Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » Basic Editor Question
Basic Editor Question [message #604974] Wed, 10 March 2010 15:14 Go to next message
Darin is currently offline DarinFriend
Hello,

OK, first off here's my specs.

Java Version : j2sdk1.4.2_05
Eclipse Version : 3.3.2 (Europa)

I just had a basic question in regard to creating an editor that supports syntax highlighting (eventually I plan to expand on it, but I want to get this basic part working first). Basically I want to be able to start my project and be able to select File.. Open, select a file and it automatically starts the Editor for that file extension.

I've created the default Plug-in project, based off the "Plug-in with an editor" template, and my one question is this:

How do I go about setting up the project so that when I launch it (F11), I can just select File.. Open, select the .xml file, and it will automatically launch the XML Editor. As it stands now, I have to create a new Java project, add-in the .xml file, and the right click on the .xml file and tell it to "open with..." XML Editor.

For instance, I can start Eclipse (where I have the CDT installed), select File.. Open, select a .c or .cpp file, and the C/C++ Editor is automatically loaded with the .c/.cpp (syntax highlighting and all). Can you please help me and guide me as to what I need to do to get this functionality implemented?

Thanks for your help.

- Darin
Re: Basic Editor Question [message #604982 is a reply to message #604974] Wed, 10 March 2010 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stan is currently offline StanFriend
Open up your editor extension in plugin.xml and add the file extensions you want to handle into the "extensions" field.
Re: Basic Editor Question [message #604985 is a reply to message #604982] Wed, 10 March 2010 18:50 Go to previous message
Darin is currently offline DarinFriend
I have xml listed in the extensions, but still a no go. I still have to create a project before it will let me open the file in an XML Editor.

I tried setting default to true in the Extensions tab of plugin.xml, but now when I try to open an xml document, when there is no open project, the Editor just opens and displays "ERROR" on the page with a blue line above it. If I have a project open, then I can just open any xml file and it will display fine without me having to select the "Open with...", "XML Editor" option.

- Darin
Previous Topic:update site pde build
Next Topic:Headless build problems
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 16:18:55 GMT 2024