Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Platform - User Assistance (UA) » Standalone help a misnomer?
Standalone help a misnomer? [message #623801] Tue, 22 December 2009 04:45 Go to next message
Richard Pineger is currently offline Richard PinegerFriend
Is it heretical to suggest that the lifecycle of Standalone help, as run from the class org.eclipse.help.standalone.Help, cannot be effectively managed without having a separate application (or scripts) to both start and shutdown? If a separate app is necessary then surely it isn't standalone at all?

I'm being deliberately controversial to encourage someone to help me.

The basic premise is this. However you start the help, clicking close using the X in the top-right corner simply closes the window and doesn't stop the program. I asked a developer to look at this for me and his findings were thus:

"There is quirk on the Windows platform where, because the Help window is launched from a separate UI thread, it's not possible to automatically shut down the application when the Help window is closed (i.e., it still does not shut down cleanly when the user closes the Help window)."

The reason would be that the help was designed to run alongside an RCP application and is not in any way stand alone.

My question is this: Is it possible to use the help as the RCP application on its own, i.e. stand-alone? Is anyone using it that way?

Thanks for your time and effort in advance.

Regards,
Richard
Re: Standalone help a misnomer? [message #623808 is a reply to message #623801] Tue, 22 December 2009 21:57 Go to previous message
Chris Goldthorpe is currently offline Chris GoldthorpeFriend
Adding help to an RCP application sounds like what you want to do, here's an article on how to do it.

http://www.eclipse.org/articles/article.php?file=Article-Add ingHelpToRCP/index.html
Previous Topic:FormPage is not expanding contents on window resize
Next Topic:Referencing Cheat Sheets from Eclipse Docs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 14:19:34 GMT 2024