Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Communications Framework (ECF) » Is ECF suitable for simple file transfer?
Is ECF suitable for simple file transfer? [message #607587] Mon, 25 September 2006 18:47 Go to next message
Pascal Rapicault is currently offline Pascal RapicaultFriend
Messages: 440
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi,

I'm new to ECF. I'm evaluating the technology to understand if it can suit
my need.
Basically, I need to transfer files from ftp, http, local file system,
bittorent, and I would eventually have to plug additional "transports".
I would like to know if ECF has supports for that, and which transports are
already plugged in.

Thx

PaScaL
Re: Is ECF suitable for simple file transfer? [message #607589 is a reply to message #607587] Tue, 26 September 2006 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott Lewis is currently offline Scott LewisFriend
Messages: 1038
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Pascal,

I've been doing a revision of the fileshare API, and this API does
support the semantics you are looking for:

http://www.eclipse.org/ecf/org.eclipse.ecf.docs/api/org/ecli pse/ecf/filetransfer/package-frame.html


The pause/resume is provided via IPausable adapter (off of
IOutgoingFileTransfer and IIncomingFileTransfer).

We/I haven't had a chance yet to implement the providers for this API
(transports), but do have java implementations of ftp, http, local file
system and bittorent (through Remy Suen for Google SOC project) all
currently exist, so this could be done relatively quickly with
cooperation among those involved.

Thanks,

Scott

Pascal Rapicault wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to ECF. I'm evaluating the technology to understand if it can suit
> my need.
> Basically, I need to transfer files from ftp, http, local file system,
> bittorent, and I would eventually have to plug additional "transports".
> I would like to know if ECF has supports for that, and which transports are
> already plugged in.
>
> Thx
>
> PaScaL
>
>
Re: Is ECF suitable for simple file transfer? [message #607653 is a reply to message #607589] Tue, 26 September 2006 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott Lewis is currently offline Scott LewisFriend
Messages: 1038
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Folks,

Scott Lewis wrote:
<stuff deleted>

> The pause/resume is provided via IPausable adapter (off of
> IOutgoingFileTransfer and IIncomingFileTransfer).

Oops...I meant IFileTransferPausable

Scott
Re: Is ECF suitable for simple file transfer? [message #607656 is a reply to message #607589] Tue, 26 September 2006 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pascal Rapicault is currently offline Pascal RapicaultFriend
Messages: 440
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Thanks for this information.

However, as you could have guessed, now I have a few follow-on questions:
- How much overhead (time & memory) is involved in using the ECF abstraction
over, for example directly talking http.
- How big (in terms of jar) would all the ECF bundles needed to use the
filetransfer API be?
- Is there a way to get information about the current transfer rate?
- Does the implementation of http and ftp rely on apache libraries?
- Do you have examples on how to use the old and the new filetransfer APIs,
so I can have a feel for it?
- Do transports support authentication?
- Do transports support proxy?

Thx in advance.

PaScaL


"Scott Lewis" <slewis@composent.com> wrote in message
news:4519AABF.9020508@composent.com...
> Hi Pascal,
>
> I've been doing a revision of the fileshare API, and this API does support
> the semantics you are looking for:
>
> http://www.eclipse.org/ecf/org.eclipse.ecf.docs/api/org/ecli pse/ecf/filetransfer/package-frame.html
>
>
> The pause/resume is provided via IPausable adapter (off of
> IOutgoingFileTransfer and IIncomingFileTransfer).
>
> We/I haven't had a chance yet to implement the providers for this API
> (transports), but do have java implementations of ftp, http, local file
> system and bittorent (through Remy Suen for Google SOC project) all
> currently exist, so this could be done relatively quickly with cooperation
> among those involved.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott
>
> Pascal Rapicault wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm new to ECF. I'm evaluating the technology to understand if it can
>> suit my need.
>> Basically, I need to transfer files from ftp, http, local file system,
>> bittorent, and I would eventually have to plug additional "transports".
>> I would like to know if ECF has supports for that, and which transports
>> are already plugged in.
>>
>> Thx
>>
>> PaScaL
Re: Is ECF suitable for simple file transfer? [message #607658 is a reply to message #607656] Wed, 27 September 2006 02:10 Go to previous message
Scott Lewis is currently offline Scott LewisFriend
Messages: 1038
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Pascal,

The basic answer is that we don't really have accurate data pertinent to
your questions about time and memory, as we haven't built
implementations of the API for various transports yet.

