Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Equinox » Request Rules Governing Whether Artifacts (Plug-ins) Are Unpacked or Unzipped in Target Platform(A Request For Information )
Request Rules Governing Whether Artifacts (Plug-ins) Are Unpacked or Unzipped in Target Platform [message #546088] Sat, 10 July 2010 21:09 Go to next message
David Lynch is currently offline David LynchFriend
Friends, can someone explain to me or point me to resources that explain the rules that govern whether the P2 installer will unpack (unzip or inflate) plug-ins in the target environment?

At first glance, this would seem to be indirectly controlled by the feature.xml document (I'm assuming the unpack attribute somehow gets transcribed into content.xml).

I have a case where I have two features (i.e., two feature.xml files). There are about 50 plug-ins defined, but only two are flagged to unpack (i.e., the unpack attribute is missing). The features share some plug-ins in common.

I use these features (and their related plug-ins) as inputs to org.eclipse.equinox.p2.publisher.FeaturesAndBundlesPublisher , which creates my artifacts.jar and contents.jar.

However, when use function "Install New Software..." and point the virgin Eclipse (Galileo) platform to a Local Update Site that contains my features, plugins, artifacts.jar and contents.jar (plus my site.xml), the installer seems to unpack all of my plug-ins, irrespective of the unpack attributes in the antecedent feature.xml files.

When I look at the eclipse/plugin directory after the install, there are a bunch of folders (I was hoping to see JARs in there).

I was unable to find a document that defines the format of content.xml, which I'm assuming indirectly controls unpacking. I'm guessing that these elements are relevant:

<instruction key='zipped'>
true
</instruction>

Thanks in advance for your assistance, I'm really stuck here. I even tried to debug the installation process, but that turned out to be a little more complex than I had imagined.

Re: Request Rules Governing Whether Artifacts (Plug-ins) Are Unpacked or Unzipped in Target Platform [message #1457667 is a reply to message #546088] Fri, 31 October 2014 15:21 Go to previous message
Tobias Oberlies is currently offline Tobias OberliesFriend
The default value of the unpack attribute is "true", so for the bundles you don't want to have unpacked, you need to have unpack="false".
Previous Topic:Could not acquire the framework manipulator service
Next Topic:Trouble starting Equinox development in Luna
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 20:39:54 GMT 2024