Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Buckminster » Build for TP 3.5 contains 3.6 plugins(Buckminster 3.6 Build with Target Platform 3.5 produces Output with 3.6 Plugins)
Build for TP 3.5 contains 3.6 plugins [message #554787] Tue, 24 August 2010 12:21 Go to next message
Tomsen  is currently offline Tomsen Friend
Hello,
I tried to follow the mail tutorial http://www.ralfebert.de/blog/eclipsercp/rcp_builds/ and used Helios as the Buckminster base and want to create a Galileo-based RCP app.
I created a Target Platform based on 3.5, which should be used by Buckminster in the build. The TP points to the Galileo release location and adds Eclipse RCP SDK and Platform Launchers.
However the resulting site.p2 dir contains 3.6 org.eclipse.rcp features ... any idea what goes wrong? I have set the 3.5 TP as the TP for my Helios Instance.
Re: Build for TP 3.5 contains 3.6 plugins [message #554872 is a reply to message #554787] Tue, 24 August 2010 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Hallgren is currently offline Thomas HallgrenFriend
Hi Thomas,

Ensure that you specify an explicit target platform location prior to the import call, i.e.

setpref targetPlatformPath=xxx

or

importtargetdefinition -A some.target

If none of these are used, Buckminster will assume that the currently active target platform should be based on a copy
of the Buckminster runtime.

Another thing to look out for is if your rmap somehow appoints repositories that contains 3.6 plug-ins.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

On 08/24/2010 02:21 PM, Tomsen wrote:
> Hello,
> I tried to follow the mail tutorial
> http://www.ralfebert.de/blog/eclipsercp/rcp_builds/ and used Helios as
> the Buckminster base and want to create a Galileo-based RCP app.
> I created a Target Platform based on 3.5, which should be used by
> Buckminster in the build. The TP points to the Galileo release location
> and adds Eclipse RCP SDK and Platform Launchers. However the resulting
> site.p2 dir contains 3.6 org.eclipse.rcp features ... any idea what goes
> wrong? I have set the 3.5 TP as the TP for my Helios Instance.
Re: Build for TP 3.5 contains 3.6 plugins [message #555005 is a reply to message #554872] Wed, 25 August 2010 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Thomas,
I realized that the tutorial by Ralf skips a couple of needed items like the rmap, cspec etc. He also does not explain how you tell Buckminster to use the properties he defines in his 'buckminster.properties'. I suppose I better go looking for a complete example with a developer.cspec, rmap and the whole sheebang. I'll report back how it went.

best regards,
Thomas
Re: Build for TP 3.5 contains 3.6 plugins [message #555015 is a reply to message #554872] Wed, 25 August 2010 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas,
in the BuckyBook I can only find
importtargetdefinition -A some.target

for headless Buckminster. How do I set this for an IDE build? I tried to set the TP as the default TP for the IDE but get the mix of 3.5 and 3.6 plugins as described.
Can I set the TP as a property?
Another question I have is repository layout. What is the standard naming convention for plugin and feature projects referred to in the BuckyBook? feature.id = project name?

Many thanks

Thomas
Re: Build for TP 3.5 contains 3.6 plugins [message #555046 is a reply to message #555015] Wed, 25 August 2010 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Hallgren is currently offline Thomas HallgrenFriend
On 08/25/2010 10:05 AM, Tomsen wrote:
> Thomas,
> in the BuckyBook I can only find importtargetdefinition -A some.target
> for headless Buckminster. How do I set this for an IDE build?

In the IDE, you use the PDE preferences to define target platforms and to define which one that is active. See 'Window'
-> 'Preferences' -> 'Plug-in Development' -> 'Target Platform'

> I tried to
> set the TP as the default TP for the IDE but get the mix of 3.5 and 3.6
> plugins as described. Can I set the TP as a property?

No, but as preferences.

> Another question I have is repository layout. What is the standard
> naming convention for plugin and feature projects referred to in the
> BuckyBook? feature.id = project name?

Yes. The project is normally named after the id of the feature or plugin that it contains. Sometimes you have features
and plugins with the same name. When that happens, the feature project is normally renamed by appending the string
"-feature" at the end.

Regards,
Thomas
Re: Build for TP 3.5 contains 3.6 plugins [message #555073 is a reply to message #555015] Wed, 25 August 2010 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I went back and tried to setup my build with a 3.5 version since Hudson (my ultimate vehicle) can set up Buckminster installs on the fly.
I used
http:// wiki.eclipse.org/Building_an_RCP_application_with_hudson_%28 Buckminster%29 for the test on 3.5 and found that

