Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Swordfish » How-to Docs on using ServiceMix components in SwordFish
How-to Docs on using ServiceMix components in SwordFish [message #516446] Tue, 23 February 2010 23:33 Go to next message
Sam Griffith is currently offline Sam GriffithFriend
Hello Team,

I just started looking at SwordFish yesterday after having looked at ServiceMix 3 last year. I know that SM3 is based on the old JBI stuff and SwordFish and SM4 are OSGi.

I was wondering what I would need to do to use some of the ServiceMix components in SwordFish? Is their anything I need to do special? Do I have to create some custom type of assembly or do I just include the appropriate jars in my project and the <bean> specs in the cxf-endpoint.xml file? When creating a process workflows that use many services is their some other file that I need to define that defines all those beans and their connectivity?

An example workflow might be a HTTP-Consumer pulling data from a web site, then feeding that to the XSLT component for some work, then to a Camel component to run a EIP setup, then finally to a HTTP Provider. All those are pretty much ServiceMix components. How do I go about deploying that to SwordFish and debugging it as well?

Also know that I'm just learning OSGi as well due to looking into your project, so maybe it's all apparent if I knew that already.

Thanks for your replies.

Sam
Re: How-to Docs on using ServiceMix components in SwordFish [message #518184 is a reply to message #516446] Wed, 03 March 2010 11:45 Go to previous message
Oliver Wolf is currently offline Oliver WolfFriend
Hi Sam,

Quote:

I was wondering what I would need to do to use some of the ServiceMix components in SwordFish? Is their anything I need to do special? Do I have to create some custom type of assembly or do I just include the appropriate jars in my project and the <bean> specs in the cxf-endpoint.xml file? When creating a process workflows that use many services is their some other file that I need to define that defines all those beans and their connectivity?

You basically have two options here:

1. Use the ServiceMix components as-is along with the JBI 1.0 backwards compatibility bundles from the ServiceMix project. Since Swordfish is purely SMX4-based and we try to keep JBI 1.0 legacy out as much as possible, we currently don't provide these as part of Swordfish, though.

2. Repackage the 'old' JBI components as OSGi bundles. For an example on how to do this, you could take a look at the org.apache.servicemix.http bundle in the Swordfish SVN repo.

Quote:

An example workflow might be a HTTP-Consumer pulling data from a web site, then feeding that to the XSLT component for some work, then to a Camel component to run a EIP setup, then finally to a HTTP Provider. All those are pretty much ServiceMix components. How do I go about deploying that to SwordFish and debugging it as well?

Well, now it gets a bit more complicated. .-)
The point here is that what you're describing is not exactly what Swordfish is currently designed for. That doesn't mean that it cannot be done, but, frankly, pure ServiceMix 4 (on Felix and the ServiceMix Kernel) might be a more obvious and more convenient choice in your case. The reason is that most things that you require are pretty much automated via Maven in ServiceMix.

The real value of the Swordfish Framework comes in when you need things like registry-based runtime service registry lookup, policy-based message processing and so on in combination with SOAP-based web services, so I fell that you won't gain much from it for your integration-oriented usage scenario.

Does that make sense to you?

Cheers,
Oliver
Previous Topic:Standalone Swordfish Version
Next Topic:How-to Docs on using ServiceMix components in SwordFish
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 09:52:41 GMT 2024