Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Remus Information Management » File attachments(Create attachments of any file type)
icon4.gif  File attachments [message #559014] Wed, 15 September 2010 10:34 Go to next message
BasicGuy  is currently offline BasicGuy Friend
I would like to use Remus for collecting all information I have related to a project. Currently I cannot do so, since only certain file types are supported.

So, my main point is that even if some files cannot be handled by Remus it still would nice if you could attach them anyway, otherwise you would need a separate non-Remus storage for this.

I understand that you want to have handlers for the most popular content types. But if a file type is not supported, it could simply be opened by whatever is the default in the underlying operating system.

I understand that editing such files is another matter, but even read-only attachments would be a better solution than none at all.
Re: File attachments [message #560139 is a reply to message #559014] Tue, 21 September 2010 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom Seidel is currently offline Tom SeidelFriend
Hi,

We already have something like "Other filetype" information type in our minds. This type is exactly for the given scenario, a file which is not represented by a separate information type. But there will be some drawbacks, of course:
1. The content won't be indexed
2. You cannot view the content of this file in Remus, we'll just provide a link, which opens the file with the default system-application.

One question: Do you think it also makes sense to provide an information type where several files can be attached, to group many files within one information unit?

Timeframe will be the End of November to provide such a filetype, so stay tuned.. Very Happy

Cheerz
Tom
Re: File attachments [message #625311 is a reply to message #560139] Wed, 22 September 2010 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BasicGuy  is currently offline BasicGuy Friend
Thanks for your reply.

Tom Seidel wrote on Tue, 21 September 2010 06:30

One question: Do you think it also makes sense to provide an information type where several files can be attached, to group many files within one information unit?

Well, if you make a type which is a dynamic (you can add or remove) collection of attachments, that would be great.

Actually you already have this concept implemented in the email type. So, maybe you could make this generic in a way that some of the other basic types (txt, rich text, source code, task, etc) would accept attachments. If you have a group of attachments, you would anyway want to be able to describe the group. That description may as well be in the txt, rich text, etc. type. In any case a simple group of attachments with a plain text description would be excellent.

Quote:

You cannot view the content of this file in Remus, we'll just provide a link, which opens the file with the default system-application

I hope that with "link" you mean a link to a file which has been copied to the repository, and not a link to where ever the file may be on disk. Non-embedded attachments quite often get obsolete over time (like URLs).

[Updated on: Wed, 22 September 2010 08:26]

Report message to a moderator

Re: File attachments [message #628700 is a reply to message #625311] Thu, 23 September 2010 17:43 Go to previous message
Tom Seidel is currently offline Tom SeidelFriend
BasicGuy wrote on Wed, 22 September 2010 04:19

Well, if you make a type which is a dynamic (you can add or remove) collection of attachments, that would be great.

Actually you already have this concept implemented in the email type. So, maybe you could make this generic in a way that some of the other basic types (txt, rich text, source code, task, etc) would accept attachments. If you have a group of attachments, you would anyway want to be able to describe the group. That description may as well be in the txt, rich text, etc. type. In any case a simple group of attachments with a plain text description would be excellent.

Ok, filed Smile

BasicGuy wrote on Wed, 22 September 2010 04:19

I hope that with "link" you mean a link to a file which has been copied to the repository, and not a link to where ever the file may be on disk. Non-embedded attachments quite often get obsolete over time (like URLs).

Of course. The information unit embedds the file also "physically".

Cheerz,
Tom
Previous Topic:WebDAV synchronization
Next Topic:Dead Project ???
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 00:16:06 GMT 2024