Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » How to define "dynamic" target definitions?
How to define "dynamic" target definitions? [message #553208] Mon, 16 August 2010 16:50 Go to next message
Kaloyan Raev is currently offline Kaloyan RaevFriend
Hi,

I am building an OSGi dev environment where the Target Platform is a set of Eclipse Runtime bundles.

I'd like to make the installation of the Target Platform as easy as possible for users. Sure, my choice is to install it from a p2 repository. I even go one step further and register my p2 repository as a Target Definition Template (using the org.eclipse.pde.core.targets extension point). This way my users don't need to remember the URL of the p2 repository, but just select the template from the drop-down list.

All works fine, but I noticed that the target definition file, that I registered as a template, has references to a fixed set of installable units. By "fixed" I mean that the definition references an *exact* name and *exact* version.

This is problem for me, because the p2 repository resides on a build server and is updated every night. This nightly update also increments the qualifier of the version. It is also possible that a feature name changes or a features is added/deleted. This means that on the next day the target definition, that I registered as a template, will be broken.

Now, my question. Is it possible to define the target definition in a way that it means: "Go to this p2 repository and take everything you find" ?

Thanks,
Kaloyan
Re: How to define "dynamic" target definitions? [message #553222 is a reply to message #553208] Mon, 16 August 2010 17:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Curtis Windatt is currently offline Curtis WindattFriend
This is not currently possible.

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=273159
Bug 273159 I think describes your problem. We believe it is possible to have flexible contents (a version range perhaps), but it would require new core and UI code that is not currently being looked at.

We also would like to be able to have the targets update themselves as new bundles become available in the repos.
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=273159
Re: How to define "dynamic" target definitions? [message #553235 is a reply to message #553222] Mon, 16 August 2010 18:02 Go to previous message
Kaloyan Raev is currently offline Kaloyan RaevFriend
Thank you for the answer, Curtis!
I will address my needs in these bugs.

I guess for the second bug you meant this one:
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=182373
Previous Topic:Export-Package
Next Topic:How to define "dynamic" target definitions?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 21:07:29 GMT 2024