Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » Alternative to Eclipse PDT... too slow
icon8.gif  Alternative to Eclipse PDT... too slow [message #632052] Mon, 11 October 2010 11:39 Go to next message
Edo  is currently offline Edo Friend
Hi,
i decide to dismiss eclipse for my work.
Too slow, too buggy, every release of PDT has new surprises...

I write 1 char in my eclipse in 1 sec... 10 char 10 secs...
I want to codeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

With normal FTP freeze and if i kill app eclipse delete open file....

I disable syntax highlighting but there is active now.

Do you know some software that work with:
PHP syntax + ssh remote that is a valid alternative to this buggy software aka PDT?

I'm on Ubuntu Lucid 64, Centrino2 64bit, 4 GB RAM...

Any suggestions?
Tnx i'm very frustrated now.... Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
Re: Alternative to Eclipse PDT... too slow [message #632541 is a reply to message #632052] Wed, 13 October 2010 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Schmidt is currently offline Michael SchmidtFriend
Hi,

I have the same problem on WinXP, 32bit, 4GB. and I am frustrated too! Not knowing how to change.

Is there anybody who can help, please!?!

Greetings from Germany.
Micha
Re: Alternative to Eclipse PDT... too slow [message #632577 is a reply to message #632541] Wed, 13 October 2010 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Todd Painton is currently offline Todd PaintonFriend
ARGH. I agree. everything was working fine and now I have unbelievable lag. It is happening only on large php files. Everything was working fine until a day or so ago and now any php file with over 2000 lines has huge lag. Every letter takes about 2-3 secs to appear after being typed.

Interestingly, I installed Zend Studio Pro and there is no lag at all. (runs on eclipse as well). I have done searches for eclipse lag and not found a whole lot. Most post recommend disabling code assist. Sorry no. If I have to disable all of the features, I might as well use Text Pad.

I have really loved Eclipse PDT but if I have to limit my php files to < 2000 lines, forget it.

icon9.gif  Re: Alternative to Eclipse PDT... too slow [message #634231 is a reply to message #632052] Wed, 20 October 2010 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brade  is currently offline Brade Friend
I registered just to voice my agreement with this. I moved back to Eclipse from Aptana recently because of all the retarded stuff they've done in their latest version, including far worse PHP support. I enjoy everything about Eclipse and PDT except for the insane lag time on large PHP files. It truly causes Eclipse to be nearly unusable, which is really sad. I've tried tons of advice online about increasing the memory limits in eclipse.ini and turning off error-reporting as you type, etc. but nothing changes the slow behavior on large files (and my file isn't even THAT large IMO, it's 1964 lines). Aptana, despite its many many problems, did not slow down on large files. Eclipse should be able to correct this.

I assume the problem has to do with syntax-coloring the entire rest of the file as you are making changes elsewhere (this is just a guess), but this problem simply HAS to get solved. I've already started searching for another editor that doesn't have this problem, but Eclipse has a lot of good things going for it that I'd hate to lose.
Re: Alternative to Eclipse PDT... too slow [message #634333 is a reply to message #632052] Thu, 21 October 2010 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brett  is currently offline Brett Friend
also just registered to agree -- typing has become an exercise in frustration with the php editor

Interestingly, I disabled syntax-colouring for all elements and the problem went away, for now...

Helios SR1 on Mac OS X 10.6.4, 4GB RAM
Re: Alternative to Eclipse PDT... too slow [message #634542 is a reply to message #632052] Fri, 22 October 2010 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kristian Wiborg is currently offline Kristian WiborgFriend
I have the exact same problem after upgrading to Helios SR1 as mentioned here: http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=197733& amp;start=0

My setup: WinXP, 32 bit, 4 GB RAM, dual core.

"Vote" for the issue here https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=326261
Re: Alternative to Eclipse PDT... too slow [message #634545 is a reply to message #632052] Fri, 22 October 2010 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: mnm.criion.net

If you like to use eclipse, I'd go with the older version 1.0.5.

For this you need to use elicpse 3.2 I think it was. It's been a long time
since I used eclipse, so I am not sure. It might be 3.1 or 3.3.

Anyway download eclipse in one of those versions, then use the auto update
function to download pdt 1.0.5.
You'd have to add the update site url to the updater.

Remember to just get the runtime source of both eclipse and pdt. No need for
SDK code (unless you know you need it).

Alternativly you could go for netbeans. It has php auto completion. For ssh,
I don't know. For subversion use tortoise.
Re: Alternative to Eclipse PDT... too slow [message #634569 is a reply to message #632052] Fri, 22 October 2010 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ixo  is currently offline ixo Friend
I'm frustrating too, this bugged software is making me crazy.
Every writed character i've to wait for few seconds.
If the file is more or about 2500 lines is impossibile to code.
In this moment i'm removing a remote projects ( just the project reference not all files in filesystem ) from 30 mins ...

