Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Buckminster » product feature cannot be resolved in build
product feature cannot be resolved in build [message #556465] Wed, 01 September 2010 13:07 Go to next message
Tomsen  is currently offline Tomsen Friend
Hi there,
I have another build problem now. I get this error
[start de.softproject.xe.standalone.releng:eclipse.feature$1.0.0.qualifier#create.product]
[ant] C:\programs\eclipses\helios\buckminster\plugins\org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.1.0.v20100507.jar
[ant] file:/c:/projects/softproject/xslEasy/de.softproject.xe.standalone.releng_1.0.0-eclipse.feature/site.p2/
[ant] c:\projects\softproject\xslEasy\de.softproject.xe.standalone.releng_1.0.0-eclipse.feature\xsleasy.win32.win32.x86
[ant] Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found.
[ant]  Software being installed: xsl:easy 4.0.28503 (de.softproject.xe.standalone.product 4.0.28503)
[ant]  Missing requirement: xsl:easy 4.0.28503 (de.softproject.xe.standalone.product 4.0.28503) requires 'de.softproject.xe.standalone.feature.feature.group [4.0.28503]' but it could not be found
[ant] Application failed, log file location: C:\programs\eclipses\helios\buckminster\configuration\1283345559458.log

and the log contains

BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=de_DE
Framework arguments:  -application org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director -repository file:/c:/projects/softproject/xslEasy/de.softproject.xe.standalone.releng_1.0.0-eclipse.feature/site.p2/ -destination c:\projects\softproject\xslEasy\de.softproject.xe.standalone.releng_1.0.0-eclipse.feature\xsleasy.win32.win32.x86 -profile XslEasyProfile -profileProperties org.eclipse.update.install.features=true -installIU de.softproject.xe.standalone.product -p2.os win32 -p2.ws win32 -p2.arch x86
Command-line arguments:  -application org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director -repository file:/c:/projects/softproject/xslEasy/de.softproject.xe.standalone.releng_1.0.0-eclipse.feature/site.p2/ -destination c:\projects\softproject\xslEasy\de.softproject.xe.standalone.releng_1.0.0-eclipse.feature\xsleasy.win32.win32.x86 -profile XslEasyProfile -profileProperties org.eclipse.update.install.features=true -installIU de.softproject.xe.standalone.product -p2.os win32 -p2.ws win32 -p2.arch x86 -consoleLog

!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director 4 1 2010-09-01 14:52:40.378
!MESSAGE Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found.
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director 4 0 2010-09-01 14:52:40.378
!MESSAGE Software being installed: xsl:easy 4.0.28503 (de.softproject.xe.standalone.product 4.0.28503)
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director 4 0 2010-09-01 14:52:40.378
!MESSAGE Missing requirement: xsl:easy 4.0.28503 (de.softproject.xe.standalone.product 4.0.28503) requires 'de.softproject.xe.standalone.feature.feature.group [4.0.28503]' but it could not be found

de.softproject.xe.standalone.feature is my overall feature contained in the .product file. I don't know why it looks for a feature group here, the feature itself certainly exists.

I have a .cspex adapted from the Buckminster mailapp tutorial to compile a product.
Launching the product from the .product works.

What I do:
- 'site.p2' followed by a
- 'create.product' which fails here.

Any ideas?

best regards as always

Thomas

Re: product feature cannot be resolved in build [message #556568 is a reply to message #556465] Wed, 01 September 2010 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alex Kravets is currently offline Alex KravetsFriend
Hi Tomsen,

I had similar problem in my build - product launches but create.product fails. Do I understand correctly that your product has dependency on de.softproject.xe.standalone.feature? If it does then it's certainly dependency somewhere else - another feature may be? Hard to tell without seeing the whole product layout.

HTH,
Alex
Re: product feature cannot be resolved in build [message #556638 is a reply to message #556465] Thu, 02 September 2010 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johannes Utzig is currently offline Johannes UtzigFriend
Hi Thomas

Am 01.09.2010 15:07, schrieb Tomsen:
> de.softproject.xe.standalone.feature is my overall feature contained in
> the .product file. I don't know why it looks for a feature group here,
> the feature itself certainly exists.

In p2 terms a feature ends with the suffix 'feature.group', that's
nothing to worry about, just a name.

About your main problem, what feature are you actually invoking site.p2
on? You should be aware that buckminster's default settings regard the
feature you invoke that action on as a 'grouping feature'. One that is
not actually to be built, but only decides what is to be part of the p2
repository. Therefore if you invoke site.p2 on
de.softproject.xe.standalone.feature the p2 repository will not contain
the de.softproject.xe.standalone.feature but only the includes of that
feature. To change these default settings use the property:
site.include.top=true

Hope that helps and best regards,
Johannes
Re: product feature cannot be resolved in build [message #556706 is a reply to message #556638] Thu, 02 September 2010 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, Johannes, this is not the problem. I have a releng feature which keeps all buckminster artefacts and points to the product feature. I call site.p2 from the releng feature.

