
repository.
5. Convince the equinox team to add another feature, similar to the current org.eclipse.equinox.executable, but in sync
with the platform repository.

The problem with option 1-3 is that even if we fix this, there might be others facing the same problems as we do. So
chances are, this work will be duplicated many times over. My personal preference is #4.

There are two bugzillas about this:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=337334
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=338305

I've marked both as blocking because we cannot really proceed with our 3.7 port until this issue is resolved. I would
really appreciate if we could discuss this so that I can move forward. I really don't want to do option 1-3 unless I
really have to.

Kind Regards,
Thomas Hallgren
Previous Topic:Building custom installer with p2
Next Topic:Generate feature.xml from a set of bundles?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 17:59:05 GMT 2024