Console
[start org.eclipse.buckminster.tutorial.mailapp.product.feature:eclipse.feature$1.0.0#copy.plugins]
[end org.eclipse.buckminster.tutorial.mailapp.product.feature:eclipse.feature$1.0.0#copy.plugins]
[start org.eclipse.buckminster.tutorial.mailapp.product.feature:eclipse.feature$1.0.0#site.p2]
[end org.eclipse.buckminster.tutorial.mailapp.product.feature:eclipse.feature$1.0.0#site.p2]
[start org.eclipse.buckminster.tutorial.mailapp.product.feature:eclipse.feature$1.0.0#create.product]
[ant] C:\eclipse\plugins\org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.0.201.R35x_v20090715.jar
[ant] file:/c:/projects/BuckminsterTest/tmp/mail/org.eclipse.buckminster.tutorial.mailapp.product.feature_1.0.0-eclipse.feature/site.p2/
[ant] c:\projects\BuckminsterTest\tmp\mail\org.eclipse.buckminster.tutorial.mailapp.product.feature_1.0.0-eclipse.feature\MailApp
[ant] Unknown option .svn. Use -help for a list of known options.
[ant] Application failed, log file location: C:\eclipse\configuration\1282734879564.log
org.eclipse.core.runtime.CoreException: C:\work\workspaces\Buckminster_mailapp\features\org.eclipse.buckminster.tutorial.mailapp.product.feature\build\product.ant:22: Java returned: 13
C:\work\workspaces\Buckminster_mailapp\features\org.eclipse.buckminster.tutorial.mailapp.product.feature\build\product.ant:22: Java returned: 13: Java returned: 13

eclipse\configuration\1282734879564.log
!SESSION 2010-08-25 13:14:39.375 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=1.6.0_21
java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=de_DE
Framework arguments:  -application org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director -repository file:/c:/projects/BuckminsterTest/tmp/mail/org.eclipse.buckminster.tutorial.mailapp.product.feature_1.0.0-eclipse.feature/site.p2/ -destination c:\projects\BuckminsterTest\tmp\mail\org.eclipse.buckminster.tutorial.mailapp.product.feature_1.0.0-eclipse.feature\MailApp -profile MailProfile -profileProperties org.eclipse.update.install.features=true -installIU org.eclipse.buckminster.tutorial.mailapp.product -p2.os .project .svn buckminster.cspex build build.properties feature.xml README.txt testmailapp.product -p2.ws .project .svn buckminster.cspex build build.properties feature.xml README.txt testmailapp.product -p2.arch .project .svn buckminster.cspex build build.properties feature.xml README.txt testmailapp.product
Command-line arguments:  -application org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director -repository file:/c:/projects/BuckminsterTest/tmp/mail/org.eclipse.buckminster.tutorial.mailapp.product.feature_1.0.0-eclipse.feature/site.p2/ -destination c:\projects\BuckminsterTest\tmp\mail\org.eclipse.buckminster.tutorial.mailapp.product.feature_1.0.0-eclipse.feature\MailApp -profile MailProfile -profileProperties org.eclipse.update.install.features=true -installIU org.eclipse.buckminster.tutorial.mailapp.product -p2.os .project .svn buckminster.cspex build build.properties feature.xml README.txt testmailapp.product -p2.ws .project .svn buckminster.cspex build build.properties feature.xml README.txt testmailapp.product -p2.arch .project .svn buckminster.cspex build build.properties feature.xml README.txt testmailapp.product -consoleLog

!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.p2.core 4 0 2010-08-25 13:14:40.127
!MESSAGE Unknown option .svn. Use -help for a list of known options.

Unknown option .svn???
Is this only working on Hudson? Seems unlikely.
Re: Build for TP 3.5 contains 3.6 plugins [message #555080 is a reply to message #555046] Wed, 25 August 2010 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Hallgren wrote on Wed, 25 August 2010 05:39
On 08/25/2010 10:05 AM, Tomsen wrote:

In the IDE, you use the PDE preferences to define target platforms and to define which one that is active. See 'Window'
-> 'Preferences' -> 'Plug-in Development' -> 'Target Platform'

> I tried to
> set the TP as the default TP for the IDE but get the mix of 3.5 and 3.6
> plugins as described. Can I set the TP as a property?

No, but as preferences.

Ok, that's what I did. I set my target there ... does it create problems if the defined target platform does not resolve all dependencies? I thought I can get by with basically the ${eclipse.version} RCP bundle and have Buckminster fill in the remaining dependencies? It seems rather like remaining deps are resolved against the Buckminster Install by default ... on the other hand Ralf Ebert's tutorial does not even contain a resource map which could be used to look up stuff. I guess I can try again with the mailapp tutorial proper from the Buckminster SVN.

Quote:

> Another question I have is repository layout. What is the standard
> naming convention for plugin and feature projects referred to in the
> BuckyBook? feature.id = project name?

Yes. The project is normally named after the id of the feature or plugin that it contains. Sometimes you have features
and plugins with the same name. When that happens, the feature project is normally renamed by appending the string
"-feature" at the end.

