Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Studying past Eclipse platform restructuring (from 2.1 to v. 3.0)
icon5.gif  Studying past Eclipse platform restructuring (from 2.1 to v. 3.0) [message #553657] Wed, 18 August 2010 11:50 Go to next message
Nicolas Anquetil is currently offline Nicolas AnquetilFriend
Hi people,

[ not sure this is the proper forum for these questions, but this is the best I could find ]

I want to study the restructuring that took place in eclipse packages when introducing the RCP (between v. 2.1 and v. 3.0 as far as I can tell).

For this I want to analyze the code of what was restructured, before and after the restructuring.
And I would need your help to better understand what code I need t study:

First, I need a _before_ restructuring version (or date) and an _after_ restructuring version (or date).
From what I could gather, it seems it started around April 2003 (version 2.1) and ended with version 3.0 (July 2004). But it could have ended sooner than that...

** Anybody can confirm/infirm theses dates? **

Next, I need to understand the core packages that are involved.
From what I could gather, it would be:

- Runtime [with OSGi in 3.0, without it in 2.1]
org.eclipse.core.runtime
org.eclipse.osgi
org.eclipse.osgi.services
- SWT
org.eclipse.swt
- JFace
org.eclipse.jface
- UI / workbench [Apparently most of the restructuring happened here]
org.eclipse.ui
org.eclipse.ui.workbench
org.eclipse.ui.ide
- Resources [was made optional for core RCP as part of the restructuring]
org.eclipse.core.resources

Help (e.g. org.eclipse.help.*), Update (org.eclipse.update.*), Text (e.g. org.eclipse.text) and other could also be concerned, but I have to draw a limit and I am trying to restricted to what was considered "core RCP" (from a presentation at EclipseConf 2004).

** Anybody can confirm/infirm these packages for after the restructuring? **
Or should I really include some more?

** And what are the packages for before the restructuring? **
The same? Some more? Some less?

Again people, the idea is I what to study the changes in structure resulting from the creation of Eclipse as a Rich Client Platform.

Incidentally, if someone could suggest other projects that where restructured in the past, I would be very grateful.
The ideal project would:
- has been restructured !!! Smile
- the restructuring was "well delimited in time" so that I can identify a before version/date and an after version/date.
And also so that the effects of restructuring don't get too much mixed up with other evolutions (bug correction, feature addition, ...)
- source code before and after restructuring is available
- ideally it would be in Java. I am working with CDT to be able to analyze C/C++ code, but I am not there yet.

Well that's it people

thank you in advance

nicolas
Re: Studying past Eclipse platform restructuring (from 2.1 to v. 3.0) [message #553658 is a reply to message #553657] Wed, 18 August 2010 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
By the way, you can contact me directly at anquetil.nicolas@gmail.com if you wish

thanks again

nicolas
Re: Studying past Eclipse platform restructuring (from 2.1 to v. 3.0) [message #553723 is a reply to message #553657] Wed, 18 August 2010 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Arthorne is currently offline John ArthorneFriend
If you go to the following page:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Rich_Client_Platform

At the very bottom in the "Original Design Documents" section you can find quite a lot of information on the refactoring. In particular the "executive summary" gives a pretty detailed breakdown of the plugins and packages involved in the RCP/IDE split that occurred.

John
icon3.gif  Re: Studying past Eclipse platform restructuring [message #554156 is a reply to message #553723] Fri, 20 August 2010 10:53 Go to previous message
Grand!

Sorry it took time to answer. I immediately went head first in the documents and forgot my manners.

From one documents, it seems that org.eclipse.ui went through another restructuring just prior the 2.1-to-3.0 one :

"Prior to 2.1, the org.eclipse.ui plug-in was the monolithic implementation of the Eclipse Platform UI. The above picture reflects the restructuring that done for 2.1 which introduced several new plug-ins [...]"

Does any body have more details about this other one?
I would be interested in studying it as well...

nicolas
Previous Topic:get back preference page
Next Topic:Re: Where can I access my installed SDK examples
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:12:00 GMT 2024