Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Extension editor appears to be broken(Won't let me create any new extensions!)
icon5.gif  Extension editor appears to be broken [message #653743] Thu, 10 February 2011 22:43 Go to next message
SBS  is currently offline SBS Friend
When I go to the Extensions tab in the plug-in editor it has the text "8 warnings detected" next to the heading "Extensions" yet it doesn't display any "!" next to any of the extensions and the plugin.xml contains no warnings. Also, when I right click on an extension point to create a new extension the only option for the "New" menu is "Generic".

What's wrong? How do I find the problem(s) and get the extension editor working again?
Re: Extension editor appears to be broken [message #653762 is a reply to message #653743] Fri, 11 February 2011 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prakash G.R. is currently offline Prakash G.R.Friend
On 11/02/11 4:13 AM, SBS wrote:
> When I go to the Extensions tab in the plug-in editor it has the text "8
> warnings detected" next to the heading "Extensions" yet it doesn't
> display any "!" next to any of the extensions and the plugin.xml
> contains no warnings. Also, when I right click on an extension point to
> create a new extension the only option for the "New" menu is "Generic".

Looks like you don't have the schema of the extension point in your
installation.

--
- Prakash
Platform UI Team, IBM

www.eclipse-tips.com
Re: Extension editor appears to be broken [message #653763 is a reply to message #653762] Fri, 11 February 2011 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prakash G.R. wrote on Thu, 10 February 2011 22:56
Looks like you don't have the schema of the extension point in your
installation.

OK, how do I fix that? I haven't changed anything in the installation as far as I know and it was working before.
Re: Extension editor appears to be broken [message #653773 is a reply to message #653763] Fri, 11 February 2011 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aviral is currently offline aviralFriend

I had faced similar situation some time back and I did notice
that if I updated my eclipse from the update site and restarted things started working well.

Though I am not sure if this s the best approach but till nothing else one can try.
Re: Extension editor appears to be broken [message #653786 is a reply to message #653773] Fri, 11 February 2011 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Schindl is currently offline Thomas SchindlFriend
You don't have the source packages installed and the exsd-Files are only
part of the source distro.

Tom

Am 11.02.11 07:06, schrieb aviral:
> I had faced similar situation some time back and I did notice that if I
> updated my eclipse from the update site and restarted things started
> working well.
> Though I am not sure if this s the best approach but till nothing else
> one can try.
Re: Extension editor appears to be broken [message #654064 is a reply to message #653786] Sun, 13 February 2011 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom Schindl wrote on Fri, 11 February 2011 03:24
You don't have the source packages installed and the exsd-Files are only
part of the source distro.

Thanks Tom, adding in the source packages solved the problem. I have no idea why they decided to disappear all by themselves!
Re: Extension editor appears to be broken [message #721491 is a reply to message #654064] Thu, 01 September 2011 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This problem has resurfaced and this time I can't remember exactly what I did last time to resolve it. I know I have to "install the source packages" so I have re-downloaded the RCP SDK from the update center and then added the org.eclipse.platform.source (3.6.2) plug-in as a dependency for my plug-in but I still have the same problem. I have warnings and the only extension I can add is "Generic".

What am I missing?

Thanks,

-sbs
Re: Extension editor appears to be broken [message #721498 is a reply to message #721491] Thu, 01 September 2011 22:55 Go to previous message
OK I have managed to fix it again but it wasn't pretty. For some reason the IDE could not read the manifests of the source plug-ins and they were shown with red X's in the Target Platform section of the Plug-in Development Preferences page when I chose Edit on the active platform. I basically had to reinstall Eclipse to fix this problem because I needed to move on. The initial problem was definitely related to me not having the source packages installed (they are available from the update site for The Eclipse Project Updates) but this time it seems they became corrupted for some reason and could not be used by the IDE. I am sure there was a neater way to solve this problem but I didn't have time to explore it.
Previous Topic:[SOLVED] How to getSelectionCount from a CCombo control?
Next Topic:Adding icons to standard menu contribution extensions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:32:51 GMT 2024