Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » Initial Setup(Need help setting up an existing project in eclipse)
icon5.gif  Initial Setup [message #639821] Wed, 17 November 2010 23:14 Go to next message
Tom  is currently offline Tom Friend
I have several existing projects with git repositories. I have installed eclipse and egit. I can navigate to the repository with egit, but I think I need to set up my existing work as a PHP Project, but am a loss as to how to accomplish this.

If I open a php file manually from my windows explorer it recognizes that it is php, colors the code, and gives me the break down of functions on the right. However it cannot offer code completion from any of my external classes.

If I open the exact same file through egit it does not recognize that it is a php file at all.

The tutorials I find are all about creating a new project instead of setting up an existing one. Is eclipse designed so that a project must meet specific structuring so I can't utilize it for pre-existing projects?

Any help would be much appreciated. I have been programming in the same editor since 1995 when I switched from PFE to Textpad. With the lack of documentation that seems to be the standard today I really need to find an editor with code suggestion/completion built in.

Thank you
-Tom
Re: Initial Setup [message #642519 is a reply to message #639821] Wed, 01 December 2010 16:21 Go to previous message
Mark Dexter is currently offline Mark DexterFriend
Hi. I use SVN, not Git, but I think this still applies. Have you tried using the New PHP Project->Create project at existing location (from existing source)? That is how you convert an existing folder to an Eclipse PHP project.

If that doesn't work, you can create a new project at a new location with Import->Checkout projects from SVN (except you would use the Eclipse GIT option, I guess).

Good luck. Mark

[Updated on: Wed, 01 December 2010 16:22]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:"workspace in use" driving me crazy!
Next Topic:PDT and Web Debugging
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 05:24:21 GMT 2024