Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Showing a subset of table columns questions
Showing a subset of table columns questions [message #517674] Mon, 01 March 2010 16:22
Catalin Gerea is currently offline Catalin GereaFriend

I have a table with n columns, where n<30. Obviously it is hard to display all the columns on the screen with readable information. So the solution is to group the columns and display only a subset of them.

I want to create a menu like this:
Columns
Column set 1
Column set 2
------------------
Manage Column Sets

When the user selects the manage menu option a dialog will open allowing the user to add/edit/remove/rename column sets.
When the user add a new column set then the menu will contain the newly added column set.

Questions:
1. As far as I know the menu contribution will have to be a class extending the CompoundContributionItem in order to be reevaluated each time the menu is created. Is this correct or I can just extend the ContributionItem class?
2. How can I make the existing column sets persistent(available when the application is restarted)? If a set a number code for each column how can I remember an array of integers in a preference store (a single integer can be stored ... but not an array of integers)? Is there any other mechanism already implemented or do I have to create my own persistence mechanism: e.g. serialize the column sets in a file on the disk?

Time is what you make of it.
Previous Topic:CCATS Numbers for Eclipse Platform
Next Topic:Mocking Workspace Objects
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 13:36:45 GMT 2024