Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Cannot build: all build commands fail without error, do nothing.
Cannot build: all build commands fail without error, do nothing. [message #631572] Fri, 08 October 2010 04:25 Go to next message
PorcelainMouse  is currently offline PorcelainMouse Friend
Does anyone know how to fix this? I was creating a new Eclipse project for some old code with a working Makefile when all the build commands in Eclipse just stopped working.

First, I created a new Makefile project, created some build targets, and that was working fine. Then, I created a debug configuration for one target, and that was working fine, too. Then, for some unknown reason, all the Eclipse build commands stopped working.

Now, when I try to build any target or build all, nothing happens. The console tab shows no output whatsoever. Clean still works, but then I'm completely stuck because I can't rebuild any targets.

GNU make still works as expected. And, if I rebuild a target that way, I can debug it with Eclipse. But I still can't build anything with Eclipse.

So confused.
Re: Cannot build: all build commands fail without error, do nothing. [message #631586 is a reply to message #631572] Fri, 08 October 2010 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
Quote:
Now, when I try to build any target or build all, nothing happens. The console tab shows no output whatsoever. Clean still works, but then I'm completely stuck because I can't rebuild any targets.

What is your build and clean command? When you create a new make target with the command "pwd" will it show some output in the console (it should print the working directory)?

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Re: Cannot build: all build commands fail without error, do nothing. [message #631835 is a reply to message #631572] Sat, 09 October 2010 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not sure what you mean. I think the command is 'make <target>'. At least that's what *used to be* on the console when it was working. Or, 'make all'. The clean command is 'make cleanall', which I changed from the default since there is no 'clean' target in the Makefile, only 'cleanall'. Does that answer your question?
Re: Cannot build: all build commands fail without error, do nothing. [message #631978 is a reply to message #631835] Mon, 11 October 2010 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When you create a new make target with the command "pwd" will it show some output in the console (it should print the working directory)? Can you please try.

Before you ask
- search this forum
- google
Re: Cannot build: all build commands fail without error, do nothing. [message #632138 is a reply to message #631572] Mon, 11 October 2010 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for your help. I'm sorry but I had to give up on using Eclipse this way, and I deleted the project that was having this problem. As I said, I've had this recur every time I've tried to build a project for this code. But, naturally, I couldn't reproduce it this time.

In the new project, a target called 'pwd' produces this output:

make pwd
make: *** No rule to make target `pwd'. Stop.

This makes sense to me and I don't think it should print the working directory.

But, before, when this problem is occurring, there is no output in the console tab at all. I've tried creating new targets when this happens and they don't work, either.

I will not delete this project, this time, and see if the problem recurs later.

I do have a copy of the old .cproject and .project files, though. Comparing them to the new ones shows many differences. But, it looks like there are multiple instances of the some variables in different places in both versions, so it's not easy to tell what is different, exactly. Maybe when it recurs, I'll be able to see what changed in the .cproject file, this time.
Re: Cannot build: all build commands fail without error, do nothing. [message #757184 is a reply to message #631572] Thu, 17 November 2011 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rimbosity is currently offline rimbosityFriend
Same thing happened to me. EXTREMELY frustrating. No clue what's gone wrong, and no indication from the UI anywhere that I even requested it to build anything.
make is not executed, without error [message #757215 is a reply to message #631572] Thu, 17 November 2011 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nikolai Busse is currently offline Nikolai BusseFriend
I have a similar problem on my Linux development environment, using Eclipse 3.7.0 with CDT 8.0.0.201106081058.

make is set up properly in /usr/bin/make and this is contained in my $PATH.
Calling make from the command line works fine.

In my Eclipse C++ project, the C++ Build settings may be set either to "Use default build command"
(which is make), or explicitely to "make ".
In both cases, triggering a build just shows

**** Build of configuration Default for project test_genstruct ****

make all 

**** Build Finished ****

Even worse, sometimes the build works, other times not. I have no clue why.

A solution is to set the build command explicitely to "/usr/bin/make".
But why doesn't Eclipse execute the "make"?

[Updated on: Thu, 17 November 2011 07:43]

Report message to a moderator

Re: make is not executed, without error [message #757737 is a reply to message #757215] Mon, 21 November 2011 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is there a different make in your $PATH? When you type
which make
on the console will it output
/usr/bin/make
?

Before you ask
- search this forum
- google
Re: make is not executed, without error [message #758665 is a reply to message #757737] Thu, 24 November 2011 07:27 Go to previous message
Nikolai Busse is currently offline Nikolai BusseFriend
The make path is ok:
which make
/usr/bin/make

Maybe there was a problem with the Build location in the C/C++ Build settings, so the make has been started in another directory where it had nothing to do.
Now, it works fine, either with Build command = "make" or "/usr/bin/make".
Previous Topic:Debugging Issues
Next Topic:new installation - problems with the editor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 20:16:37 GMT 2024