No, it turns out that Alex is right Very Happy we had problems in the build also when trying to export the product from the product page. I am in the process to fix this and report back when I'm done.

thanks a lot again

-Thomas
Re: product feature cannot be resolved in build [message #556964 is a reply to message #556706] Fri, 03 September 2010 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi, just to wrap this up, we had a build problem in the pde build to start with (came in when the feature structure was changed for the Buckminster Build and no-one tested the product export since the start for debug and runnign worked) and a problem with target definition. The process of defining a target definition seems unstable; when you add and remove locations/feature groups the resolved TP in the IDE does not seem to reflect what has changed. I got unresolved references of the weird kind like expected was jdt.3.5.0 something but the plugins in the site.p2 were jdt.3.5.2. I don't understand what is going on there. This might be a non-issue when going to Hudson since the TP can be completely constructed on the fly there if I understand correctly. In the IDE Buckminster does not really seem add stuff to the TP or at least I don't see that happening correctly.

Having said this much for building a 3.5 app on Helios Buckminster, I have a working build for 3.5 now on a 3.5 Buckminster running in the IDE.

I will now go on to test this with Hudson. Wish me luck Smile
Re: product feature cannot be resolved in build [message #557011 is a reply to message #556964] Fri, 03 September 2010 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Thomas,

Regarding TP in Eclipse. I've noticed too sometimes that when I change my TD and reload, changes are not always taking place. Because of this I developed kind of habit to shutdown Eclipse and restart with eclipse -clean, reloading TP after startup. If I don't and changes are not taken then I can really setup myself for trouble if the problem was "caching" rather than something else - and thus I can start changing stuff around without real need for it. Wash -> Rinse -> Repeat I guess Smile

About TP in Hudson. If you already don't have this in place, I suggest you create a separate job for TP and reuse the job in your builds. This has two advantages: first, you can independently build you TP, second your builds are faster because TP does not need to be imported on each build but reused. You can reference http:// www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=163429&sta rt=0&S=42b5f47586ad19bd17a9f9fe0e0cb93c post for information on how to do it.

Good Luck,
Alex
Re: product feature cannot be resolved in build [message #557027 is a reply to message #557011] Fri, 03 September 2010 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johannes Utzig is currently offline Johannes UtzigFriend
Hi Alex

Am 03.09.2010 17:45, schrieb Alex:
> About TP in Hudson. If you already don't have this in place, I suggest
> you create a separate job for TP and reuse the job in your builds. This
> has two advantages: first, you can independently build you TP, second
> your builds are faster because TP does not need to be imported on each
> build but reused. You can reference
> http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=163429& amp;start=0&S=42b5f47586ad19bd17a9f9fe0e0cb93c
> post for information on how to do it.

Two additional comments on this approach:
1. If you do not delete the materialized TP after the build, the
execution time should be rather similar
2. So far the Target Platform Publisher does not work in a distributed
environment, so it's important that the TP job runs on the same physical
machine as all the builds that use this TP.

Best regards,
Johannes
Re: product feature cannot be resolved in build [message #557031 is a reply to message #557011] Fri, 03 September 2010 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Peter Kullmann is currently offline Peter KullmannFriend
I can confirm this. One has to restart eclipse rather a lot after some
changes to the target platform (I do it without -clean). I never managed
to pin down the problems exactly but I have the feeling that sometimes
pde does not notice a change and sometimes it's buckminster that
doesn't. But for normal operations like create new workspace, create new
empty target directory, materialize stuff, it works very well.

Peter

Alex schrieb:
> Regarding TP in Eclipse. I've noticed too sometimes that when I change
> my TD and reload, changes are not always taking place. Because of this I
> developed kind of habit to shutdown Eclipse and restart with eclipse
> -clean, reloading TP after startup. If I don't and changes are not taken
> then I can really setup myself for trouble if the problem was "caching"
> rather than something else - and thus I can start changing stuff around
> without real need for it. Wash -> Rinse -> Repeat I guess :)
>
Re: product feature cannot be resolved in build [message #557040 is a reply to message #557027] Fri, 03 September 2010 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johannes Utzig wrote on Fri, 03 September 2010 11:57
Hi Alex

Am 03.09.2010 17:45, schrieb Alex:
> About TP in Hudson. If you already don't have this in place, I suggest
> you create a separate job for TP and reuse the job in your builds. This
> has two advantages: first, you can independently build you TP, second
> your builds are faster because TP does not need to be imported on each
> build but reused. You can reference
> http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=163429& amp; amp;start=0&S=42b5f47586ad19bd17a9f9fe0e0cb93c
> post for information on how to do it.

Two additional comments on this approach:
1. If you do not delete the materialized TP after the build, the
execution time should be rather similar
2. So far the Target Platform Publisher does not work in a distributed
environment, so it's important that the TP job runs on the same physical
machine as all the builds that use this TP.

Best regards,
Johannes

Thanks Johannes,

I'll have to double check on #1, I was certain that with importtargetdefintion it was always a bit slower.
Thanks for mentioning #2.

Alex
Re: product feature cannot be resolved in build [message #557218 is a reply to message #557040] Mon, 06 September 2010 07:46 Go to previous message
Thanks again to all.

I have succeeded in building the TP in a separate job now. I have some problems concerning editing Hudson jobs and getting the changes in the build. I'll open new topics for these.
Previous Topic:Using workspace relative target definition
Next Topic:Changes in a Hudson job config don't show up in the build
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 22:31:56 GMT 2024