Edo im with you!
Re: Alternative to Eclipse PDT... too slow [message #634601 is a reply to message #632052] Fri, 22 October 2010 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brade  is currently offline Brade Friend
Good call by someone on the bug report: you can download a PDT bundle from here and it should be fine (they are using slightly older versions): http://www.eclipse.org/pdt/downloads/

Just remember not to do the updates (although I did need to add Remote Systems FTP and it was still fine). I'll wait to hear on this thread when the issue is fixed in the updated release.
Re: Alternative to Eclipse PDT... too slow [message #634745 is a reply to message #632052] Fri, 22 October 2010 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David is currently offline DavidFriend
If you've got PDT to work think yourselves lucky. I'm trying to use PDE and PDT, neither seems to install on top of the other. And now you're suggesting that if I can get it recognise a PHP file it had better be a small one?
Re: Alternative to Eclipse PDT... too slow [message #636775 is a reply to message #632052] Tue, 02 November 2010 18:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MarkoB  is currently offline MarkoB Friend
I have same problems, too slow, also I really don't like the lack of news and roadmap updates.

Luckily PHPEclipse (www.phpeclipse.com) is being developed again, hope to see new release soon so I can switch back, PDT is a nightmare.
Re: Alternative to Eclipse PDT... too slow [message #636915 is a reply to message #636775] Wed, 03 November 2010 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Sutton is currently offline John SuttonFriend
Can projects be moved over fairly easily from PDT to PHPEclipse? And vice-versa? (in case I want to move back!)

MarkoB wrote on Tue, 02 November 2010 14:06
I have same problems, too slow, also I really don't like the lack of news and roadmap updates.

Luckily PHPEclipse (www.phpeclipse.com) is being developed again, hope to see new release soon so I can switch back, PDT is a nightmare.

icon8.gif  Re: Alternative to Eclipse PDT... too slow [message #637040 is a reply to message #632052] Wed, 03 November 2010 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Un  is currently offline Un Friend
I'm stuck with the same issue and it's extremely frustrating. At first PDT worked great and lag-free for some of my smaller-scale projects, but once I moved my production projects over from NetBeans I started seeing the 1~2 second lag between each keystroke for large files, which is obviously unusable. This happens even with all projects closed except for the active one, and only a single source file loaded into the editor.

None of the other editor types have this problem... just PHP. Disappointing that this hasn't been addressed.
icon5.gif  Re: Alternative to Eclipse PDT... too slow [message #655922 is a reply to message #637040] Wed, 23 February 2011 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Edo  is currently offline Edo Friend
This bug seems resolved: Laughing

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=326261

I don't know how...

there is a diff file, but i don't have eclipse sourcecode, someone apply and recolpile eclipse resolving this?

My eclipse still has this problem...

EDIT:
I downloaded SR2 helios but the problem is not resolved.

Anyone know a version of eclipse that resolve slow typing bug as

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=326261

explain?

tnx

[Updated on: Mon, 28 February 2011 09:28]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Alternative to Eclipse PDT... too slow [message #691494 is a reply to message #632052] Fri, 01 July 2011 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alex Angelico is currently offline Alex AngelicoFriend
I had the painfully slow typing problem from a while, I'm using Eclipse Helios (3.6) but I had this same problem with 3.5.
This doesnt happen all the time, but when it starts, restarting Eclipse is not a solution. REstarting the computer seems to solve the problem for a while, but is a pain in the neck.

I use Eclipse + Zend PDT. I'm not using Aptana, but I installed and uninstalled it, so not sure if this left some artifacts behind.

It seems if you are using another Java application this makes Eclipse slower, so I try to close any other Java application when using Eclipse.

I'm downloading Eclipse 3.7 now, but I really doubt this is solved.

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate with 4Gb RAM. The disk is not too fast, but com'on, we are talking about TYPING here.
Im using Adobe CS5 on regular basis (I'm a web designer) and works really good. I dont think a code editor needs more resources than Photoshop...
Re: Alternative to Eclipse PDT... too slow [message #695254 is a reply to message #691494] Mon, 11 July 2011 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dominik is currently offline dominikFriend
On 2011-07-01 17:09, Alex Angelico wrote:
> I had the painfully slow typing problem from a while, I'm using Eclipse Helios
> (3.6) but I had this same problem with 3.5.

There were some problems with big, old, error rich php files, but they seems to
be fixed in indigo. I'm using some nightly builds and they are just better with
dltk, which caused many errors in previous versions.

> This doesnt happen all the time, but when it starts, restarting Eclipse is not a
> solution. REstarting the computer seems to solve the problem for a while, but is
> a pain in the neck.

This seems to be memory limit, pay more attention to memory, increase amount for
Java, be sure that You assigned that to correct vm.

