Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Discarding changes in working copy (file or folder)
Discarding changes in working copy (file or folder) [message #656704] Mon, 28 February 2011 08:20 Go to next message
Kay Huber is currently offline Kay HuberFriend
Hi all

Coming from the svn world, I'm used to have a "revert" command - which I can apply to files as well as whole folders, projects or even working sets in my working directory.

In (native) git, several possibilities seem to exist. I found the "reset" command (which however is not applicable to "single files", right?). Recently, I figured out, that I can just "checkout again" and will override my working directory (changes). That can also be done on file level.

In egit, this seems not to be available in the UI. I'm about to create a feature request, but I'm unsure as how I would actually name the popup / context menu entry. While in svn this is called "revert", in git "revert" has a different meaning. Calling it "reset" seems to be unprecise, as it cannot be applied to single files. The remaining "checkout" may be the most accurate in terms of what happens in the back, but git-noobs won't realize that they can revert local changes with this (at least I wouldn't Smile ).
How about "Checkout / Override"?

Any suggestions / better ideas?

Regards
Kay
Re: Discarding changes in working copy (file or folder) [message #656914 is a reply to message #656704] Mon, 28 February 2011 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Aniszczyk is currently offline Chris AniszczykFriend
This is planned for 0.12 which comes out in late April...

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=326638
http://egit.eclipse.org/r/#change,2415
Re: Discarding changes in working copy (file or folder) [message #657326 is a reply to message #656704] Wed, 02 March 2011 13:12 Go to previous message
Kay Huber is currently offline Kay HuberFriend
Sounds great, thanks Chris!
So, that means, we gonna have the functionality, now I'd still like to discuss the "usability" part Wink

In Subversive (me being a "converting" svn user...) I have the possibility to "revert" my changes directly from within the Team "main" menu. The "Replace With" option exists in svn as well, but as "commit" and "revert" are basic functions, they're in the main part.

That command exists for subversive, subclipse and probably other scm providers as well - so I vote to have same functionality (with a "new" name?) directly in the Team menu (Converters will love it Wink ).

IMHO, independently whether I'm coming from svn or another scm or none at all, the Team menu somehow reflects the "main functionality available to the user". That's where he's used to start searching for features...

What do you think?

Regards
Kay

[EDIT] added a screenshot of my subversive "Team" popup commands on a file:

http://www.screencast.com/t/gA7zxwa0kX

[Updated on: Wed, 02 March 2011 13:22]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:eGit Removing project from Package Explorer
Next Topic:Does EGit support to create a local branch according to remote branch?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 05:39:58 GMT 2024