Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » CDT + JDT?
CDT + JDT? [message #556581] Wed, 01 September 2010 21:50 Go to next message
Matt Matoran is currently offline Matt MatoranFriend
Hey everyone,

I'm a new developer and I recently stumbled upon Eclipse. The program is working great, but I have recently found that I need both the Eclipse CDT (C/C++) and Eclipse JDT (Java) at lot. I was wondering if there was a way to put the CDT and JDT together in one Eclipse program rather than having each in a separate Eclipse program.

In case that was a bit confusing, an example of what I would like to do is the following: When I click "New->Project" I would like to choose to create a C, C++, or Java project rather than having to open up Eclipse CDT to create C/C++ programs and Eclipse JDT to create Java programs.

Thanks,
Re: CDT + JDT? [message #557136 is a reply to message #556581] Sat, 04 September 2010 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Francisco Puga is currently offline Francisco PugaFriend
I think that you can install one of the "pre-builded" IDEs for example Eclipse for Java Developers and then go to Help -> Install new software and insert the repositorie url of the other project.

The update url for cdt is http://download.eclipse.org/tools/cdt/releases/helios
Re: CDT + JDT? [message #557138 is a reply to message #557136] Sun, 05 September 2010 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matt Matoran is currently offline Matt MatoranFriend
Francisco Puga wrote on Sat, 04 September 2010 19:03
I think that you can install one of the "pre-builded" IDEs for example Eclipse for Java Developers and then go to Help -> Install new software and insert the repositorie url of the other project.

The update url for cdt is http://download.eclipse.org/tools/cdt/releases/helios

Thank you for the help! I was able to get it working!
Re: CDT + JDT? [message #905562 is a reply to message #557138] Thu, 30 August 2012 16:33 Go to previous message
amigabill Mising name is currently offline amigabill Mising nameFriend
I was unable to do it as described above. I'm trying to do this with Juno.

I went to help-> install new software and added
http://download.eclipse.org/tools/cdt/releases/juno

This did let me check two lines of CDT boxes (Main features and Optional features) but I get an error that some dependency is missing so it won't actually install.

Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found.
Software being installed: C/C++ Remote Launch 6.0.0.201206111645 (org.eclipse.cdt.launch.remote.feature.group 6.0.0.201206111645)
Missing requirement: C/C++ Remote Debug Launcher 2.4.0.201206111645 (org.eclipse.cdt.launch.remote 2.4.0.201206111645) requires 'bundle org.eclipse.rse.ui [3.0.0,4.0.0)' but it could not be found
Cannot satisfy dependency:
From: C/C++ Remote Launch 6.0.0.201206111645 (org.eclipse.cdt.launch.remote.feature.group 6.0.0.201206111645)
To: org.eclipse.cdt.launch.remote [2.4.0.201206111645]

How do I resolve that?

I'd also like to add the RCP/RAP package for Eclipse Plugins, as well as whatever else sounds good. But I think it's silly to have N independent full installs of Eclipse to use all N IDEs.

Also, for the Java newbie, what's the real difference between Java and JavaEE IDE? If I get the JavaEE one, do I effectively have the "normal Java" JDT as well?

I think it would be nice if Eclipse could tell that I installed the CDT distribution on top of the Java distribution and realize that it now just is both. And then if I install RCP/RAP on top of that combination then it realizes that it now just is all three. And then...

Thank you for your help!

P.S. Why does my Java JDT only install open up first time with a C/C++ button toward the top-right area, just left of "Resource"? Weird...

[Updated on: Thu, 30 August 2012 16:49]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Java 7 Issue
Next Topic:Installation Question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 05:26:55 GMT 2024