Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Riena » Riena and Spring(Use Spring IOC in Riena)
Riena and Spring [message #540387] Wed, 16 June 2010 00:13 Go to next message
stuart donald is currently offline stuart donaldFriend
Hi

I am evaluating using Riena (looking at 1.2) as an alternative to out existing RCP project. We only want to use the UI components of Riena, where we want to make use of the Navigation, MVC, and binding etc. I can get a demo application up and running no problem, but what I am trying to figure out now is how we can use Spring IOC to instantiate the controllers. What is the best way to go about doing that? In our RCP app we use a library that implements IExecutableExtensionFactory ( http://martinlippert.blogspot.com/2008/05/dependency-injecti on-for-extensions.html) to allow the use of Spring IOC to create views. Reading the Riena docs it looks like I should be able to inject this extension into the framework somehow, but I cant figure it out. Does anybody have any ideas?

Cheers

Stu.

[Updated on: Wed, 16 June 2010 00:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Riena and Spring [message #540790 is a reply to message #540387] Thu, 17 June 2010 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Campo is currently offline Christian CampoFriend
Hi Stu,

Looking at the page from martin, I think that should be doable. I also highly recommend that you use Riena 2.0 but it
should work either way. We use the ExtensionRegistry to create the controller and the view. So instead of referencing
the client directly you could reference the controller through Spring using
org.eclipse.springframework.util.SpringExtensionFactory:myco ntroller

and in the RCP View you reference then org.eclipse.springframework.util.SpringExtensionFactory:myvi ew

Have you tried that before ? Seems such a straight forward approach that I suspect that you tried it and it didnt work.

Hope that helps. In any event I'd like to hear if that works or not

thanks
christian

Am 16.06.10 02:13, schrieb stuart.donald@ibboost.com:
> Hi
>
> I am evaluating using Riena (looking at 1.2) as an alternative to out
> existing RCP project. We only want to use the UI components of Riena,
> where we want to make use of the Navigation, MVC, and binding etc. I can
> get a demo application up and running no problem, but what I am trying
> to figure out now is how we can use Spring IOC to instantiate the
> controllers. What is the best way to go about doing that? In our RCP app
> we use a library that implements IExecutableExtensionFactory
> ( http://martinlippert.blogspot.com/2008/05/dependency-injecti on-for-extensions.html)
> to allow the use of Spring IOC to create views. Reading the Riena docs
> it looks like I should be able to inject this extension into the
> framework somehow, but I cant figure it out. Does anybody have any ideas?
>
> Cheers
>
> Stu.
Re: Riena and Spring [message #541470 is a reply to message #540790] Mon, 21 June 2010 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Christian

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I hadn't checked the "Post Notification" box, and so missed your reply.

Yeah I tried that. So I created a bean in Spring called mycontroller of the appropriate type, and then in the plugin.xml I added:

<submodule
controller=" org.eclipse.springframework.util.SpringExtensionFactory:myco ntroller "

After doing that I get this exception when loading the view. Its trying to create the class org.eclipse.springframework.util.SpringExtensionFactory, rather than resolve the bean. This technique worked fine in a plain RCP app, so I guess I need to do some extra work to get this to hook up properly in Riena, but cant quite figure it out..

