Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Test and Performance Tools Platform (TPTP) » Phantom calls in TPTP execution statistics profiling Web app.(When profilinig a web app, TPTP execution statistics show growing amount of calls though no requests are made to the app)
Phantom calls in TPTP execution statistics profiling Web app. [message #654030] Sun, 13 February 2011 09:40 Go to next message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
Hello!

Please forgive me if a solution to my problem is obvious: I am a beginning user of TPTP. I have tried to google by key words "TPTP phantom calls", "tptp collect repeatedly", "tptp call duplication" and some others with no success. As far as I understand my problem is either is very primitive to be interesting for anybody in the internet community of I can not work out the precise key words.

The problem's summary:
When profilinig my web application I found that TPTP execution statistics show growing amount of calls though no explicit requests are made to the application.

Profiling launch procedure:
I started Tomcat in profiling mode, in the poped-up dialog I configured filters to include packages of my application only, then I selected analysis type "Execution time analysis", configured the analysis type to "Show execution statistics" with an option of "Automatically calculate polling frequency (recommended)" and finished dialog. The perspective switched to "Profiling and logging perspective".

Observations:
After profiling was launched the statistics showed no entries (what is correct since my packages were not called yet).
Next, I navigated to a page of my application and immediately after that checked the statistics which showed me still no entries (what is also correct since the execution had not been in time to collect new data). Once the profiling monitor entered collection mode and returned to profiling I found a number of entries. One of them, getUser(), showed 6 calls. After the second cycle of data collection the statistics showed that getUser() was called 12 times. After one more collection of data the statistics showed 18 calls and so on adding 6 calls with every collection cycle. In fact I navigated to the page only once and no activity in my applications could exist after the first series of calls (the first 6 probably). (To be sure I recheched this later by means of debugging).

This behaviour of TPTP makes it almost useless for testing my web application.

I hope that there is some option regarding collection of data which I overlooked.

I use
Galileo Eclipse 3.5.2
Tomcat 6.0.18
TPTP 4.6

In application:
DI Framework google Guice
AOP framework AspectJ are used
JSF
JBoss Seam

Thank you in advance for your replies

Best Regards,
Michail
Re: Phantom calls in TPTP execution statistics profiling Web app. [message #654232 is a reply to message #654030] Mon, 14 February 2011 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonathan West is currently offline Jonathan WestFriend
Hi Michail, this sounds like bug 335133 at work, which has been fixed in late 4.7.2 builds. I'd recommend you try the latest 4.7.2 RC candidate, and let us know what your results are.

[Updated on: Mon, 14 February 2011 17:08]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Phantom calls in TPTP execution statistics profiling Web app. [message #655474 is a reply to message #654232] Mon, 21 February 2011 10:10 Go to previous message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
Thank your very much for your reply, Jonathan!

After I have visited a Bugzilla's entry for the the bug you mentioned I am almost sure you are right.

Unfortunately I can not check the assumption since I can not switch to an Eclipse version which supports TPTP 4.7.

Thank you once more for your attention!

Faithfully Yours,
Michail
Previous Topic:Interpretation of Execution statistics[Cumulative Time]
Next Topic:What Does Gray Bar in JUnit View Mean?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 17:59:58 GMT 2024