Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » GMF (Graphical Modeling Framework) » Overview on how to use GMF for MDD
Overview on how to use GMF for MDD [message #522139] Sat, 20 March 2010 11:50 Go to next message
Federico Tomassetti is currently offline Federico TomassettiFriend

Hello,
I am evaluating GMF as a candidate to be used to realize a MDD solution.

I went through my first tutorial and I was able to realize the editor for my EMF metamodel. Good.

Now I would need some direction about componing GMF, XPand, Check and other tools coming from the former OAW.
I have previous experience with these tools (but not in GMF).

I would like to obtain an EMF model from the diagrams designed using the editor generator by GMF and use this model to perform trasformations (programmatically or using ATL) and then generate code using Xpand. Is this a common solution? I found an old tutorial named "MDSD In Practice" but it appears to be written before OAW was integrated in Eclipse Modeling so I suppose it is outdated.

Thank you,

Federico

Re: Overview on how to use GMF for MDD [message #522169 is a reply to message #522139] Sat, 20 March 2010 17:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fernando Herrera is currently offline Fernando HerreraFriend
Hi Federico. If i'm not wrong, the emf model of a gmf diagram is an instance of the Emf ecore model so it is a xmi (a xml variant file). I think you could use the emf metamodel (ecore file) itselt for transformations (I don't know about transformations at the moment, actually I plan to research about that). If you are considering GMF for your solution the best resource that I have find in the web, is this book: Eclipse modeling project: A domain specific language toolkit . This book covers GMF in a great detail, Model to model transformations, model to text transformations and so on, all under the eclipse platform. I'm reading it now in order to develop a case in the form of a n UML profile for a specific language in the business process domain. Maybe you want to know more about EMF first, so the book Eclipse modeling framework writed for ed merks can give you a great insghit in that direction.

Regards!
Re: Overview on how to use GMF for MDD [message #522171 is a reply to message #522169] Sat, 20 March 2010 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Thank you for your suggestion. I already have the book on EMF and I also read a portion of it Smile so I know the basics about EMF , my problem is to learn about GMF: how it is typically used, how much it is mature and flexible and what is possible accomplish using it. I am going to find "Eclipse modeling project: A domain specific language toolkit " as you suggest, it is not the first time that I heard good things about it, so probably it is time to have a look into its pages,

Federico

Re: Overview on how to use GMF for MDD [message #522174 is a reply to message #522171] Sat, 20 March 2010 18:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fernando Herrera is currently offline Fernando HerreraFriend
It's a good choice Federico. The book have a practical approach in the use of gmf. There are four examples explained in detail and each have some differents things or features of the framework. I'm finishing the chapter 4 and i have the plugins resolved if you want when I finish, I could sent them to you.

Re: Overview on how to use GMF for MDD [message #522175 is a reply to message #522174] Sat, 20 March 2010 18:57 Go to previous message

Thank you very much, if I face troubles doing them by myself I will ask them to you.

Previous Topic:gmf editor fails when working with xml without namespace
Next Topic:Display a magnifier dialog when pointing some area of the diagram
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 07:26:33 GMT 2024