Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Web Tools incubator » XPath Search
XPath Search [message #577268] Wed, 09 June 2010 13:59
Alessandro Carraro is currently offline Alessandro CarraroFriend
Hi to all.
I've the following feature request. It is not an 'official' feature request, since I do not know if there is some functionality in Eclipse or in some 3rd party plugin that offers this feature. Just an attempt to discuss an idea for a new XML plugin.

The feature I'm looking for is a search page analogous to the normal textual search page. The purpose is to look into xml documents in a certain scope (workspace, resource and children, working set) for text and structure (for example using XPath).
The reason behind this is that plugins I found work only on one resource at a time, while I'd like to search in the wole context. Textual search is what I'm using now, but sometimes I need to do searches like:

tell me what docs have tag X with prop a=10 and prob b=20. The problem is that matching
<X a="10" .... b="20">
<X a="10" .... b="20"/>
<X .... a="10" b="20">
<X .... a="10" b="20" ....>
<X a="10" b="20" ....>
<X b="20" a="10">

is rather easy for an XML lib but rather difficult to do with regular expressions.

I'd also love to have this both as UI and as core API do use it in custom XML plugin like mine (it is a 'normal' StructuredTextViewerConfigurationXML extension)

what do you think about?

thanks
Alex
Previous Topic:XPath Search
Next Topic:Error in birt
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 10:38:51 GMT 2024