Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » Happy about coding again
Happy about coding again [message #551566] Sat, 07 August 2010 08:27
Kristian Wiborg is currently offline Kristian WiborgFriend
This week I have switched from NetBeans for PHP to Eclipse PDT, and I'm really glad I did! I really like NetBeans, but it doesn't play nice with the setup we use at work. We edit files directly on a remote server, and quite often the server is a bit slow and the connection to the server is also slowed down by a firewall. I really can't recommended using NetBeans to edit files on a network share Smile The constant lag I experienced in NetBeans was very frustrating, and I also found that basic editing features in NetBeans quite often did not work like they should. It is ok with a few glitches a day, but it gets frustrating when you have tried to invoke a code template for the 50th time... and it is not getting invoked half the times and when it does the indentation is wrong. After a while you stop focusing on the task at hand and instead turn your focus on the editor.

After I have switched to Eclipse PDT things are running a lot smoother. Eclipse is really responsive and things are working flawlessly 99.8% of the time. The transition from NetBeans to Eclipse hasn't been hard, but there are few things about Eclipse that I find a bit confusing and maybe better implemented in NetBeans. For example I don't quite understand the bookmarks and the navigation between bookmarks/annotations. Is it possible to set up keybord shotcuts for bookmarks only, and use a different set of keyboard shortcuts for navigating between previous/next occurences (e.g. variables)? Anyway this is not super important and I still need havn't read the Eclipse manual Smile The main thing for me is that the editor is not getting in the way and that the basic editing features such as code-completion and code templates work without hiccups. So all I can say is thank you!
Previous Topic:using libcurl code in eclipse
Next Topic:Error (but it let me throw the script) on using $variable::method
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 03:55:40 GMT 2024