Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Feedback on 0.10(Took 0.10 of EGit for a spin, here's some feedback)
icon14.gif  Feedback on 0.10 [message #645628] Sun, 19 December 2010 01:55 Go to next message
Thomas Ferris Nicolaisen is currently offline Thomas Ferris NicolaisenFriend
First of all, great work on developing JGit and EGit! My general feel of the plugin is that it's quickly getting closer to primetime (by that I mean: introducing Git into my team, they'll refuse any SCM which doesn't have Eclipse-integration as good as Subclipse).

I just took 0.10 for a spin, and noted down my "feel" of it as I went along. Maybe you'll find it interesting, as kind of a user-experience-test?

I apologize if this duplicates any discussion that you've already had, or this feedback adds no value.

I'm using a clean Eclipse-JEE-Helios-SR1 on OS X Snow leopard with the latest JDK 6 update.

My use case: I'm a command line junkie, but I'm glad to use the IDE if I can. It will have to be fast and snappy though, so I can ditch the command line without too big a productivity loss.

I know Eclipse well, and I also have a lot experience with Subclipse and Subversive.

So, off we go: I've got my local Git repository with an Eclipse project already cloned from GitHub.

I import the project as an Existing Eclipse project. A bit surprised that EGit binding wasn't automatically set up upon importing the project. Fair enough, is probably a choice made for people who don't want to bother with EGit for certain projects. I go Team -> Share -> Git, and that works perfectly.

I now do some work. I change a file, and I want to commit it through the Synchronize view, as I like to have a look at my changes before I write the commit message.

I switch to the Team Synchronizing perspective, which is pretty empty at first (this is normal also with Subclipse). I click the Synchronize... button, select Git, and then see a list containing the repository of my project. It's selected, but the Finish button is disabled, so no way to sync here, it seems. Bug?

A bit disgruntled, I return back to the Java perspective, right click the project, Team -> Synchronize. I now get prompted for which branch/tag to synchronize. Well, I thought it was obvious, but I select local .git repo, HEAD, and I also check "Include local uncommitted changes..". Maybe there are other use-cases for synchronizing where this dialog is practical, but for me this was just confusing.

So, finally I'm in the synchronize view. I review my changes and I want to commit. With Subclipse I usually just hit the "Commit all changes" button as I've grown fairly accustomed to keeping my local changes related to one commit, but now I have to right click the file, go Team, and then commit. It's a bit cumbersome.

I also can't select files by category, like <working tree>, I have to select the files. I can right-click and see inside the Team menu, but the only item there is Apply Patch..

I also played around a bit with staging/adding the files first, but the view seems a bit inconsistent. If I have a file in <working tree>, and I go Add on it, it doesn't move into the <staged changes>. I have to re-synchronize the project (back to Java perspective, right click, Team, Synchronize) to get the correct grouping of changes.

Also after committing the view isn't updated.

I miss having little Add - and Commit buttons in the Synchronize view. For me, this would be somewhat the equivalent of interactive add, which I use extensively on the command line. Maybe with some nifty keyboard shortcuts mapped up by default (Ctrl+Shift+A) this could be pretty smooth.

After a few commits, I want to push back to origin. Now, there's no push button in the Synchronize view, so I go back to project view, right click, Team, push. Like with the Synchronize step, I now get a wizard which is a little bit "alien" to me. First, I get Destination Repository, which goes nicely cause I've already got origin configured in my repository. I click next and get Ref Spec dialog, which is also rather intimidating.

Anyhow, I know what to do, I select to push master branch.

I don't see any list of commits that will be pushed or anything, so I feel a bit blind about what just happened.

It seems a bit annoying that I have to click through this two-step wizard every time I push.

So, that's it for this round. There are a lot of other features that seem to work great, and I didn't focus much on in this feedback. But the above points are the ones that really stand between me and my colleagues really adopting EGit (and Git in general). I know that the Synchronize view is a very recent EGit feature, but it's a very important part of my personal (Eclipse) workflow.

Oh, and any kind of Git-SVN integration would be cool too, by the way, but I totally understand if that is not a priority Wink

By the way, GitHub still recommends not using EGit for pushing in their Help pages: http://help.github.com/egit-corruption/ - I don't know if that is still relevant..
Re: Feedback on 0.10 [message #646288 is a reply to message #645628] Thu, 23 December 2010 08:11 Go to previous message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
Hi.

Alot of good feedback. Personally I miss some keybindings, such as for branch switching.

Anyways, on the github corruption issue it seems like this was fixed in 0.8.4 according to http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=183637& amp;start=0&S=81dfec74c1b979b21614f923fb09b1da
Previous Topic:Synchronising and Read-only link resource
Next Topic:New to Git and EGit, a few questions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 11:11:21 GMT 2024