Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » Auto Creating JDBC Driver Connections in BIRT
Auto Creating JDBC Driver Connections in BIRT [message #550290] Thu, 29 July 2010 19:03 Go to next message
Jane Thalen is currently offline Jane ThalenFriend
I'm building an Eclipse RCP app that bundles the BIRT Plug-ins and some sample BIRT reports based on the Ingres database.

I'd like to auto-configure the user's BIRT config so that it points to the Ingres JDBC driver on the user's file system.

Ideally I'd like to reuse a DTP Connection Profile already set up but it looks like that's not possible to do.

Can you please explain how to auto configure the JDBC driver connection profile in BIRT. Then please explain how I can set up my sample reports to use it. I'll be doing this in an Eclipse plugin in Java.

Thanks much in advance! Smile
Re: Auto Creating JDBC Driver Connections in BIRT [message #550322 is a reply to message #550290] Thu, 29 July 2010 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Linda ChanFriend
>> Ideally I'd like to reuse a DTP Connection Profile already set up but it looks like that's not possible to do.

What sort of problem did you encounter?
Which data source and data set type are you using?

To create a connection profile in BIRT, you can first design a data source with the appropriate connection properties, then use its context menu option to "Externalize to Connection Profile...".

Linda
Re: Auto Creating JDBC Driver Connections in BIRT [message #550341 is a reply to message #550322] Fri, 30 July 2010 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Linda, I'm looking to programmatically create the connection profile in java via my plug-in. Is this possible?
Thanks.
Re: Auto Creating JDBC Driver Connections in BIRT [message #550349 is a reply to message #550341] Fri, 30 July 2010 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Linda ChanFriend
It is possible. The ODA framework provides API method to create a transient connection profile.
Take a look at the method: OdaProfileExplorer#createTransientProfile( String, Properties ) in the org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda.profile bundle.
Or you can use the DTP connectivity framework directly to create a persistent profile. E.g.
org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.ProfileManager#createProf ile

Based on your original description, it is not clear that you need to take this approach though. With the API approach, you have to manage the connectivity and life cycle of a connection profile instance.
If the goal is simply to customize the path of the JDBC driver jar file for individual user's environment, perhaps you can use the PropertyBinding feature of BIRT data source design. There you can specify the use of a variable, as part of a property value.
Re: Auto Creating JDBC Driver Connections in BIRT [message #550487 is a reply to message #550349] Fri, 30 July 2010 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Linda,

Thanks again for your reply!

Yes my goal is to simply customize the path of the JDBC driver jar file for individual user's environment.

I would like to use the PropertyBinding feature of BIRT data source design. Can you tell me how to use this programmatically? I've searched online to no avail.

Thanks again.
Re: Auto Creating JDBC Driver Connections in BIRT [message #551511 is a reply to message #550487] Fri, 06 August 2010 18:21 Go to previous message
Linda ChanFriend
Got below info from Jason W.:
---------------

Here is an example video.
http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/examples/reports/birt2.1 /querymod/index.php

Its a little old but should still work.

Jason
Previous Topic:Page Break fails with bulky data
Next Topic:Links issue
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 18:38:27 GMT 2024