java.lang.ClassCastException: org.eclipse.springframework.util.SpringExtensionFactory
at org.eclipse.riena.ui.workarea.WorkareaDefinition.createContr oller(WorkareaDefinition.java:54)
at org.eclipse.riena.navigation.ui.swt.views.SubModuleView.crea teController(SubModuleView.java:314)
at org.eclipse.riena.navigation.ui.swt.views.SubModuleView.crea tePartControl(SubModuleView.java:173)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ViewReference.createPartHelper(ViewR eference.java:367)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ViewReference.createPart(ViewReferen ce.java:226)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPartReference.getPart(Workb enchPartReference.java:595)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Perspective.showView(Perspective.jav a:2229)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyShowView(Workbench Page.java:1067)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage$20.run(WorkbenchPage.j ava:3816)
at org.eclipse.swt.custom.BusyIndicator.showWhile(BusyIndicator .java:70)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.showView(WorkbenchPage .java:3813)
at org.eclipse.riena.navigation.ui.swt.views.SubApplicationView $MySubModuleNodeListener.showView(SubApplicationView.java:60 4)
at org.eclipse.riena.navigation.ui.swt.views.SubApplicationView $MySubModuleNodeListener.showMultiView(SubApplicationView.ja va:589)
at org.eclipse.riena.navigation.ui.swt.views.SubApplicationView $MySubModuleNodeListener.activated(SubApplicationView.java:5 14)
at org.eclipse.riena.navigation.ui.swt.views.SubApplicationView $MySubModuleNodeListener.activated(SubApplicationView.java:1 )
at org.eclipse.riena.navigation.listener.NavigationTreeObserver $MySubModuleNodeListener.activated(NavigationTreeObserver.ja va:1228)
at org.eclipse.riena.navigation.listener.NavigationTreeObserver $MySubModuleNodeListener.activated(NavigationTreeObserver.ja va:1)
at org.eclipse.riena.navigation.model.NavigationNode.notifyActi vated(NavigationNode.java:176)
at org.eclipse.riena.navigation.model.NavigationNode.activate(N avigationNode.java:780)
at org.eclipse.riena.navigation.model.NavigationProcessor.activ ate(NavigationProcessor.java:679)
at org.eclipse.riena.navigation.model.NavigationProcessor.activ ate(NavigationProcessor.java:107)
at org.eclipse.riena.navigation.model.NavigationNode.activate(N avigationNode.java:378)
at org.eclipse.riena.navigation.ui.swt.views.ApplicationViewAdv isor.doInitialBinding(ApplicationViewAdvisor.java:262)
at org.eclipse.riena.navigation.ui.swt.views.ApplicationViewAdv isor.postWindowOpen(ApplicationViewAdvisor.java:183)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchWindow.fireWindowOpened(Wor kbenchWindow.java:1322)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchWindow.open(WorkbenchWindow .java:788)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$22.runWithException(Workbe nch.java:1059)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.StartupThreading$StartupRunnable.run (StartupThreading.java:31)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.RunnableLock.run(RunnableLock.java:3 5)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.runAsyncMessages(Synchr onizer.java:134)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runAsyncMessages(Display.jav a:3855)

[Updated on: Mon, 21 June 2010 09:53]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Riena and Spring [message #541492 is a reply to message #540790] Mon, 21 June 2010 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Right, I have figured out how to make it work, this doesn't seem like the most elegant solution but it works..

In your spring context file you need to declare both the view and controller beans, and inject the controller into the view:

<beans:bean id="myview" class="org.ibboost.demo.tutorial.springintegration.views.T1_ErrorhandlingView">
		<beans:property name="controller" ref="mycontroller"/>
	</beans:bean>
	<beans:bean id="mycontroller" class="org.ibboost.demo.tutorial.springintegration.controllers.T1_ErrorHandlingController"></beans:bean>

For this to work you will need to modify your view so that the controller can be injected, so add something like this:

private T1_ErrorHandlingController controller;

public void setController(T1_ErrorHandlingController controller) {
		this.controller = controller;
	}

public T1_ErrorHandlingController getController() {
		return controller;
	}

@Override
	protected T1_ErrorHandlingController createController(ISubModuleNode subModuleNode) {
		controller.setNavigationNode(subModuleNode);
		return controller;
	}

Then in your plugin.xml you define the view like this:
      <view
            allowMultiple="true"
            class="org.eclipse.springframework.util.SpringExtensionFactory:myview"
            id="org.ibboost.demo.tutorial.springintegration.views.T1_ErrorhandlingView"
            name="T1">
      </view>

And the submodule will look something like this, note that the controller does not need to be specified:
                  <submodule
                        label="T1 - Error Handling"
                        name="Tutorial.SI.Application.TutorialsModule.T1"
                        selectable="true"
                        shared="false"
                        typeId="Tutorial.SI.Application.TutorialsModule.T1"
                        view="org.ibboost.demo.tutorial.springintegration.views.T1_ErrorhandlingView">
                  </submodule>

This works fine, but my ideal solution would be to be able to only declare the Controller in Spring, as I shouldn't have a need to specify any dependencies other than the controller for the view, so ideally I would like to be able to do this, and leave the view initialization alone:
                  <submodule
                        controller="org.eclipse.springframework.util.SpringExtensionFactory:mycontroller"
                        selectable="true"
                        shared="false"
                        view="org.ibboost.demo.tutorial.springintegration.views.T1_ErrorhandlingView">
                  </submodule>
Re: Riena and Spring [message #541494 is a reply to message #541470] Mon, 21 June 2010 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan Liebig is currently offline Stefan LiebigFriend
Hi Stuart,

Oh, ouch!
Yes, there is weakness here. I think what happens is that we do not
create the class with createExecutableExtension() instead we pick up the
class name and create the class from the class name.
Can you please open a bug report for this?

