Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Integrating my Xtext DSL into a minimal Eclipse
Integrating my Xtext DSL into a minimal Eclipse [message #558052] Fri, 10 September 2010 02:26 Go to next message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
I would like to integrate my DSL (created in Xtext) into a minimal Eclipse (I downloaded the 50MB binary which has no development stuff, just the basics). I copied the three plugins to the "dropins" folder. However, I don't seem to see the "HLM Project" in File->New->Other. This is what I have in my plugin.xml:

<extension
        point="org.eclipse.ui.newWizards">
<wizard
id="org.xtext.example.hlm.ui.wizard.MyHLMNewProjectWizard"        class="org.xtext.example.hlm.ui.MyHLMExecutableExtensionFactory:org.xtext.example.hlm.ui.wizard.MyHLMNewProjectWizard"
        helpHref="Create a new HLM project"
        icon="icons/editor.gif"    
        name="HLM Project"
        project="true">
        <description>Create a new HLM project</description>
         </wizard>

What am I doing wrong? It works in Eclipse-Xtext but not in the minimal Eclipse.

Also rather than putting it in Other, what if I justed wanted FIle->New->HLM Project? How can I do this in plugin.xml? I tried supplying the category as

category=org.eclipse.ui.Basic

but that didn't seem to work. Thank you for any ideas/help.
Re: Integrating my Xtext DSL into a minimal Eclipse [message #558057 is a reply to message #558052] Fri, 10 September 2010 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I made some progress. This is what I have now in my plugin.xml

<extension 
	         point="org.eclipse.ui.newWizards"> 
	         <category 
	          id="org.xtext.example.hlm.ui.category1" 
	  name="TPAD"> 
	</category> 

<wizard 
	            class="org.xtext.example.hlm.ui.MyHLMExecutableExtensionFactory:org.xtext.example.hlm.ui.wizard.MyHLMNewProjectWizard" 
	            icon="icons/editor.gif" 
	            id="org.xtext.example.hlm.ui.wizard.MyHLMNewProjectWizard" 
	category="org.xtext.example.hlm.ui.category1" 
	            name="MyHLM Project" 
	            project="true"> 
	            <description>Create a new MyHLM project</description> 
	      </wizard> 
	   </extension>

Now I can see TPAD - MyHLM Project in the File->New->Project Wizards in Xtext-Eclipse version when I restart it. However, I don't see it in either Eclipse Platform Binary (minimal eclipse) or the Eclipse CDT etc.

In order to deploy these Xtext DSL plugins for usage, is it necessary to have Xtext installed in Eclipse? Or is it necessary to have the Java development tools? Seems strange that this would be necessary.
Re: Integrating my Xtext DSL into a minimal Eclipse [message #558064 is a reply to message #558057] Fri, 10 September 2010 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
Hi,

this is a general OSGi / Eclipse Plugin Development thing: The Xtext Projects you have are Plugins for Eclipse. The Plugins have dependencies (Parts of Xtext / Ecore / JDT and others). You have to fulfill this dependencies (and theirs recursively) to get them running - so of cource this won't be possible with a pure minimal Eclipse or a CDT. To get a better understanding of this you should read something on Eclipse Plugin Development.

~Christian

Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de
Re: Integrating my Xtext DSL into a minimal Eclipse [message #558068 is a reply to message #558052] Fri, 10 September 2010 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I get it now. Should have looked at the Manifest.mf files more closely. The dependencies are clearly shown there!

Thanks.
Re: Integrating my Xtext DSL into a minimal Eclipse [message #558149 is a reply to message #558068] Fri, 10 September 2010 10:32 Go to previous message
Moritz Eysholdt is currently offline Moritz EysholdtFriend
Hi,

I'd recommend to use p2 to compose all the plugins. p2 will analyze the
MANIFEST.MFs automatically and install all needed bundles from updatesites.

As a source of inspiration this shell script might be interesting:
http://git.eclipse.org/c/tmf/org.eclipse.xtext.git/tree/rele ng/org.eclipse.xtext.releng/distrobuilder/targetplatform-3.5 /p2distro.sh

It installs Xtext and some other features into an Eclipse Classic.

regards,
Moritz

On 10.09.10 08:09, pgbackup@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the reply. I get it now. Should have looked at the
> Manifest.mf files more closely. The dependencies are clearly shown there!
>
> Thanks.
>

--
Need professional support for Eclipse Modeling?
Go visit: http://xtext.itemis.com
Previous Topic:Simple xtext Grammar with function calls
Next Topic:crossreference type problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Sep 25 17:12:43 GMT 2024