Regards,
Thomas

Thanks very much, I'll need to rework the project names then.
Re: Build for TP 3.5 contains 3.6 plugins [message #555088 is a reply to message #555073] Wed, 25 August 2010 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johannes Utzig is currently offline Johannes UtzigFriend
Hi Thomas,

There's some odd stuff going on with the arguments the ant script is
passing to the director. Look at the parameters:

Am 25.08.2010 13:50, schrieb Tomsen:
> Framework arguments: -application org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director
> -repository
> file:/c:/projects/BuckminsterTest/tmp/mail/org.eclipse.buckm inster.tutorial.mailapp.product.feature_1.0.0-eclipse.featur e/site.p2/
> -destination
> c:\projects\BuckminsterTest\tmp\mail\org.eclipse.buckminster .tutorial.mailapp.product.feature_1.0.0-eclipse.feature\Mail App
> -profile MailProfile -profileProperties
> org.eclipse.update.install.features=true -installIU
> org.eclipse.buckminster.tutorial.mailapp.product -p2.os .project .svn
> buckminster.cspex build build.properties feature.xml README.txt
> testmailapp.product -p2.ws .project .svn buckminster.cspex build
> build.properties feature.xml README.txt testmailapp.product -p2.arch
> .project .svn buckminster.cspex build build.properties feature.xml
> README.txt testmailapp.product

Specifically:

-p2.os .project .svn buckminster.cspex build build.properties
feature.xml README.txt testmailapp.product -p2.ws .project .svn
buckminster.cspex build build.properties feature.xml README.txt
testmailapp.product -p2.arch .project .svn buckminster.cspex build
build.properties feature.xml README.txt testmailapp.product

What are the property values of -p2.os, p2.ws and p2.arch?

Best regards,
Johannes
Re: Build for TP 3.5 contains 3.6 plugins [message #555113 is a reply to message #555088] Wed, 25 August 2010 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johannes,
basically I followed the (Your?) tutorial for building the mailapp on hudson.
I am now at testing the setup from an IDE and I just started Buckminster create.product on the product feature.

I suppose the values You asked for might just not be set in this context as they get normally resolved by hudson?!
Can I set values in the IDE for testing somehow?
Re: Build for TP 3.5 contains 3.6 plugins [message #555127 is a reply to message #555113] Wed, 25 August 2010 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How exactly are you executing this?
My guess is that these properties evaluate in your scenario to *.
And then this * gets exploded by a command line interpreter into all
files in the current execution directory,...

So you might want to set the property values to something other than '*' :)
How to do that depends on how you execute this ant script. If need be,
you can always just write hardcoded values in the ant script.

Best regards,
Johannes
Re: Build for TP 3.5 contains 3.6 plugins [message #555140 is a reply to message #555127] Wed, 25 August 2010 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smile I execute the Buckminster action 'create.product' on the feature.xml of org.eclipse.buckminster.tutorial.mailapp.product.feature by right-clicking on feature.xml and selecting the action from the Buckminster Menu entry ..... just what it says in the tutorial
http:// wiki.eclipse.org/Building_an_RCP_application_with_hudson_%28 Buckminster%29 right before the section "Configuring the build enviroment".

There is nothing on setting any values for these properties.
Re: Build for TP 3.5 contains 3.6 plugins [message #555146 is a reply to message #555140] Wed, 25 August 2010 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, yours seem to evaluate to *. Either use a properties file in the
invoke action dialog that includes meaningful properties for
target.os
target.ws
target.arch

or adjust the product.ant file.

Best regards,
Johannes
Re: Build for TP 3.5 contains 3.6 plugins [message #555297 is a reply to message #555146] Thu, 26 August 2010 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johannes Utzig wrote on Wed, 25 August 2010 10:57
Well, yours seem to evaluate to *. Either use a properties file in the
invoke action dialog that includes meaningful properties for
target.os
target.ws
target.arch

or adjust the product.ant file.

Best regards,
Johannes

Thanks a bunch Johannes, I updated the properties in my buckminster.properties to

# What platforms should be built, * for "all"
target.os=win32
target.ws=win32
target.arch=x86

and - BANG! - it worked! I suppose when used with Hudson, Hudson inserts the proper settings for each build.

Thanks a lot. On we go ...
Re: Build for TP 3.5 contains 3.6 plugins [message #555303 is a reply to message #555297] Thu, 26 August 2010 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Am 26.08.2010 11:16, schrieb Tomsen:
> and - BANG! - it worked! I suppose when used with Hudson, Hudson inserts
> the proper settings for each build.
> Thanks a lot. On we go ...

Glad to hear.
Hudson itself does not fill these property values. In the tutorial in
the eclipse wiki I described how to create a multi configuration project
that builds eclipse products for different os/arch/ws combinations. In
that setup these properties are set by the multiconfiguration project as
described here:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Building_an_RCP_application_with_hud son_%28Buckminster%29#Building_for_multiple_platforms

Best regards,
Johannes
Re: Build for TP 3.5 contains 3.6 plugins [message #555380 is a reply to message #555303] Thu, 26 August 2010 13:19 Go to previous message
Johannes, yes, that is the tutorial I am following Smile From here it should work then.

Thanks a lot again.

Thomas
Previous Topic:Updating workspace
Next Topic:"A selected specification is unresolved"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 07:21:24 GMT 2024