Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » PDT server support
PDT server support [message #58160] Sat, 13 October 2007 22:21 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: shiva.io.com

Does PDT, in fact, come supplied with an internal server capable of
previewing PHP pages, or does it assume that you have manually installed
some kind of server software separately from your PDT installation? I'd
really like there to be some sort of preview capability that doesn't
involve a full-blown Apache install.

--
Earl Cooley III (shiva@io.com)
Re: PDT server support [message #58184 is a reply to message #58160] Sun, 14 October 2007 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: news.kasimir-k.fi

Earl Cooley scribeva in 13/10/2007 22:21:
> Does PDT, in fact, come supplied with an internal server capable of
> previewing PHP pages,

No.

> or does it assume that you have manually installed
> some kind of server software separately from your PDT installation?

Yes. The server doesn't have to be on the same computer though.

> I'd
> really like there to be some sort of preview capability that doesn't
> involve a full-blown Apache install.

Full-blown Apache (+ PHP + MySQL + ...) install actually is not at all
complicated, especially when using packages like XAMPP
<http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html>.


..k
Re: PDT server support [message #58210 is a reply to message #58184] Sun, 14 October 2007 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: shiva.io.com

kasimir k wrote:
> Earl Cooley scribeva in 13/10/2007 22:21:
>> Does PDT, in fact, come supplied with an internal server capable of
>> previewing PHP pages,
>
> No.
>
>> or does it assume that you have manually installed some kind of server
>> software separately from your PDT installation?
>
> Yes. The server doesn't have to be on the same computer though.
>
>> I'd really like there to be some sort of preview capability that
>> doesn't involve a full-blown Apache install.
>
> Full-blown Apache (+ PHP + MySQL + ...) install actually is not at all
> complicated, especially when using packages like XAMPP
> <http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html>.

I must say, that's a bit disappointing. I'd much rather PDT Eclipse had
preview capability similar to TopStyle. Installing a real server,
because it involves potential contact with the outside world, is
inherently insecure. With XAMPP (which I have used before with Maguma
Workbench), I'd have to pull the internet connection cable out of the
wall, install XAMPP, do my programming work, and uninstall XAMPP before
taking the risk of plugging back in, every session, every time (at least
until I can afford the expense of a separate disconnected development
PC). That's a real pain. A server emulator that renders pages based on
executables on my development PC but doesn't actually expose ports to
the outside world would be much, much nicer.

So, the WST Server Tools for Eclipse, that's the same way, right? No
actual included mini-server, just a framework to communicate with an
existing external server? Problematic in any case, since currently, WST
doesn't recognize PDT Projects.

--
Earl Cooley III (shiva@io.com)
Re: PDT server support [message #58235 is a reply to message #58210] Sun, 14 October 2007 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: news.kasimir-k.fi

Earl Cooley scribeva in 14/10/2007 15:40:
> I must say, that's a bit disappointing. I'd much rather PDT Eclipse had
> preview capability similar to TopStyle. Installing a real server,
> because it involves potential contact with the outside world, is
> inherently insecure. With XAMPP (which I have used before with Maguma
> Workbench), I'd have to pull the internet connection cable out of the
> wall, install XAMPP, do my programming work, and uninstall XAMPP before
> taking the risk of plugging back in, every session, every time (at least
> until I can afford the expense of a separate disconnected development
> PC). That's a real pain.

Indeed sounds like a Royal PITA! But I'd say it also very unnecessary.
In the httpd.conf line
Listen 127.0.0.1:80
will make Apache respond only to request originating from your own
computer. And if you don't change the default MySQL setting, then it
will only allow connections from localhost. And of course you disable
the ftp and mail servers. So the only running servers are Apache and
MySQL, and both will only talk with localhost.

..k
Re: PDT server support [message #58259 is a reply to message #58210] Sun, 14 October 2007 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: f13o.pletisan.rs.ba

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Earl Cooley wrote:
> Workbench), I'd have to pull the internet connection cable out of the
> wall, install XAMPP, do my programming work, and uninstall XAMPP before
> taking the risk of plugging back in, every session, every time (at least
> until I can afford the expense of a separate disconnected development
> PC). That's a real pain.

If you have XAMPP installed, check for http://localhost/security/index.php

Here you should see services running and an explanation of if they are
secure or not (at least as XAMPP sees them).

Anyway, I don't think there is a need of plug-unplug hassle every time.

- --
Igor MILOVANOVIC

http://www.linkedin.com/in/igormilovanovic
- ----------------------------------------------
skype > igor.milovanovic@skype.com
blog > http://f13o.pletisan.rs.ba/blog/
gallery > http://www.flickr.com/photos/f13o
bookmarks > http://del.icio.us/pletisan
music > http://www.last.fm/user/pletisan/
- ----------------------------------------------
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFHEmfrFQpg8i6alksRAg2fAJwJmXEDoQQokuqpWCiWg+wiJCGKFQCf fuzu
o7MpLih60uocF4iAd4yZXw0=
=0S8T
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Re: PDT server support [message #58607 is a reply to message #58184] Tue, 16 October 2007 08:28 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: ptomli.gmail.com

In article <fesvei$f7t$1@build.eclipse.org> kasimir
k<news@kasimir-k.fi> wrote:

>> I'd
>> really like there to be some sort of preview capability that
>> doesn't involve a full-blown Apache install.

> Full-blown Apache (+ PHP + MySQL + ...) install actually is not at
> all complicated, especially when using packages like XAMPP
> http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html.
>

I have to agree with Earl that an 'internal' Eclipse based server
solution would be far preferable. Essentially mimicking the way
JST/JEE works withtheir servers.

The WTP appears to support non-Java servers, like 'HTTP Preview' and
'HTTP Server'. I'd suggest, as mentioned on the Wiki discussion on the
topic http://wiki.eclipse.org/PHP_WTP_Integration that extension of
theexisting framework would be a better way to go.

For example, assuming you have a local 'install' of Apache httpd, and
a PHP 'install' (note not necessarily running), the PDT 'server'
properties pages could allow the user to select the httpd runtime, and
the php execand manage the httpd.conf, php.ini, etc.

The server could be started, stopped etc using the existing framework,
using an Eclipse/PDT/Server specific ServerRoot, binding to localhost.

This would allow multiple combinations of versions of Apache, PHP, etc
to be setup and tested, without the need to actually 'install' Apache
orPHP.

MySQL (or other) may be more problematic, though there may be
something tohelp in the DTP.




--

I'm using an evaluation license of nemo since 106 days.
You should really try it!
http://www.malcom-mac.com/nemo
Previous Topic:Debug Error: "error while publishing files to server"
Next Topic:XDebug remote, breaking on exceptions
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Mon Jan 30 17:28:15 GMT 2023

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.05265 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top