Pascal Rapicault wrote:
> Thanks for this information.
>
> However, as you could have guessed, now I have a few follow-on questions:
> - How much overhead (time & memory) is involved in using the ECF abstraction
> over, for example directly talking http.

Don't know. I can tell you, though, that I would expect the http
implementation (whichever is used to implement the provider) to have
most of the actual overhead. But I don't think the ECF
interfaces/classes will be significant relative to the code implementing
the protocol.


> - How big (in terms of jar) would all the ECF bundles needed to use the
> filetransfer API be?

There would be two bundles required for all protocols: org.eclipse.ecf
(core) and org.eclipse.ecf.fileshare. The jars for these two bundles
are currently 157K and 40K respectively. The fileshare bundle will
shrink, however (by about half, I expect) when the old API is removed.

There will be at least one other bundle that is the provider
implementation for one/several protocols. I wouldn't expect this bundle
to be particularly large, however, as it will likely use other libraries
for implementing ftp and http (probably org.eclipse.team.ftp for ftp,
for example).

> - Is there a way to get information about the current transfer rate?

For the bitorrent provider we defined another adapter interface for
setting max download rate. It would make sense to define another
adapter for getting info about the current transfer rate for providers
that supported that functionality.

> - Does the implementation of http and ftp rely on apache libraries?

They haven't been written yet, so I can't say...but I was anticipating
using the Eclipse ftp plugin rather than http.

> - Do you have examples on how to use the old and the new filetransfer APIs,
> so I can have a feel for it?

Not yet for the new file transfer API. I'll try to work on that soon.

> - Do transports support authentication?

Some transports do (e.g. ftp/sftp) others don't (raw http). The ECF
API, however, does support authentication and so would be superfluous
for providers that donot have authentication.

> - Do transports support proxy?

Depends upon provider implementation. I'm not sure as I'm not sure
which implementation of each protocol will be used.

Thanks,

Scott


>
> Thx in advance.
>
> PaScaL
>
>
> "Scott Lewis" <slewis@composent.com> wrote in message
> news:4519AABF.9020508@composent.com...
>> Hi Pascal,
>>
>> I've been doing a revision of the fileshare API, and this API does support
>> the semantics you are looking for:
>>
>> http://www.eclipse.org/ecf/org.eclipse.ecf.docs/api/org/ecli pse/ecf/filetransfer/package-frame.html
>>
>>
>> The pause/resume is provided via IPausable adapter (off of
>> IOutgoingFileTransfer and IIncomingFileTransfer).
>>
>> We/I haven't had a chance yet to implement the providers for this API
>> (transports), but do have java implementations of ftp, http, local file
>> system and bittorent (through Remy Suen for Google SOC project) all
>> currently exist, so this could be done relatively quickly with cooperation
>> among those involved.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Scott
>>
>> Pascal Rapicault wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm new to ECF. I'm evaluating the technology to understand if it can
>>> suit my need.
>>> Basically, I need to transfer files from ftp, http, local file system,
>>> bittorent, and I would eventually have to plug additional "transports".
>>> I would like to know if ECF has supports for that, and which transports
>>> are already plugged in.
>>>
>>> Thx
>>>
>>> PaScaL
>
>
Previous Topic:Shared_Text_Editor
Next Topic:Notes from ECF conference call 10.2.2006
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Wed Aug 12 21:10:23 GMT 2020

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02326 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top