Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Equinox » Authentication when using command-line update manager?
Authentication when using command-line update manager? [message #55271] Thu, 22 December 2005 17:30 Go to next message
ted stockwell is currently offline ted stockwellFriend
Hi All,

The Eclipse documentation states that the default Eclipse site implementation provides support for http access with basic user
authentication (userid and password).
I want to update an Eclipse-based application that I wrote (a web application based on Eclipse) by using the command-line
Eclipse update manager.

Is it possible to use the command-line update manager if the update site is configured to use http authentication?

TIA,
ted stockwell
Re: Authentication when using command-line update manager? [message #55539 is a reply to message #55271] Fri, 30 December 2005 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin Schikowski is currently offline Martin SchikowskiFriend
hello ted,

I use the httpservice from simon kaegi within tomcat. I have already tried to update servlets bundled as plugins, but I didn't succeeded.

What can I understand under the command-line Eclipse update manager? Is this another one beside the OSGi command-line?

Do I have to prepare a update site to update my servlet-bundles? But how can I connect to Equinox? Outside the Server context I can just connect to a port opened by equinox.

Can you please tell me your approach, updating your web application?

thank you
martin
Re: Authentication when using command-line update manager? [message #55625 is a reply to message #55271] Tue, 03 January 2006 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: simon.kaegi.cognos.com

Hi Ted,

AFAIK the command-line update tool does not directly support any form of
HTTP authentication. It might be reasonable to contribute authentication
support.

(Hmm... you might first try something like
http://username:password@yoursite/updates but I seem to recall that
java.net.URL does not provide support for this.)

I'm quite interested in what you're trying to do.
Could you describe the scenario a bit. If I'm understanding things
correctly updating with the command-line tool would require you to restart
your webapp for the change to take hold. I suspect that's not what you
want.

Perhaps what's required is an Update Manager specialized for the servlet
environment.

-Simon
Re: Authentication when using command-line update manager? [message #55651 is a reply to message #55625] Wed, 04 January 2006 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Simon,

Simon Kaegi wrote:
>
> It might be reasonable to contribute authentication
> support.
>

I might just do that :-)...

>
>
> I'm quite interested in what you're trying to do. Could you describe the
> scenario a bit. If I'm understanding things correctly updating with the
> command-line tool would require you to restart your webapp for the
> change to take hold. I suspect that's not what you want.
>

A restart would be acceptable. I currently package web apps in plugins and use the Eclipse Help WebApp mechanism to run the
applications.
I suppose I could port my stuff to the OSGi HTTP Service in order to make it respond to bundle updates so that a restart is not
needed.

----------------------------

I work for a company that sells an ERP system for small companies that is build on top of Eclipse.
The entire system is composed of features and plugins.

Currently we update clients 'by hand' by logging onto thier system, downloading a jar file with new features and plugins, and
then extracting the new features and plugins into the system installation folder.
Naturally I want to stop doing this ;-).

As a next step I would like to set up an update site running on our server that can provide updates for our clients.
An installation could then be simply updated via the Update Manager command-line utility.
However, access to the update site should require authentication, hence my question...

------------------------

An even better approach would be to have a script that could run automatically every night on the client system that would
update the installation. However such a script would have to be configured somehow with the username and password for the
update server.
I don't want to have that username and password lying about in a configuration file or anything - so I'm not sure what the best
way is to achieve this automatic kind of update. Any suggestions would be welcome...
Re: Authentication when using command-line update manager? [message #55678 is a reply to message #55539] Wed, 04 January 2006 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin Schikowski wrote:
> hello ted,
>
> I use the httpservice from simon kaegi within tomcat. I have already tried to update servlets bundled as plugins, but I didn't succeeded.
>
> What can I understand under the command-line Eclipse update manager? Is this another one beside the OSGi command-line?
>

See http://help.eclipse.org/help31/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse. platform.doc.isv/reference/misc/update_standalone.html

Further investigation revealed that the command-line update manager is probably just a thin wrapper around the API in the
org.eclipse.update.standalone package. So I think I'll be looking further into the update API to create my own update utility
on top of the Eclipse Update facility.

>
> Do I have to prepare a update site to update my servlet-bundles? But how can I connect to Equinox? Outside the Server context I can just connect to a port opened by equinox.
>

Hmm, not sure what you're saying here but I think I understand your confusion... you are thinking that somehow updates are
'pushed' to the equinox server through the port that equinox opens. In fact it is reverse, updates are 'pulled' by the server
from an update site.
The Eclipse Update Facility runs inside the equinox server and is the component that pulls down updates and applies them.

>
> Can you please tell me your approach, updating your web application?
>

See my other response to Simon for details about how I hope to perform updates.
Re: Authentication when using command-line update manager? [message #56114 is a reply to message #55651] Mon, 09 January 2006 02:37 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: ihor42.yahoo.com

Hi Ted,

If the update server can't push the updates to equinox, I think it's possible to simulate the push with remotely controlled pull updates. The update server could send the "update" signal to interested parties (along with the authentication token) so they can start pulling the updates from the server.

HTH,
Ihor
Previous Topic:Equinox OSGi on a servlet. Console does not shutdown.
Next Topic:Recommended Eclipse version for writing Equinox bundles?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 09:43:30 GMT 2024