Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Build error does not annotate file, package, or project with error(Build error does not annotate file, package, or project with error)
Build error does not annotate file, package, or project with error [message #553762] Wed, 18 August 2010 18:13 Go to next message
Rich Mayfield is currently offline Rich MayfieldFriend
Eclipse 3.6 and a Java project.

I have a source file that references a bogus package. The reference in the source file when I edit the Java code is underlined and the error marker appears to the side.

The error marker does not appear in the Package Explorer or Project Explorer next to the file, packages, and project. That is, looking at the project or package does not indicate an error.

Any ideas why the error markers are not propagated to the explorers?
Re: Build error does not annotate file, package, or project with error [message #553771 is a reply to message #553762] Wed, 18 August 2010 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
On Wed, 2010-08-18 at 14:13 -0400, Rich Mayfield wrote:
> Eclipse 3.6 and a Java project.
>
> I have a source file that references a bogus package. The reference in the source file when I edit the Java code is underlined and the error marker appears to the side.
>
> The error marker does not appear in the Package Explorer or Project Explorer next to the file, packages, and project. That is, looking at the project or package does not indicate an error.
>
> Any ideas why the error markers are not propagated to the explorers?
>

Errors only show up in Package and Project explorer following a build.
They won't show up while you are editing the file.
Re: Build error does not annotate file, package, or project with error [message #553774 is a reply to message #553771] Wed, 18 August 2010 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good point.

I've always had build-automatically enabled so saving has in the past triggered a build. I disabled auto-build, cleaned, and then explicitly chose build project. Still nothing in the explorers to indicate an error.

Just curious, I recently installed SpringSource Tool Suite (STS) - possibly causing inteference?
Re: Build error does not annotate file, package, or project with error [message #553940 is a reply to message #553762] Thu, 19 August 2010 13:37 Go to previous message
Mystery solved.

I noticed that when I updated source that the "build automatically" was not resulting in an updated .class whenever I updated code.

I poked around, compared a couple of different projects, and noticed that the "Java Builder" was missing from the project's list of Builders. I have no idea why it was missing as it isn't something I would just remove for the sheer joy of it.

Solution in my case, since I didn't see any way of adding the builder in the UI, was to edit .project and ensure the following was included within <buildSpec>...</buildSpec>:

<buildCommand>
<name>org.eclipse.jdt.core.javabuilder</name>
<arguments>
</arguments>
</buildCommand>
Previous Topic:loaderClass for jsps and eclipse launcher config
Next Topic:Getting text of current file within a plugin.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 03:34:48 GMT 2024