Tschüß,
Stefan

On 21.06.2010 11:52, Stu wrote:
> Hi Christian
>
> Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I hadn't checked the "Post
> Notification" box.
> Yeah I tried that. So I created a bean called mycontroller of the
> appropriate type, and then in the plugin.xml I added:
>
> <submodule
> controller="
> org.eclipse.springframework.util.SpringExtensionFactory:myco ntroller "
>
> After doing that I get this exception when loading the view. Its trying
> to create the class
> org.eclipse.springframework.util.SpringExtensionFactory, rather than
> resolve the bean. This technique worked fine in a plain RCP app, so I
> guess I need to do some extra work to get this to hook up properly in
> Riena, but cant quite figure it out..
>
> java.lang.ClassCastException:
> org.eclipse.springframework.util.SpringExtensionFactory
> at org.eclipse.riena.ui.workarea.WorkareaDefinition.createContr
> oller(WorkareaDefinition.java:54)
> at org.eclipse.riena.navigation.ui.swt.views.SubModuleView.crea
> teController(SubModuleView.java:314)
> tePartControl(SubModuleView.java:173)
> at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ViewReference.createPartHelper(ViewR
> eference.java:367)
> at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ViewReference.createPart(ViewReferen
> ce.java:226)
> at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPartReference.getPart(Workb
> enchPartReference.java:595)
> at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Perspective.showView(Perspective.jav a:2229)
> at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyShowView(Workbench
> Page.java:1067)
> at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage$20.run(WorkbenchPage.j ava:3816)
> at org.eclipse.swt.custom.BusyIndicator.showWhile(BusyIndicator .java:70)
> at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.showView(WorkbenchPage .java:3813)
> at org.eclipse.riena.navigation.ui.swt.views.SubApplicationView
> $MySubModuleNodeListener.showView(SubApplicationView.java:60 4)
> $MySubModuleNodeListener.showMultiView(SubApplicationView.ja va:589)
> $MySubModuleNodeListener.activated(SubApplicationView.java:5 14)
> $MySubModuleNodeListener.activated(SubApplicationView.java:1 )
> at org.eclipse.riena.navigation.listener.NavigationTreeObserver
> $MySubModuleNodeListener.activated(NavigationTreeObserver.ja va:1228)
> $MySubModuleNodeListener.activated(NavigationTreeObserver.ja va:1)
> at org.eclipse.riena.navigation.model.NavigationNode.notifyActi
> vated(NavigationNode.java:176)
> at org.eclipse.riena.navigation.model.NavigationNode.activate(N
> avigationNode.java:780)
> at org.eclipse.riena.navigation.model.NavigationProcessor.activ
> ate(NavigationProcessor.java:679)
> ate(NavigationProcessor.java:107)
> avigationNode.java:378)
> at org.eclipse.riena.navigation.ui.swt.views.ApplicationViewAdv
> isor.doInitialBinding(ApplicationViewAdvisor.java:262)
> isor.postWindowOpen(ApplicationViewAdvisor.java:183)
> at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchWindow.fireWindowOpened(Wor
> kbenchWindow.java:1322)
> at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchWindow.open(WorkbenchWindow .java:788)
> at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$22.runWithException(Workbe
> nch.java:1059)
> at org.eclipse.ui.internal.StartupThreading$StartupRunnable.run
> (StartupThreading.java:31)
> at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.RunnableLock.run(RunnableLock.java:3 5)
> at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.runAsyncMessages(Synchr
> onizer.java:134)
> at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runAsyncMessages(Display.jav a:3855)
Re: Riena and Spring [message #542958 is a reply to message #540387] Mon, 28 June 2010 00:31 Go to previous message
For anybody interested this has been logged here:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=317540
Re: Riena and Spring [message #585911 is a reply to message #540790] Mon, 21 June 2010 09:52 Go to previous message
Hi Christian

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I hadn't checked the "Post Notification" box.

