Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » DTP » should this be raised as a BUG? - problem with case sensitivity when trying to run stored procs
should this be raised as a BUG? - problem with case sensitivity when trying to run stored procs [message #515427] Thu, 18 February 2010 18:15 Go to next message
Thomas.K.Hill is currently offline Thomas.K.HillFriend
Hi,

navigating to a stored procedure called APPL.SP_test, right clicking on the entry and selecting 'run' from the context menu brings up the configuration parameter page allowing me to enter parameter values (so far so good), but when clicking on 'OK' to finally execute the procedure I am receiving an error that APPL.SP_TEST is not recognised as a function or procedure.

Is it not possible to use lower case in procedure name?

Can I somehow configure DTP so that when building the call the procedure name is surrounded by " (CALL APPL."SP_test" instead of CALL APPL.SP_TEST).

Thanks

[Updated on: Thu, 11 March 2010 07:15]

Report message to a moderator

icon10.gif  Re: no feedback? - problem with case sensitivity when trying to run stored procs [message #519103 is a reply to message #515427] Sat, 06 March 2010 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I was hoping it would be me overlooking something or doing something wrong as I find it hard to believe that DTP can not properly handle case sensitivity (in procedure names).

Can anyone please confirm whether this is a restriction in DTP or not?

Thanks

[Updated on: Sun, 07 March 2010 17:45]

Re: no feedback? - problem with case sensitivity when trying to run stored procs [message #519424 is a reply to message #519103] Mon, 08 March 2010 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian Fitzpatrick is currently offline Brian FitzpatrickFriend
Thomas.K.Hill@t-online.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was hoping it would be me overlooking something or doing somting wrong
> as I found it hard to believe that DTP can not properly handle case
> sensitivity (in procedure names).
>
> Can anyone please confirm whether this is a restriction in DTP or not?
>
> Thanks
>
What database are you using? Case sensitivity is often dependent on the
JDBC driver.
Re: problem with case sensitivity when trying to run stored procs [message #519437 is a reply to message #519424] Mon, 08 March 2010 19:47 Go to previous message
Hi,

I am using Apache Derby 10.5.3.0. I know this database (or it's JDBC driver) by default is case sensitive. Shouldn't DTP to properly handle such drivers/databases always include object names in double quotes to be on the safe side? as this would work for (people defining) database objects with capital letters only AND also for those making use of case sensitivity?

The DTP Database Explorer shows my sample object "SP_Test" in schema APPL as SP_Test (without quotes).

When using the generate DDL context menu a DDL statement

CREATE PROCEDURE SP_Test

is generated - whereas imho the statement should be

CREATE PROCEDURE APPL."SP_Test" .

Same when trying to run the procedure. The 'Configure Parameter' page comes up fine, but when trying to execute the statement the command string

CALL APPL.SP_Test is generated in the background and submittted. This time the schema name is included in the generated statement, but still the procedure name is not surrounded by double quotes which is why the error

APPL.SP_TEST is not recognised as a function or procedure

is thrown (Note the procedure name in all capital letters).

This is why I was asking whether there might be an option which can be set when configuring DTP that case sensitivity is required / to include double quotes in generated DDL/DML statements.

Thanks
Thomas

[Updated on: Tue, 09 March 2010 06:51]

Re: problem with case sensitivity when trying to run stored procs [message #597367 is a reply to message #519424] Mon, 08 March 2010 19:47 Go to previous message
Hi,

I am using Apache Derby 10.5.3.0. I know this database is case sensitive. Shouldn't DTP always include object names in double quotes to be on the safe side? as this would work for (people defining) database objects with capital letters only AND for those making use of case sensitivity?

The DTP Database Explorer shows my sample object "SP_Test" in schema APPL as SP_Test (withou quotes).

When using the generate DDL context menu a DDL statement

CREATE PROCEDURE SP_Test

is generated - whereas imho the statement should be

CREATE PROCEDURE APPL."SP_Test" .

Same when trying to run the procedure. The 'Configure Parameter' page comes up fine, but when trying to execute the statement

CALL APPL.SP_Test is generated in the background and submittted. This time the schema name is included in the generated statement, but still the procedure name is not surrounded by double quotes which is why the error

APPL.SP_TEST is not recognised as a function or procedure is thrown (Note the procedure name in all capital letters).

This is why I was asking whether there might be an option which can be set when configuring DTP that case senstivity is required / to include double quotes in generated DDL/DML statements.

Thanks
Thomas
Previous Topic:problem with case sensitivity when tring to run stored procs
Next Topic:Access to Connection Profiles
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 10:04:29 GMT 2024