Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » single repo, many projects: how to add a new project
single repo, many projects: how to add a new project [message #653268] Wed, 09 February 2011 07:06 Go to next message
Maxime Jeanmart is currently offline Maxime JeanmartFriend
Hi,

We've decided to have a single repository for all projects because it's less repositories to manage.

When we start development, developer A creates a single repository with several projects. eGit suggests to use the workspace root as local repository. I guess it's fine. Then A pushes that local repository on a central repository.

After that, developer B wants to join and clones the central repository. Unfortunately, it's not possible to clone directly on the root of the workspace and have a similar structure as developer A. The error message is: " E:\Workspace is not an empty directory." Is it a bug?

B may use another repository location, outside the workspace. But then what is he supposed to do if he wants to add a new project to that repository? Should he create a new repository in the workspace root just for that project? Then should he keep 2 local repos and merge in central repo? Should he merge the 2 local repos and then destroy the new local repo?

I find this repository management a little confusing and unnecessarily complex. I think it should be possible to either let us use the workspace root to clone a repository or to be able to add a project to an existing local repository which is not the workspace root.

What do you think? Did I miss something?

Max
Re: single repo, many projects: how to add a new project [message #653278 is a reply to message #653268] Wed, 09 February 2011 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manuel Doninger is currently offline Manuel DoningerFriend
If you want to create a new project, you have to deselect the checkbox "Use default location" in the "New Project Wizard" and select the folder of your Git working directory. After that, if you select Team -> Share project on that new project, you can select the existing Git repository.

Another point: If you use Maven, you should place the Git repository in another folder outside of your Eclipse workspace, and import the projects (but not copy in the workspace). There is some odd behaviour with m2eclipse and the projects.
Re: single repo, many projects: how to add a new project [message #653286 is a reply to message #653278] Wed, 09 February 2011 08:44 Go to previous message
Maxime Jeanmart is currently offline Maxime JeanmartFriend
Thanks a lot, it's working.

I missed that possibility. I'm not used to have projects outside my workspace.

To improve usability, maybe eGit could offer to move a project when we share it? This would make this pattern more obvious.
Previous Topic:Galileo: Installed EGit, but it doesn't act installed
Next Topic:why are some files "staged" other committed ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 04:07:57 GMT 2024