Yeah I tried that. So I created a bean called mycontroller of the appropriate type, and then in the plugin.xml I added:

<submodule
controller=" org.eclipse.springframework.util.SpringExtensionFactory:myco ntroller "

After doing that I get this exception when loading the view. Its trying to create the class org.eclipse.springframework.util.SpringExtensionFactory, rather than resolve the bean. This technique worked fine in a plain RCP app, so I guess I need to do some extra work to get this to hook up properly in Riena, but cant quite figure it out..

java.lang.ClassCastException: org.eclipse.springframework.util.SpringExtensionFactory
at org.eclipse.riena.ui.workarea.WorkareaDefinition.createContr oller(WorkareaDefinition.java:54)
at org.eclipse.riena.navigation.ui.swt.views.SubModuleView.crea teController(SubModuleView.java:314)
at org.eclipse.riena.navigation.ui.swt.views.SubModuleView.crea tePartControl(SubModuleView.java:173)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ViewReference.createPartHelper(ViewR eference.java:367)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ViewReference.createPart(ViewReferen ce.java:226)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPartReference.getPart(Workb enchPartReference.java:595)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Perspective.showView(Perspective.jav a:2229)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyShowView(Workbench Page.java:1067)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage$20.run(WorkbenchPage.j ava:3816)
at org.eclipse.swt.custom.BusyIndicator.showWhile(BusyIndicator .java:70)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.showView(WorkbenchPage .java:3813)
at org.eclipse.riena.navigation.ui.swt.views.SubApplicationView $MySubModuleNodeListener.showView(SubApplicationView.java:60 4)
at org.eclipse.riena.navigation.ui.swt.views.SubApplicationView $MySubModuleNodeListener.showMultiView(SubApplicationView.ja va:589)
at org.eclipse.riena.navigation.ui.swt.views.SubApplicationView $MySubModuleNodeListener.activated(SubApplicationView.java:5 14)
at org.eclipse.riena.navigation.ui.swt.views.SubApplicationView $MySubModuleNodeListener.activated(SubApplicationView.java:1 )
at org.eclipse.riena.navigation.listener.NavigationTreeObserver $MySubModuleNodeListener.activated(NavigationTreeObserver.ja va:1228)
at org.eclipse.riena.navigation.listener.NavigationTreeObserver $MySubModuleNodeListener.activated(NavigationTreeObserver.ja va:1)
at org.eclipse.riena.navigation.model.NavigationNode.notifyActi vated(NavigationNode.java:176)
at org.eclipse.riena.navigation.model.NavigationNode.activate(N avigationNode.java:780)
at org.eclipse.riena.navigation.model.NavigationProcessor.activ ate(NavigationProcessor.java:679)
at org.eclipse.riena.navigation.model.NavigationProcessor.activ ate(NavigationProcessor.java:107)
at org.eclipse.riena.navigation.model.NavigationNode.activate(N avigationNode.java:378)
at org.eclipse.riena.navigation.ui.swt.views.ApplicationViewAdv isor.doInitialBinding(ApplicationViewAdvisor.java:262)
at org.eclipse.riena.navigation.ui.swt.views.ApplicationViewAdv isor.postWindowOpen(ApplicationViewAdvisor.java:183)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchWindow.fireWindowOpened(Wor kbenchWindow.java:1322)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchWindow.open(WorkbenchWindow .java:788)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$22.runWithException(Workbe nch.java:1059)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.StartupThreading$StartupRunnable.run (StartupThreading.java:31)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.RunnableLock.run(RunnableLock.java:3 5)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.runAsyncMessages(Synchr onizer.java:134)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runAsyncMessages(Display.jav a:3855)
Re: Riena and Spring [message #585923 is a reply to message #540790] Mon, 21 June 2010 11:11 Go to previous message
Right, I have figured out how to make it work, this doesn't seem like the most elegant solution but it works..

In your spring context file you need to declare both the view and controller beans, and inject the controller into the view:

<beans:bean id="myview" class=" org.ibboost.demo.tutorial.springintegration.views.T1_Errorha ndlingView ">
<beans:property name="controller" ref="mycontroller"/>
</beans:bean>
<beans:bean id="mycontroller" class=" org.ibboost.demo.tutorial.springintegration.controllers.T1_E rrorHandlingController "></beans:bean>

For this to work you will need to modify your view so that the controller can be injected, so add something like this:

private T1_ErrorHandlingController controller;

public void setController(T1_ErrorHandlingController controller) {
this.controller = controller;
}

public T1_ErrorHandlingController getController() {
return controller;
}

@Override
protected T1_ErrorHandlingController createController(ISubModuleNode subModuleNode) {
controller.setNavigationNode(subModuleNode);
return controller;
}

Then in your plugin.xml you define the view like this:

