Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Platform - User Assistance (UA) » How does the Index sorting work?(Having problems with sorting for Simplified Chinese, French, and Spanish versions of Index)
How does the Index sorting work? [message #637468] Fri, 05 November 2010 16:44 Go to next message
David Cagle is currently offline David CagleFriend
Can someone please provide a brief overview of how the Index sorting works? We are having problems with Simplified Chinese not sorting correctly and index entries with accented characters being placed at the end of the Index for French and Spanish.

My understanding is that EclipseHelp combines all the Index contributions into a master index and then sorts. Does it sort the index entries if there is only one Index contribution?

Thanks!
Re: How does the Index sorting work? [message #637510 is a reply to message #637468] Fri, 05 November 2010 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Goldthorpe is currently offline Chris GoldthorpeFriend
Since Eclipse 3.5 Eclipse has used the com.ibm.icu bundle to perform sorting and this handles accented characters correctly, here is an example from the User Assistance test suite.

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/attachment.cgi?id=182541

I'm not so familiar with the sorting for Chinese.

See https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=248079 for more information. If you are using an older version of Eclipse than 3.5 the sorting of international characters will have problems.

Re: How does the Index sorting work? [message #637712 is a reply to message #637510] Mon, 08 November 2010 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Chris! I was able to find that '248079' bug report before I left on Friday! We are currently using version 3.4.2.

Thanks for the info, I will pass it along!
Re: How does the Index sorting work? [message #660107 is a reply to message #637712] Wed, 16 March 2011 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are secondary index entries sorted as well? Our French translator is seeing a problem where secondary index entries are not sorted correctly. I've attached a picture. I believe they are using version 3.4.2 as well. In the picture, the secondary entry that begins with "objectif" comes after "Parameters". Does the index just not sort secondary entries or is the lowercase letter throwing things off?

http://sww.sas.com/~dacagl/French_Index.png
Re: How does the Index sorting work? [message #660319 is a reply to message #660107] Thu, 17 March 2011 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Goldthorpe is currently offline Chris GoldthorpeFriend
David Cagle wrote on Wed, 16 March 2011 16:34
Are secondary index entries sorted as well? Our French translator is seeing a problem where secondary index entries are not sorted correctly. I've attached a picture. I believe they are using version 3.4.2 as well. In the picture, the secondary entry that begins with "objectif" comes after "Parameters". Does the index just not sort secondary entries or is the lowercase letter throwing things off?

http://sww.sas.com/~dacagl/French_Index.png

You may need to reattach the image, that did not seem to work. The index should be sorted using the same algorithm at each level.

Re: How does the Index sorting work? [message #660461 is a reply to message #660319] Fri, 18 March 2011 14:40 Go to previous message
Sorry about the image Chris!

I think it is a content problem. The one the translator had a question about is an entry inside of an entry. So it would not be sorted with the other top-level entries.

<entry keyword="analyse de sensitivite">
   <topic href="mo/html/analysisparms.htm#p1osti9p7zcm66n1v3do830u5w03"
             title="Parame'tres"
             label="Parame'tres"/>
  <topic
href="mo/html/p0bdp29b7h7a3xn1bkxgxmo5rsz3.htm#p0ycddbb57pnarn165qaua5nmub8"
             title="Definir l'objectif"
             label="Definir l'objectif"/>
      <entry keyword="objectif secondaire">
         <topic href="mo/html/analysisparms.htm#p1kx5mrp2sie9on1ceue3p2cghmw"
                title="Options avancees"
                label="Options avancees"/>