Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » PDE/API Tools: compare with API baseline(finding no changes)
icon5.gif  PDE/API Tools: compare with API baseline [message #532830] Tue, 11 May 2010 10:51 Go to next message
Tristan de Ines is currently offline Tristan de InesFriend
Hi,

I'm experimenting with the Eclipse API Tools and for that purpose I have created two plug-in projects in my workspace. The second is a variation of the "original" first project with Java binary compatibility problems introduced.

If I export the first project as deployable plug-in and set it as the default baseline, the projects are recompiled and the compatibility problems are reported correctly in the second project.

Unfortunately this is the only way I'm currently able to use API Tools. As far as I know you should also be able to compare a plug-in project with any baseline using the context-menu:
"Compare with -> API Baseline". If I try this comparing the second project with the first project baseline, I always get "No changes have been found" in the API Tooling view.

A third way of using API Tools are the ant-tasks. I exported both projects as deployable plug-ins and tried to compare them with the following ant-task:

<target name="run">
<apitooling.analysis
baseline="c:\TEMP\BCPluginOld"
profile="c:\TEMP\BCPluginNew"
report="c:\TEMP\report"
debug="true"
/>
</target>

This produces the following output on the console, but it doesn't generate a report. After execution there is no "report" directory in c:\TEMP:

run:
[apitooling.analysis] reference : c:\TEMP\BCPluginOld
[apitooling.analysis] baseline to compare : c:\TEMP\BCPluginNew
[apitooling.analysis] report location : c:\TEMP\report
[apitooling.analysis] No filter store
[apitooling.analysis] No exclude list location
[apitooling.analysis] Preparation of baseline installation : 2ms
[apitooling.analysis] Creation of both baselines : 45ms
[apitooling.analysis] Total number of components in current baseline :2
[apitooling.analysis] Total number of api tools components in current baseline :1
[apitooling.analysis] Details:
[apitooling.analysis] BCPlugin
[apitooling.analysis] ============================================================ ==================
[apitooling.analysis] Total number of non-api tools components in current baseline :0
[apitooling.analysis] Details:
[apitooling.analysis] API tools verification check : 115ms
[apitooling.analysis] Cleanup : 2ms
BUILD SUCCESSFUL

Some leads on what I'm doing wrong or how to effectively work with API Tools without taking the default baseline approach would be greatly appreciated.
Re: PDE/API Tools: compare with API baseline [message #534592 is a reply to message #532830] Wed, 19 May 2010 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olivier Thomann is currently offline Olivier ThomannFriend
This should work. If you could give me access to your configuration for the ant task, I should be able to let you know what is not working.

What is wrong with the default baseline approach ? "Compare With... API Baseline" should give you the same answer as doing a build with the default baseline set to the baseline you are comparing with.

I would need more details about your configuration to help you. Something seems wrong with your setup.

Olivier
Re: PDE/API Tools: compare with API baseline [message #534815 is a reply to message #534592] Thu, 20 May 2010 12:36 Go to previous message
Hi Olivier,

thanks for your reply. There is nothing wrong with the default baseline approach. It works, but I would also like to get the context-menu compare and ant-task compare to work.

Even if something is wrong with the ant configuration, it surprises me that the context-menu comparison doesn't work.

You can find my whole setup in the attachment workspace.zip I created for bug 312388 that you also commented on. The "build.xml" is located in:
"API_Test/src/build.xml"

This is the launch configuration for the build:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
<launchConfiguration type="org.eclipse.ant.AntLaunchConfigurationType">
<stringAttribute key="bad_container_name" value="\API_Test\build.launch"/>
<booleanAttribute key="org.eclipse.ant.ui.DEFAULT_VM_INSTALL" value="false"/>
<listAttribute key="org.eclipse.debug.core.MAPPED_RESOURCE_PATHS">
<listEntry value="/API_Test/src/build.xml"/>
</listAttribute>
<listAttribute key="org.eclipse.debug.core.MAPPED_RESOURCE_TYPES">
<listEntry value="1"/>
</listAttribute>
<stringAttribute key="org.eclipse.jdt.launching.CLASSPATH_PROVIDER" value="org.eclipse.ant.ui.AntClasspathProvider"/>
<stringAttribute key="org.eclipse.jdt.launching.PROJECT_ATTR" value="API_Test"/>
<stringAttribute key="org.eclipse.jdt.launching.SOURCE_PATH_PROVIDER" value="org.eclipse.ant.ui.AntClasspathProvider"/>
<stringAttribute key="org.eclipse.ui.externaltools.ATTR_LOCATION" value="${workspace_loc:/API_Test/src/build.xml}"/>
<stringAttribute key="process_factory_id" value="org.eclipse.ant.ui.remoteAntProcessFactory"/>
</launchConfiguration>

[Updated on: Thu, 20 May 2010 12:40]

Report message to a moderator

Re: PDE/API Tools: compare with API baseline [message #605829 is a reply to message #534592] Thu, 20 May 2010 12:36 Go to previous message
Hi Olivier,

thanks for your reply. There is nothing wrong with the default baseline approach. It works, but I would also like to get the context-menu compare and ant-task compare to work.

Even if something is wrong with the ant configuration, it surprises me that the context-menu comparison doesn't work.

You can find my whole setup in the attachment "workspace.zip" I created for bug 312388 that you also commented on. The "build.xml" is located in:
"API_Test/src/build.xml"

This is the launch configuration for the build:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
<launchConfiguration type="org.eclipse.ant.AntLaunchConfigurationType">
<stringAttribute key="bad_container_name" value="\API_Test\build.launch"/>
<booleanAttribute key="org.eclipse.ant.ui.DEFAULT_VM_INSTALL" value="false"/>
<listAttribute key="org.eclipse.debug.core.MAPPED_RESOURCE_PATHS">
<listEntry value="/API_Test/src/build.xml"/>
</listAttribute>
<listAttribute key="org.eclipse.debug.core.MAPPED_RESOURCE_TYPES">
<listEntry value="1"/>
</listAttribute>
<stringAttribute key="org.eclipse.jdt.launching.CLASSPATH_PROVIDER" value="org.eclipse.ant.ui.AntClasspathProvider"/>
<stringAttribute key="org.eclipse.jdt.launching.PROJECT_ATTR" value="API_Test"/>
<stringAttribute key="org.eclipse.jdt.launching.SOURCE_PATH_PROVIDER" value="org.eclipse.ant.ui.AntClasspathProvider"/>
<stringAttribute key="org.eclipse.ui.externaltools.ATTR_LOCATION" value="${workspace_loc:/API_Test/src/build.xml}"/>
<stringAttribute key="process_factory_id" value="org.eclipse.ant.ui.remoteAntProcessFactory"/>
</launchConfiguration>
Previous Topic:how to initialize CheckConditionsContext properly
Next Topic:Re: Eclipse 3.5, Can't Bundle JRE with Product Export
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 06:36:33 GMT 2024