<view
allowMultiple="true"
class=" org.eclipse.springframework.util.SpringExtensionFactory:myvi ew "
id=" org.ibboost.demo.tutorial.springintegration.views.T1_Errorha ndlingView "
name="T1">
</view>

And the submodule will look something like this, note that the controller does not need to be specified:

<submodule
selectable="true"
shared="false"
view=" org.ibboost.demo.tutorial.springintegration.views.T1_Errorha ndlingView ">
</submodule>

This works fine, but my ideal solution would be to be able to only declare the Controller in Spring, as I shouldn't have a need to specify any dependencies other than the controller for the view, so ideally I would like to be able to do this, and leave the view initialization alone:

<submodule
selectable="true"
shared="false"
view=" org.ibboost.demo.tutorial.springintegration.views.T1_Errorha ndlingView ">
</submodule>
Re: Riena and Spring [message #585937 is a reply to message #541470] Mon, 21 June 2010 11:17 Go to previous message
Stefan Liebig is currently offline Stefan LiebigFriend
Hi Stuart,

Oh, ouch!
Yes, there is weakness here. I think what happens is that we do not
create the class with createExecutableExtension() instead we pick up the
class name and create the class from the class name.
Can you please open a bug report for this?

Tschüß,
Stefan

On 21.06.2010 11:52, Stu wrote:
> Hi Christian
>
> Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I hadn't checked the "Post
> Notification" box.
> Yeah I tried that. So I created a bean called mycontroller of the
> appropriate type, and then in the plugin.xml I added:
>
> <submodule
> controller="
> org.eclipse.springframework.util.SpringExtensionFactory:myco ntroller "
>
> After doing that I get this exception when loading the view. Its trying
> to create the class
> org.eclipse.springframework.util.SpringExtensionFactory, rather than
> resolve the bean. This technique worked fine in a plain RCP app, so I
> guess I need to do some extra work to get this to hook up properly in
> Riena, but cant quite figure it out..
>
> java.lang.ClassCastException:
> org.eclipse.springframework.util.SpringExtensionFactory
> at org.eclipse.riena.ui.workarea.WorkareaDefinition.createContr
> oller(WorkareaDefinition.java:54)
> teController(SubModuleView.java:314)
> tePartControl(SubModuleView.java:173)
> at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ViewReference.createPartHelper(ViewR
> eference.java:367)
> at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ViewReference.createPart(ViewReferen
> ce.java:226)
> at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPartReference.getPart(Workb
> enchPartReference.java:595)
> at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Perspective.showView(Perspective.jav a:2229)
> at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyShowView(Workbench
> Page.java:1067)
> at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage$20.run(WorkbenchPage.j ava:3816)
> at org.eclipse.swt.custom.BusyIndicator.showWhile(BusyIndicator .java:70)
> at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.showView(WorkbenchPage .java:3813)
> $MySubModuleNodeListener.showView(SubApplicationView.java:60 4)
> $MySubModuleNodeListener.showMultiView(SubApplicationView.ja va:589)
> $MySubModuleNodeListener.activated(SubApplicationView.java:5 14)
> $MySubModuleNodeListener.activated(SubApplicationView.java:1 )
> $MySubModuleNodeListener.activated(NavigationTreeObserver.ja va:1228)
> $MySubModuleNodeListener.activated(NavigationTreeObserver.ja va:1)
> at org.eclipse.riena.navigation.model.NavigationNode.notifyActi
> vated(NavigationNode.java:176)
> avigationNode.java:780)
> ate(NavigationProcessor.java:679)
> ate(NavigationProcessor.java:107)
> avigationNode.java:378)
> isor.doInitialBinding(ApplicationViewAdvisor.java:262)
> isor.postWindowOpen(ApplicationViewAdvisor.java:183)
> at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchWindow.fireWindowOpened(Wor
> kbenchWindow.java:1322)
> at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchWindow.open(WorkbenchWindow .java:788)
> at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$22.runWithException(Workbe
> nch.java:1059)
> at org.eclipse.ui.internal.StartupThreading$StartupRunnable.run
> (StartupThreading.java:31)
> at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.RunnableLock.run(RunnableLock.java:3 5)
> at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.runAsyncMessages(Synchr
> onizer.java:134)
> at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runAsyncMessages(Display.jav a:3855)
Previous Topic:[MacOSX/Cocoa] Ridget<->Widget binding not working when inside splash screen
Next Topic:Riena and Spring
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 23:32:24 GMT 2024