Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Equinox » Eclipse RCP application and p2. Known problem, different cause?
Eclipse RCP application and p2. Known problem, different cause? [message #645018] Wed, 15 December 2010 09:11 Go to next message
Florian Philipp is currently offline Florian PhilippFriend
Hello,

I have a problem and I just don't know what to try anymore:

I've created an Eclipse RCP application (feature based product) and now I want to support updates through p2. So far, so good. The steps for this are outlined in various blogs and articles but they just don't work for me. I'll reproduce them here. Please take a look and tell me what I've done wrong:

1. Export product repository (export product through wizard, check "Generate metadata repository"). Directory "repository" appears in output directory.

2. Run director application in order to export the product again, this time with p2 enabled (whatever that means). I've tried different ways to achieve it, including the graphical installer. I'll reproduce it for the director application:
eclipse -nosplash -application org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director
-metadataRepository file:${HOME}/output/repository
-artifactRepository file:${HOME}/output/repository
-destination ${HOME}/director_out
-bundlepool ${HOME}/director_out
-installIU de.[...].ui.product
-profile MyProjectProfile
-profileProperties org.eclipse.update.install.features=true
-p2.os linux -p2.ws gtk -p2.arch x86_64
-roaming
-debug -consolelog
-vmargs -Declipse.p2.data.area=${HOME}/director_out/p2

First question: What does the -profile parameter mean? All I've found on this tells me that it is a free-form string. What purpose does this serve?

3. Now, in theory, there should be a p2 enabled application in the -destination directory. The application is there and I can execute it. However, when I click on "Help" -> "Install New Software...", I get the familiar "Cannot complete the request. This installation has has not been configured properly for Software Updates." message and on the error log I see
"!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.p2.ui.sdk 2 0 2010-12-15 10:00:32.835
!MESSAGE Could not locate the running profile instance. The eclipse.p2.data.area and eclipse.p2.profile properties may not be set correctly in this application's config.ini file."

Among the settings in configuration/config.ini I find:
eclipse.p2.profile=MyProjectProfile
eclipse.p2.data.area=@config.dir/../p2

which seems to be correct.

Is there anything else that can cause this message? Maybe a missing plugin?

I've already searched the web for *hours* and all I can find is "Run director application".

Thanks in advance for your help.

Florian Philipp
Re: Eclipse RCP application and p2. Known problem, different cause? [message #645069 is a reply to message #645018] Wed, 15 December 2010 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Justin Dolezy is currently offline Justin DolezyFriend
Do you have the org.eclipse.equinox.ds plugin available in your build? Sounds like it could be this perhaps...

http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&goto=55428 5&S=db68a0daf2c1bb0915daac6bd300c108
Re: Eclipse RCP application and p2. Known problem, different cause? [message #645477 is a reply to message #645069] Fri, 17 December 2010 11:33 Go to previous message
Florian Philipp is currently offline Florian PhilippFriend
Thanks! That solved the problem. I also had to put org.eclipse.equinox.ds into autostart (runlevel 1).
Previous Topic:[p2] Launch Application with -clean after having installed new bundles
Next Topic:OSGi sevice consumer in extensions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 18:31:15 GMT 2024