Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » PDE Builder and project registered builders
PDE Builder and project registered builders [message #591511] Thu, 05 February 2009 15:37
Laurent Petit is currently offline Laurent PetitFriend
Hello,

I have a plugin project that uses jibx.
jibx does bytecode enhancement to existing classes. It also creates new classes based on information it finds in classes it enhances.

I installed jibx eclipse plugin that adds a jibx nature and a jibx builder to the project.

So everything works well in the modify/save/auto-build/launch development cycle.

But when I try to use the "export" functionality, either directly, or indirectly via the build of a feature via the build of the eclipse update sites, it does not work.

It's as if the export functionality does not leverage the project registered builders.

Is there a solution to this ? Is it a problem in jibx eclipse plugin not correctly doing something to be used via the export functionality ?
Is this a current problem with the eclipse PDE builder ?

I came up with 2 solutions currently, each of which has some cons :

- custom builder. I tell plugin.xml that I will use a custom builder. Ask PDE to create the build.xml file. Tweak the build.xml file. It's not very interesting, because it seems that a lot of things
are hardwired. The generated build.xml file seems to not have been thought to be usable in the long term (lack of factorization, ...).

- play with plugin.xml options : the idea here is to not make PDE compile the classes at all, and prefer instructing him to use the same classes than those compiled via the
modify/save/auto-build/launch/test cycle :
- "runtime" tab : add to the classpath the folder(s) where classes are compiled in the classic development cycle (generally speaking : 'bin' folder)
- "build" tab : "runtime information section" : delete the library named '.' (since we already get all by directly adding 'bin' in the classpath)
- "build" tab : "binary build section" : add folder 'bin' if not already added

I can just see one drawback to this : if the developer's worskpace is not in auto-build, or if the developer has not triggered a build before trying to export, then the 'bin' directory of the
generated plugin jar/folder will be empty.

Do you see other drawbacks to the second solution I may encounter in the long run ?
Previous Topic:Access a class of a project from plugin code, using the classpath of the project
Next Topic:How to create config.ini file to accept any eclipse plugins in my rcp
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 03:05:09 GMT 2024