Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Using Xtext to transform XML to XML with XSLT
Using Xtext to transform XML to XML with XSLT [message #651613] Mon, 31 January 2011 21:28 Go to next message
Chris Gage is currently offline Chris GageFriend
I have just encountered Xtext and my task is to transform (with XSLT) from one XML schema to another, ie both input and output are XML.

I am finding the concepts of Xtext to be "difficult to approach" and would appreciate it if anyone had an example of how the above might be done. This would help me a great deal.

I know how to do this in raw Java...

Chris Gage
Re: Using Xtext to transform XML to XML with XSLT [message #651698 is a reply to message #651613] Tue, 01 February 2011 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Meinte Boersma is currently offline Meinte BoersmaFriend
I don't think Xtext has out-of-the-box functionality to help you with this. What you're asking for is a way to generate XSLTs to transform XML -> XML, I guess.

Starting point is always that you know how to do it in XSLT. Xtext comes in at the point where you find that your XSLT stylesheets are clumsy, repetitive, verbose etc. and you see you could benefit from a DSL for your class of XSLTs. You create that DSL using Xtext and make a generator for XSLT stylesheets using Xpand.

Re: Using Xtext to transform XML to XML with XSLT [message #651894 is a reply to message #651698] Tue, 01 February 2011 22:36 Go to previous message
Chris Gage is currently offline Chris GageFriend
OK, I am starting to get it. Thank you for your useful explanation.

Well yes, I would definitely like to make it easier to write XSLT, as I think I may have to develop about 25 different stylesheets in the near future. I will look into this, and investigate Xpand as well, and report back.

Previous Topic:Keyword escape and compound name
Next Topic:tip: workaround for Xtext 2.0 and 'An object may not circularly contain itself' validation problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 07:01:32 GMT 2024