> I use Eclipse + Zend PDT. I'm not using Aptana, but I installed and uninstalled
> it, so not sure if this left some artifacts behind.
> It seems if you are using another Java application this makes Eclipse slower, so
> I try to close any other Java application when using Eclipse.
> I'm downloading Eclipse 3.7 now, but I really doubt this is solved.

If it's to less memory then java will swap to much intensive on hard drive, and
it will be very very slow. Right now I have perm size set to 256M (max: 768M),
xms: 512M, xmx: 2048M.

> I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate with 4Gb RAM. The disk is not too fast, but com'on,
> we are talking about TYPING here. Im using Adobe CS5 on regular basis (I'm a web
> designer) and works really good. I dont think a code editor needs more resources
> than Photoshop...

Sometimes it does. When You are using very advanced modules and need to keeep
model in memory, all functions etc then it's not like notepad. Memory is cheap
today, Assign at least 1GB for Eclipse and You will see effects.

/dmc
Re: Alternative to Eclipse PDT... too slow [message #728774 is a reply to message #695254] Fri, 23 September 2011 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Missing name Missing name is currently offline Missing name Missing nameFriend
FWIW: Zend Studio may give you guys better results.

The last I checked there was a problem with PDT's PHP Validator. I think this had something to do with the DLTK bits and pieces.
Re: Alternative to Eclipse PDT... too slow [message #730467 is a reply to message #728774] Wed, 28 September 2011 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: pavel.dvorak.work

I don't thinks so
Zend is usually slower

Dne 23.9.2011 23:57, TrinitronX napsal(a):
> FWIW: Zend Studio may give you guys better results.
>
> The last I checked there was a problem with PDT's PHP Validator. I
> think this had something to do with the DLTK bits and pieces.
Re: Alternative to Eclipse PDT... too slow [message #730495 is a reply to message #728774] Wed, 28 September 2011 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alex Angelico is currently offline Alex AngelicoFriend
TrinitronX wrote on Fri, 23 September 2011 16:57
FWIW: Zend Studio may give you guys better results.

The last I checked there was a problem with PDT's PHP Validator. I think this had something to do with the DLTK bits and pieces.

I'm pretty sure Zend Studio is based on Eclipse. the PDT extension is just a "small" Zend Studio if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, I'm not expending $300 just to check...

Re: Alternative to Eclipse PDT... too slow [message #731474 is a reply to message #730495] Sat, 01 October 2011 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert Gruendler is currently offline Robert GruendlerFriend
i've had issues with very weak editor performancee on OSX. After switching from the 64 bit to the 32 bit version, the problems were gone.
Re: Alternative to Eclipse PDT... too slow [message #731559 is a reply to message #632052] Sat, 01 October 2011 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
forsoap is currently offline forsoapFriend
I am also not in pleasure with this IDE, just want to say that PHPStorm make me happy, this is also Java based software but seems to be PHPStorm developers know how to do.
Re: Alternative to Eclipse PDT... too slow [message #754104 is a reply to message #632052] Mon, 31 October 2011 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jinsuck Kim is currently offline Jinsuck KimFriend
I have been using Eclipse for work for more than 2 years, and it seems that the problem with my current PDT installation is that I am unable to turn off javascript support. I tried all options that I could find, but whenever open a PHP or JS file, the severe slowness does not go away. However, I don't have any slowdown issue if the file contains just PHP code. Our project has 10,000 files (PHP, html, js, etc.) and I am running with SSD and quad core (so hardware is not an issue). Unfortunately I cannot switch to an alternative of Eclipse and just hoping that this slowness will be fixed ASAP. I am using PDT 3.0 with Eclipse 3.7
Re: Alternative to Eclipse PDT... too slow [message #759062 is a reply to message #754104] Fri, 25 November 2011 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Natalia Bartol is currently offline Natalia BartolFriend
Jinsuck Kim,

To disable JS support you can open .project file and remove

<buildCommand>
<name>org.eclipse.wst.jsdt.core.javascriptValidator</name>
<arguments>
</arguments>
</buildCommand>

and

<nature>org.eclipse.wst.jsdt.core.jsNature</nature>

HTH
Re: Alternative to Eclipse PDT... too slow [message #1058850 is a reply to message #632052] Wed, 15 May 2013 12:05 Go to previous message
Anthony Servedio is currently offline Anthony ServedioFriend
In case someone follows this thread and think eclipse pdt is still painful with php, it is not. When I upgraded to Juno, it became sluggish and just painful so I reverted to Indigo and it's been fine! Now I have been trying Kepler since few weeks and it's better! I can open more then one 12k files project at the same time and get proper code traversing and completion and all. I can open 5 eclipse windows with 5 editors each no problem.

If you do use Kepler, as of right now you must use the nightly pdt build update site: http://download.eclipse.org/tools/pdt/updates/3.2-nightly
Previous Topic:Install Eclipse for PHP Developers
Next Topic:a collection of PDT errors on Eclipse Classic 4.2.2
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 02:10:13 GMT 2024